Author Topic: Guns of Icarus Online App  (Read 24303 times)

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Guns of Icarus Online App
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:55 am »
I think controlling the AI brings in more disadvantages than benefits. Trolls and prolems when actual players join etc. Kinda what everyone else has mentioned.
How about something like you can see the map and the ships (Of only one certain team, cannot switch view until the game ends) But you can see the enemy ships if it is spotted.
Draw out paths or type out suggestions to captains.

^Just my take on the suggestions but really, I don't think we actually need an app of some sort. And personally Muse should keep focusing on adventure mode/ the ps4 and PC versions of the game rather than trying to develop a new app that could potentially make a lot of problems.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 08:22:46 am »
I think controlling the AI brings in more disadvantages than benefits. Trolls and prolems when actual players join etc. Kinda what everyone else has mentioned.
How about something like you can see the map and the ships (Of only one certain team, cannot switch view until the game ends) But you can see the enemy ships if it is spotted.
Draw out paths or type out suggestions to captains.

^Just my take on the suggestions but really, I don't think we actually need an app of some sort. And personally Muse should keep focusing on adventure mode/ the ps4 and PC versions of the game rather than trying to develop a new app that could potentially make a lot of problems.
Finally someone understands.
Just having an app for this game to control AI is such a disadvantage.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Guns of Icarus Online App
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 05:34:53 am »
I just know I'd purchase it for $1.00-$5.00 because I'm such a big Guns of Icarus fan. I doubt extra cash on the side would hurt any kind of production. The match lobby would have an App Player Access enable/disable box just to keep it optional in case you already have a good crew, you for some reason want AI more, or just plain don't like cellphones.

Also.. strangers wouldn't be able to randomly download the app and mess with things.. You'd need a legit Guns Of Icarus account first to be able to log in.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 05:53:06 am »
I just know I'd purchase it for $1.00-$5.00 because I'm such a big Guns of Icarus fan. I doubt extra cash on the side would hurt any kind of production. The match lobby would have an App Player Access enable/disable box just to keep it optional in case you already have a good crew, you for some reason want AI more, or just plain don't like cellphones.

Also.. strangers wouldn't be able to randomly download the app and mess with things.. You'd need a legit Guns Of Icarus account first to be able to log in.

To make it viable, especially at $1 to $5 I think you would need to market to the whole mobile player base.  So you would have to create a mobile game that is playable without needing to have existing GoIO friends in game.  Maybe an experience like the original Guns of Icarus game: a single ship with a full crew of players, but updated to use the AI director and a ship that is pilot-able.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 10:23:28 am »
You thinking LAN functionality would be used for that, ram?

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »
You thinking LAN functionality would be used for that, ram?

Maybe, I hadn't thought that far ahead into the implementation of that crazy idea :P

Offline Ernest Wolf

• Salutes: 5
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile page.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »
Wow, it's a great idea. I wish I had a smartphone, though. If this happens, I am getting it for once and for all!

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:26 am »
I don't like the fact that you have to replace AI for other people slapping some buttons on a touchscreen.
How can you make a touchscreen player spot an enemy ship?
How can you let touchscreen people decide what tool to use on a Shipcomponent?
How will you make a touchscreen player decide what ammo to use when picking a gun?
Will an touchscreen player have an advantage over AI and actually be able to focus on a specific ship rather then shooting the most obvious one?

What is the profit of having an touchscreen player on your ship?

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
Agreed! >:I

No but I agree that it would be hard to balance. I mean, to make it a better crew option than AI (which it'd have to be, because why implement it if it's gonna be the same/worse?), if the whole thing is just pressing buttons, then it has to be automated to make good decisions and that means no skill or knowledge or any thinking whatsoever from the player. E.g. The hull is down, you press "Repair hull" and that's that. If it was on fire or had health too low to use the mallet safely, the player never knew.

I just think it kinda defeats that whole point of the game where you need to know your shizzle or learn from mistakes how to do stuff best. The gunner deal is also difficult because it's not just the ship you're aiming at, but also what part of it. AI chooses by itself, so if the mobile player here just taps "Shoot gun" and it decides for him where and how then it's the same.

