Author Topic: Capture the Flag  (Read 9948 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Capture the Flag
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:23:03 am »
4v4, one ship from a team is chosen as the flag, the flag has to reach one of two points red or blue, flags are taken by killing the ships. Flag is always spotted on the map as an area of probability.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:24:48 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Capture the Flag
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:30 am »
Why not make it traditional CTF

Ships have to take the flag from the enemy base and make it back to their own intact.  Galleons could play defense, squids could be cappers etc

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:12 am »
Its an idea that works in things like Metal Drift but in GOIO it likely would have issues. Be much easier to do a VIP match gametype or say, Juggernaut gametype. Juggernaut is a classic term from Marathon games where one person would be the Juggernaut and get huge buffs to make them virtually unstoppable. Everyone else has to kill them and the one who finally kills them gets to become the new Juggernaut. That however, would require a FFA mode in place first.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:12 am »
Well the Juggernaut should be a unique ship... but that's way off topic.

Granted 4v4 is a bit small for capture the flag but I think it could work.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:53 am »
MINES. There Are no allies — theoretically this could work in a 4v4 Crazy king or Deathmatch, currently. (provided you use rams and mines to kill.)

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:37 am »
I would love to see other game mode based on this ideas, altough they would be challenging and long. I suport this so much :D

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:49 am »
Goio quidditch

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:42 am »
Squidditch?

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:36:47 am »
I've thought about capture the flag like maps but.. I never felt it would work out really given how ships are balanced. It sounds like it would tend to favor squids .. since once they have the flag they can just run away.. (depending on map design and such)..

And with only 4 ships it would be hard to defend your flag and attack theirs..

Maybe a gamemode like I think TF2 has (I have never played TF2 buy have seen my younger brother playing it..) Where you have to push the minecart to somewhere?..

IE a mode like CP where while one team controls it .. it moves one way and when the other team controls it .. it goes the other way.. and you win when it reaches your side..

Maybe it could be getting a transport ship of goods to your village.. or something..

That's not really capture the flag.. but it is capture something.. and I think would be a little more workable with how the game is atm....

This made me think of an aside idea... but I'll put it down anyway.. what if Resource race work more like.. You don't capture the points.. instead you collect supplies from the point then have to transport it back to your base.. if you are killed an enemy can then take those supplies.. While your loaded up with goods you could be slowed a bit.. making you more vulnerable if you try to do it alone.. (I guess this is another "Capture something" type map anyways).. It may work better if the map only has like 2 points.. or need to consider carefully where the collect points are and where the bases are to make it more likely you will fight over it..

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »
This made me think of an aside idea... but I'll put it down anyway.. what if Resource race work more like.. You don't capture the points.. instead you collect supplies from the point then have to transport it back to your base.. if you are killed an enemy can then take those supplies.. While your loaded up with goods you could be slowed a bit.. making you more vulnerable if you try to do it alone.. (I guess this is another "Capture something" type map anyways).. It may work better if the map only has like 2 points.. or need to consider carefully where the collect points are and where the bases are to make it more likely you will fight over it..

Sounds interesting

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »
Capture the flag? What are we, sand grunts? Nay! We shall have capture the balloon. All we need is working harpoon mechanics and two willing target dummies retextured as cargo balloons.

Resource race? Add more cargo balloons spawning in at set points. Win by dragging as much cargo back to your base as possible. Squids would have an advantage? Nay! With mass calculated in, Squids would be pulling pretty hard and thus slowed down, while Galleons would steam ahead without much bother, perhaps even towing two loads of cargo. Want to go faster? Hook two ships up to the same cargo balloon.

Hell, just for fun, leave the rusty mortars active. In Capture the Balloon, have them shoot at the enemy team (yes, even as they are being towed). If the towing ship is destroyed, the cargo balloon engages engines and starts flying back to base.

In resource Race, have them side with whoever has them harpooned. For extra bonus fun, swap out the rusty mortars for dilapidated mine launchers (they shoot old, weak mines with limp balloons that slowly sink to the ground and explode), or other random weaker versions of existing guns.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »
Capture the flag? What are we, sand grunts? Nay! We shall have capture the balloon. All we need is working harpoon mechanics and two willing target dummies retextured as cargo balloons.

Resource race? Add more cargo balloons spawning in at set points. Win by dragging as much cargo back to your base as possible. Squids would have an advantage? Nay! With mass calculated in, Squids would be pulling pretty hard and thus slowed down, while Galleons would steam ahead without much bother, perhaps even towing two loads of cargo. Want to go faster? Hook two ships up to the same cargo balloon.

Hell, just for fun, leave the rusty mortars active. In Capture the Balloon, have them shoot at the enemy team (yes, even as they are being towed). If the towing ship is destroyed, the cargo balloon engages engines and starts flying back to base.

In resource Race, have them side with whoever has them harpooned. For extra bonus fun, swap out the rusty mortars for dilapidated mine launchers (they shoot old, weak mines with limp balloons that slowly sink to the ground and explode), or other random weaker versions of existing guns.

This sounds amazing.  Why don't we have this already?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »