Author Topic: Gunnery for Dummies v1.3.5  (Read 56000 times)

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnery for Dummies v1.3.5
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 07:25:23 pm »
That didn't take as long as I thought. New version is up now. DPS calculations should be correct.

Stable links
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nren7iup46pn38f/Hq1BTC1AAs
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6mzwhxzgaIEVjRpQ3FOVXVEdzQ&usp=sharing

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 03:26:48 am »
Thanks for your work and your heads up in advance Erheller!
I just took a look at the updated document and didn't spot dramatic changes at the first glance - did I miss something?
I'll probably update the table in the op (along with some other changes/additions) once I've covered all guns.

When this guide is finished and I have built a PC capable - would you be open to turning this into a video guide?
It'd be a great resource to have somewhere that the community could just link people to. I know I'd use it if someone else made one - especially one as comprehensive, useful and in-depth as this guide. :D
If Ailen and Echoez don't mind - go ahead!

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:08 am »
Mostly it was just the firing rate of guns that was incorrect. About half were correct, of the rest, most errors were pretty minor. The hwacha was off by a factor of 10, though.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »
The Dragon Tongue Flamethrower

Primary Damage:

Secondary Damage: -

"The Dragon Tongue, or just the Dragon, works just like you would expect a regular flamethrower to work, it unleashes a fiery hell onto the enemy from close range. While the fire damage from the weapon is not all that high or powerful against anything but the enemy's naked hull and the balloon, the weapon's ability to ignite enemy ship components and apply multiple stacks of fire continuously is probably unmatched. This will make enemy engineers run around in panic, extinguishing the fires you set. Spread the warmth!"   - Echoez
The flamethrower has the unique characteristic of shooting particles rather than projectiles like all other guns. Unlike projectiles, particles can travel through components which allows single particles to hit multiple components in a series.
Each flamer particles has the chance of 23.9% to ignite the component it hits.

Play Style
the main purpose of the flamethrower is to add fire stacks to components rather than dealing direct damage with the gun. Fire stacks are most threatening to the balloon, followed by the hull armor, followed by a long break, followed by components. That being said, when shooting the flamer, you should still try to aim for guns and engines rather than the enemies hull. That's because of the flamers particles ability to hit multiple components in series you'll very likely hit the hull and/or balloon of the enemy as well if you target their guns and engines. Furthermore if a gun catches more than 7 fire stacks the player is kicked of the gun if he mans it and no one can use it again until the fire on the gun has been reduced to less than 8 stacks again. This can come in very handy to disable guns.
The flamer should be shot regardless of the enemies hull status. It is capeable of dealing a noticeable permanent hull damage and setting stuff on fire while your enemies engines try to patch the hull together again literally makes them sweat.
One last note regarding setting fire charges: chem spray prevents setting firecharges. If you see a component covered in a white, spiderweb-like texture you will not be able to ignite them. This renders your weapon almost useless against chem-sprayed components.

Viable Ammo Types
greased rounds
greased rounds maximize the fire charges/time and direct dps at the cost of a reduced range.

lesmok rounds
lesmok rounds almost double the range of the flamer at the cost of reduced firestacks/time and reduced direct dps

burst rounds
While flamer particles don't have an AoE to increase, Burst rounds increase the size of the particles themselves allowing easier hits on (multiple) components. - Source

A rather uncommon choice for the flamethrower. Still heavy clips can come in handy if you want to use it to disable guns. Remember that 8+ fire-stacks kick players off their gun. Hence, in case you want to your enemies gunner(s) to permanently cry for their engineers to fix their toy you've ruined, heavy clips can be a viable ammo choice. However choosing this ammo comes along with a dps drop and a reduced fire stack chance/time.

incendiary rounds
I mention these rounds here because it seems to be a common ammo choice for the flamethrower. Hence I'd like to elaborate why you should choose greased rounds instead whenever you consider to use incendiary rounds. The idea behind picking incendiary ammo is to maximize the chance of setting fire stacks on components. However greased rounds provide a higher ignition chance/time than incendiary rounds (6.4 firestacks/s with greased vs. 5.1 firestacks/s with incendiary or 4.42 firestacks/s vs 3.94 firestacks/s with reload time taken into account). On top of that greased rounds deal 5/3 of indendiary rounds direct dps. Furthermore the maximum range of the flamer particles is only reduced by 20% with greased rounds, while the range of the incendiary particles is reduced by 25%.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:23:18 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 06:37:33 pm »
Salutes to you Sir for putting together this guide! I don't have anything to add, everything necessary is already there. Keep it up!