It would be fun tho to be able to see matches from mobile devices xD Like just a map like the one that we already have with all ships marked and such, and when you tap on one you can see stats and crew, and it could show the score on top and notifications like "Player1 destroyed hull armor" and "BOOM BABLAMBAM killed Lockheart's Tiny Squid" etc. much like the spectator mode we have now, but without filling spectator slots maybe, so it would be great for Fight the Devs and all those fun competitions :D

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 10:30:45 am »

No but I agree that it would be hard to balance. I mean, to make it a better crew option than AI (which it'd have to be, because why implement it if it's gonna be the same/worse?), if the whole thing is just pressing buttons, then it has to be automated to make good decisions and that means no skill or knowledge or any thinking whatsoever from the player. E.g. The hull is down, you press "Repair hull" and that's that. If it was on fire or had health too low to use the mallet safely, the player never knew.

I just think it kinda defeats that whole point of the game where you need to know your shizzle or learn from mistakes how to do stuff best. The gunner deal is also difficult because it's not just the ship you're aiming at, but also what part of it. AI chooses by itself, so if the mobile player here just taps "Shoot gun" and it decides for him where and how then it's the same.

It would be fun tho to be able to see matches from mobile devices xD Like just a map like the one that we already have with all ships marked and such, and when you tap on one you can see stats and crew, and it could show the score on top and notifications like "Player1 destroyed hull armor" and "BOOM BABLAMBAM killed Lockheart's Tiny Squid" etc. much like the spectator mode we have now, but without filling spectator slots maybe, so it would be great for Fight the Devs and all those fun competitions :D

My initial thought was an emphatic yes, but you guys raise good points. There is a lot that goes into every aspect of being on a ship that someone on a phone just won't be able to get. For example, your engine column gets taken out by a hwacha. Do I rebuild the turning or main engine first? There is no way to communicate that to someone on a phone, so someone on a phone is going to be as helpful as an AI. You would need to have the captain be able to give specific commands for each component, at which point you may as well just be able to tell the AI what to do instead.
Also, how would this possibly work on a squid? You have to be so multifunctional on a squid, and know where the enemy is, that realistically this would be worse than an AI.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 11:29:38 am »
What about just spectate mode with voice command buttons. Voice commands like "you go girl" or "nice shootin tex"

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:00 am »
What about just spectate mode with voice command buttons. Voice commands like "you go girl" or "nice shootin tex"
I approve of this so much xD

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »
I don't like the fact that you have to replace AI for other people slapping some buttons on a touchscreen.
How can you make a touchscreen player spot an enemy ship?
How can you let touchscreen people decide what tool to use on a Shipcomponent?
How will you make a touchscreen player decide what ammo to use when picking a gun?
Will an touchscreen player have an advantage over AI and actually be able to focus on a specific ship rather then shooting the most obvious one?

The AI could have a Spyglass Icon option for spotting enemy ships that aren't behind any cover.

With the interface you could see a box containing all of the component icons for repairing and guns to man. As for deciding for which tools/ammo to repair with/shoot with the AI should already know, though that may take away some of the fun. There could be an icon representing each tool/ammo for you to select to add more to do.

There should be a list of enemy ship names to choose from when firing the guns.

All needed direction info could be gathered from the live chat feed/voice commands mentioned in my original suggestion post.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »

My initial thought was an emphatic yes, but you guys raise good points. There is a lot that goes into every aspect of being on a ship that someone on a phone just won't be able to get. For example, your engine column gets taken out by a hwacha. Do I rebuild the turning or main engine first? There is no way to communicate that to someone on a phone, so someone on a phone is going to be as helpful as an AI. You would need to have the captain be able to give specific commands for each component, at which point you may as well just be able to tell the AI what to do instead.
Also, how would this possibly work on a squid? You have to be so multifunctional on a squid, and know where the enemy is, that realistically this would be worse than an AI.

If everything I mentioned in my original post wasn't implemented then all of those things you mentioned would pose problems. Good thing I took the time to mention all of those things in my original post that would help to eliminate those problems.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:12 pm »
There wouldn't be just one button that says "Repair engines". There'd be [Engine 1], [Engine 2] and [Engine 3] icons shown as little pictures of engines that are touch activated. When activated the AI is sent to it.