Author Topic: 1.3.5 Balance Changes  (Read 29640 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
1.3.5 Balance Changes
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:39 am »
Biggest change is the Artemis:

Artemis— Muzzle Speed reduced to 575m/s from 700m/s (Shell Life adjusted to maintain ~1330m range), Project Expansion (where the bullet hitbox expands as it travels) Reduced by 30%, AoE Burst Size Reduced to 2.5m from 3.5m, Yaw Speed decreased to 25 degrees/s from 30 d/s

Otherwise only small changes were made to capture maps in light of spawn changes (matches oftentimes lasted too long).

Refinery—Goals 600 from 650 points, Capture Time: 25s from 30s
Labyrinth—Goals: 525 from 600 points, Capture Time: 20s from 35s
Scrap—Goals: 600 from 800 points, Capture Time: 20s from 25s
Anglean—Goals: 550 from 675 points, Capture Time: 25s from 35s
Flayed—Capture Time: 30s from 40s

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.5 Balance Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:45:51 am »
I made a song for this

Skilled artie back

I'm bringing skilled Artie back, yeah
Those other players won't know how to react, yeah
Even with a meter less area of effect, yeah
I'll disable ships back to back

Take em to the bridge

Gunner babe, do you see that reduced muzzle speed
You'll have to learn how to truly lead
Cause you can't hit them any other way

Take em to the chorus

Nerfed a gun
Go ahead we'll run with it
Same damage
Yaw decrease
Skill increase
Show me what you're working with
Disable them ships
Shooter you make me smile
Lock em down child
And get you're artie on

Get you're artie on
Get you're artie on
Get you're artie on
Get you're artie on
Get you're artie on
Get you're artie on

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
Sammy!

You and Me, Karaoke friday...

Offline Mizhir Starsurge

• Salutes: 21
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:57 am »
Nerf Sammy

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:09 am »
Let's keep the thread on topic please.

Offline Dolphirus

• Salutes: 5
    • [DWG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »
I took that bit about "bullet hitbox expanding" to mean greater spread, but I certainly didn't notice anything. Can anyone better explain that to me?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 12:54:05 pm »
Certain bullets like the artemis and most over sniper guns have projectiles which expand their hitbox throughout their travel. That way you get much easier hits on longer ranges making sniping small components easier.
On the artemis the increasing hitbox was to big so they reduced the amount the projectile expands.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 12:54:35 pm »
Some long range weapon's bullets will become larger the farther they travel in order to reliably hit very long range targets. 

This change altered the artemis shot to expand at a slower rate so the the projectile's max size would be less.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:22 pm »
I've just played a couple of artemis heavy builds. Here are my first impressions:
- One has to shoot a bit more precisely now - targeting the general area isn't enough anymore to take out specific components in the mid range area (400-800m).
- I've adjusted quickly to the reduced projectile velocity and didn't feel a major change in difficulty when it comes to aiming.
- It's still possible to lock down enemies from afar and finish them off while they're still literally a mile away. In close combat situations it's still possible to use the artemises to precisely take out critical components and they're also still good to deliver the killing blow once the enemies hull has been stripped. Overall the artemis still does the job it did before the patch with barely reduced efficiency.
- based on my guts, on a scale from 0 to 10 with 0 beeing absolutely underpowered, 10 absolutely overpowered and 5 a perfectly balanced weapon, I think you've moved the artemis from an 8 to a 7 with this patch.

Edit:
Regarding the CP adjustment: I've played 2 Labyrinth so far. They felt more dynamic (the balloon owner swapped owners relatively often in both matches). Also battles seem to shift their locations a bit closer to the balloon, as it's necessary to step in earlier if an enemy sneaks up on the center.
On a side-note: The Globe-thingy in the center is gone. That's a bug isn't it?
I'm looking forward to see how the changed affect the 3v3 matches, but I'm sure they're a step into the right direction as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:49:47 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »
@Wundsalz

That's funny because a lot of people were upset that I was planning to change yaw speed to 23 degrees/s instead of the 25 that went out today.  I am more than willing to push down to 23d/s if the Artemis is still considered overpowered.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 02:24:59 pm »
@Wundsalz

That's funny because a lot of people were upset that I was planning to change yaw speed to 23 degrees/s instead of the 25 that went out today.  I am more than willing to push down to 23d/s if the Artemis is still considered overpowered.

I honestly don't think the yaw speed is  the major balance factor for the artemis.  I didn't really speak out much in the debate because its relevance on the weapons balance is negligible despite the heated discussion.  If yaw were changed enough to truly affect the gun balance, the fun factor would take a severe hit due to the extreme time it took to move the gun from the central default position to target.

I was suspecting pre patch that the weapon still may need some alterations however I think a more direct approach with changes to dps and projectile speed would be best should further changes be necessary (disclaimer, I have yet to play with the artemis in production).

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »
@Smollett

That's fair.  23d/s might not be the way to go but I'd consider it regardless.

People will always love their meta and blood will always be spilled when I take it away :)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
Great, now any argument against reducing the effectiveness of the gun is now going to be written off as whining.

The problem with the artemis wasn't that it was over powered, it was simply overused which is easy to mistake as over powered. Now with the much slower muzzle speed and the moderately slower yaw, hopefully we will see some decline in its overuse as it won't be as easy a gun to use. Then maybe the community can get a bit less knee jerky about the whole situation

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:41:32 pm »
Great, now any argument against reducing the effectiveness of the gun is now going to be written off as whining.

The problem with the artemis wasn't that it was over powered, it was simply overused which is easy to mistake as over powered. Now with the much slower muzzle speed and the moderately slower yaw, hopefully we will see some decline in its overuse as it won't be as easy a gun to use. Then maybe the community can get a bit less knee jerky about the whole situation

I would argue the problem with the artemis previously was that it was too easy to use for maximum effect.  I'm waiting to see if this patch ameliorates the issue.

One could also argue that the artemis was too self reliant of a weapon able to do virtually everything at all ranges without the need of other weaponry.  I'd prefer not to start that debate on this thread but it is certainly one of the concerns that was raised.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:42 pm »
I look forward to seeing artemis changes be shown in high level play, but after a few games in the new patch so far, artemis spam is still pretty much death in pug matches.