Author Topic: Adventure Mode... it's coming (Kickstarter).  (Read 342276 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Adventure Mode... it's coming (Kickstarter).
« Reply #240 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »
The Ducks need to pool their money and get NPC resemblance kickstarter.

A duck already has.

I had this weird daydream where the USMC contributed enough money to have the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier incorporated into adventure mode as a neutral town some where in the barrens. It was filled with npc's who look very much like Marines in dress uniform. The town only gives quests for oil to keep the eternal flame alight and any hostile action against the town is met with an excessively heavy beat down possible involving Tesla weapons.

Offline William Winters

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:57 am »
Backed it. I would love to have an MMO based on this. :)

Offline Kevin of Zhufbar

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:08 pm »
Hrrrmmm 30 dollars so far but... ... somehow ive been missing 35 dollars more... I THINK MUSE IS USING MIND CONTROL =)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2013, 11:09:57 pm »
That last Q&A stream sorta touched on my question about the last Kickstarter but didn't really explain what Muse is doing about it.  I'm starting to get a little nervous about it.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:25 pm »
Oh my... Somebody just donated 10,000 to the kickstarter... Should we find out who it is and engrave their name on a stone tablet or two and display it and worship it?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:48 am »
Oh my... Somebody just donated 10,000 to the kickstarter... Should we find out who it is and engrave their name on a stone tablet or two and display it and worship it?

It was Bacon.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2013, 12:29:56 am »
Was it really Bacon.? I flew with him on his first day I believe

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2013, 02:31:13 am »
Wow, 10,000.  That's a frightening amount of money for a private investor I'd think.  What kid of assurances does ks have that substantial contributions like that are delivered anyways?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2013, 05:57:13 am »
Probably an insider.

I'm amazed anyone in the higher tiers would accept anything other than an equity stake or profit-share, but I think KS precludes these.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:22 am »
Think it was a clever inside strategy to create a donation frenzy?

I've seen several items reach their goals with a month to spare, and now that the "promised goods" are a sure thing donations would flood in for the deals or stretch goals.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2013, 06:35:18 am »
Think it was a clever inside strategy to create a donation frenzy?

I think the marketing benefit is worth the commission loss to KS.

It's happened earlier than I would have expected, and I wasn't expecting it to be a single $10k pledge - I expected it to be more suitable than that.  Part of what makes the $10k (and to be honest the $2.5k) pledged implausible as outsider-supporters is that it's too big a commitment as an altruistic statement - you'd definitely be wanting some sort of return on that, and you'd want more information to go on than that Muse has shared with the player community. 

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2013, 07:04:45 am »
as someone who will ultimately have more fun building ships/guns/THE WORLD/etc based on how well this kickstarter does. . . . i don't even question where or who. . . as long as no living sacrifices were made in the processes of pledging that much money. . . though i suppose thinking about it. . it'd be more exciting to see 10,000 people pledge 1 buck than 1 person pledge 10,000, not that i'm complaining in any way shape or form.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:34 am »
I'm still a bit concerned that some or even most of the backers are under the false impression that this Kickstarter is funding COMPLETE adventure mode. This concerns me because of the fickle nature of the internet. I would hate to see a mob mentality form in the uneducated masses (read: majority of the internet) falsely vilifying Muse.

The wording is a little confusing that we are only outright funding the AI/PvE. By "confusing" I mean that anyone with intelligence and a basic grasp of the written language who ACTUALLY READ the Kickstarter should understand the "pillars" that need to be funded. Unfortunately this is the internet, and I know a lot of backers did NOT read the full copy on the main page.

Of less concern was my unanswered question earlier in the thread. It appears the "stretch/over-funding" from the initial Kickstarter did not 'bleed over' into the adventure mode pillars. What I mean by that is, even though there was $25k over funding on the initial pillar, the next goal was an even $100k, not $75k (meaning the $25k from the first carried over) OR $125k (meaning this pillar was an ADDITIONAL $100k). How will this be handled in the next three pillars? Is Eco/Political going to be funded at $350k LESS whatever is raised this time? Or will it be starting from $0 and raising a total of $350k in new capital?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:35:04 am by dragonmere »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2013, 11:49:40 am »
I believe that was quasi answered when it was addressed that the target funding was for this particular funding to maintain the current team and roll out content with the establish release tempo.
Any further ks campiegns would have to be adjusted to match the staffing/production needs of the next goal at that time and would be in a state of flux till a hard date was set for a new campiegn.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
I understand how much running a company can cost. It's very hard to lay out a firm figure and say "thats all we need". Things pop up, costs change, it's very dynamic. I totally understand. I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate, which is a lot more mild than the potential mob mentality of an angry internet.

There is a huge difference of almost 50% in funding if they're overall intended to be cumulative or completely separate. The final goal of $500k seems quite doable with the rolling release plan, but ($100k + $350k + $500k + overfunding=) $950k minimum doesn't seem quite as hopeful to me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:30:28 pm by dragonmere »