Author Topic: 1.3.5 Balance Changes  (Read 28741 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.5 Balance Changes
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:15 pm »
Oh awesome. Thanks!

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »
I dislike the idea of reducing the turning speed of the artemis. It's quite low already and having to lift and move the mouse repetitively in order to point at the stuff one wants to hit isn't a fun mechanic.

The trick is just to move the mouse slower: I have NEVER had to lift my mouse to track any ship with any gun (including trying to track Squid with the Artemis or Lumberjack). Just don't move the mouse faster than the turning rate: doing so accomplishes nothing in terms of increasing the movement, and often makes lifting necessary.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:09 pm »
I dislike the idea of reducing the turning speed of the artemis. It's quite low already and having to lift and move the mouse repetitively in order to point at the stuff one wants to hit isn't a fun mechanic.

The trick is just to move the mouse slower: I have NEVER had to lift my mouse to track any ship with any gun (including trying to track Squid with the Artemis or Lumberjack). Just don't move the mouse faster than the turning rate: doing so accomplishes nothing in terms of increasing the movement, and often makes lifting necessary.

Yep, that's the right thing to do. Now I'm exited and want to turn my gun really really quickly and I end up moving the mouse faster than necessary nevertheless. It's somewhat intuitive to think quicker input correlates with faster movement ingame (and until a certain cap is reached, this is actually true). I observe myself falling for this every now and then.

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
I would have been happier to see an arming time to its Shatter damage. Maybe within 500 metres? It shouldn't be able to pull the teeth out of assaulting ships by disabling weapons at a close range that would normally be reserved for gattling or heavy ammo caronade

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:05 pm »
Other suggestions welcome.

I'll reiterate my previous suggestion of decreasing the downward arc and adding an arming time to the projectile then. I'd probably change things to make the gun's primary shatter damage and its secondary explosive. This would do two major things.

Secondly, adding an arming time and making the Shatter damage the primary makes the gun a disabler/hull killer at range, but limits it to simply disabling at close range: this gives an obvious counterplay (fly close), while allowing the Artemis ship to disable engines to regain their distance. The gun remains effective in its primary role (disabling) even at close range, but isn't the end-all of versatility that it is at medium/long range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does primary damage have any AOE? I thought it was reserved only for secondary damage. If you made Shatter primary, then you'd need to get direct hits on components to knock them out. You might as well do that with a gattling at that range. But I do like having an arming time added tho, they pretty much added it to most of the hard hitting ranged weapons available.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 09:39:30 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does primary damage have any AOE? I thought it was reserved only for secondary damage. If you made Shatter primary, then you'd need to get direct hits on components to knock them out. You might as well do that with a gattling at that range. But I do like having an arming time added tho, they pretty much added it to most of the hard hitting ranged weapons available.

It would require changing the no AoE on primary rule, yes.