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:34 pm »
Thanks! And don't worry, I'll continue to update this thread. The frequency of posts adding new guns has just been reduced lately because I'm quite busy with other stuff atm. Still I should be able to find a time slot of half an hour once or twice a week to add a new post.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »
The Echidna Light Flak Cannon

Primary Damage:

Secondary Damage:

The light flak cannon deals a decent ammount of explosive damage within brief bursts. Its projectiles have got an almost neglectable drop and spread. Compared to the mortar the flak cannon as a quite high precision. This, combined with the relatively high projectile velocity which makes hitting moving targets easier, makes the flak cannon a good choice for a mid-range encounter finisher.
The gun has got an arming distance of 225m which means that the major fraction of this weapon is not dealt if your target is very close to you.

Play Style
The main purpose of the flak cannon is to take out the enemies permanent hull once their armor is down. if you notice the hull breaking sound, see the log notification of a hull break in the upper left corner or see hit markers turning red on your target, it's your time to place your volley into their hull.
Usually light flak cannons are shot by engineers. If that's the case for you, make sure that you don't get sucked into gunning - the light flak really isn't needed in your engagements until the enemies hull break. Feel free to focus on other stuff at the beginning of your engagements like repairing stuff or buffing equipment (like the weapon which is stripping the hull for you). While you focus on helping out on other places than your gun, keep a close eye on your engagement with the enemy, as you definitly want to be ready to fire the flak instantly after the enemies hull breaks. If you see your hades/gat gunner nailing his volley or your ally joining you on the same target, head to the direction of your flak cannon already! Once smoke emits from your foes hull, which is an indicator their armor almost being broken, you already want to stand next to flak.
When shooting the flak as an engineer with  buff equipment, make sure to keep your flak pre-buffed and finish the buff right before you start shooting! A flak cannon on its own can not inflict sufficient damage to kill any ship but the junker with a single volley if it's not buffed and normal ammunition is used. If the gun is buffed the pyra, mobula and spire can be shot down with  a single clip as well.

Viable Ammunition Types

greased rounds maximize the dps of a single flak volley. They also reduce the arming distance of the flak cannon.

charged rounds increase the dps of the weapon as well as increasing the damage per clip.

lesmok rounds increase the maximum range of the flak. It's a good choice if you plan to snipe your enemies and will likely get rid of their armor before they reach the 800m mark. On the downside your dps will be lowered and your arming distance increases.

When shooting the weapon unbuffed, burst rounds are the only ammo type which lets you deal more than 700 damage with a single clip (735 to be more precise). It is the only ammunition which allows you to kill a pyramideon or mobula with a single volley and leaves a spire with 15 permanent hull health points.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 03:02:34 pm »
Viable Ammunition Types

greased rounds maximize the dps of a single flak volley. They also reduce the arming distance of the flak cannon.
Greased rounds should also decrease the maximum range, yes? What is the effective range using greased? (armed range -> max range) Also, how does this compare to the hades effective range with normal ammo?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »
Light flak with greased
180-700

Source: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3059.0.html
Ohey. Look at that. A thing I should have looked for before asking silly questions. *facepalm*
Thanks.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
neat I didn't stumble upon that gem so far, thanks for linking it! :)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 08:26:55 am »
I rate heat-sink clip as better ammunition for the light flak over greased rounds.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »
Wow, i never tought of heavyclip on a Flamethrower for the sake of stacking on a single component.

This is great, thanks. Brings up more creative ways to build my ships!

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »
I rate heat-sink clip as better ammunition for the light flak over greased rounds.
what's your reasoning for this?

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
Heatsink: 30% ammo in the clip, and 50% faster gun turn speed/ -30% projectile speed (smaller arming time), -25% damage
So, ≈8 shots per clip (rounded up from 7.8 ) and -25% damage, so its damage output should be about the same as the gun with regular clips loaded.