Author Topic: Ability for everyone to watch competitive matches  (Read 10487 times)

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Ability for everyone to watch competitive matches
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:00 pm »
Sometimes I'm browsing the server browser and I see scrims or other competitive matches I want to watch. Sometimes if I'm lucky, the match is being casted and I can figure out who's casting by asking around on global or just checking all of the GoI Twitch streams I know of.

Other times, I'm not so lucky.

I'd love to see a way for more people to watch these games within the client. Maybe competitive matches could have more spectator slots than usual. Maybe there could be special lobbies that are dedicated to spectators. I don't know what the best implementation will be - I just know that I'd appreciate a way to watch ongoing scrims without having to rely on Twitch or Youtube.

Potential upsides:
  • Promote competitive play
  • Help players improve by watching good teams play
  • No more threads like this
Potential problems:
  • Lag and server-related issues - We all know that GoI is laggy for some of us. Maybe having a lot of people connected as spectators will make that worse.
  • Ghosting (cheating) - This can already happen with the livestreams, but if it ever becomes a problem, you could approach it like CS:GO does: have the spectators watch version that's delayed by a couple of minutes so by the time the spectators see something, that information is already useless to the people playing.

Thoughts?

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
Re: Ability for everyone to watch competitive matches
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:19 pm »
I do enjoy streaming. I do believe that any attempt at cheating will be brought down immediatly by the delay which will just about void anything they want.... 20 seconds will throw off a lot

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:37:34 am »
I believe there was originally no limit to spectator slots, but that caused a lot of problems when people like Total Biscuit started showing up so I don't see the spectator slots growing from 4.  It would be cool to either have links to streams from the match list or some sort of in game video feed from spectators though.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:11:09 am »
Integrated Twitch.tv support would solve a lot of this. Then the players (or spectators even) just need to tag themselves as streaming and people can click the twitch link from the streamer in game to open the stream.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:09 am »
Quality of life improvements are waaay far down on muse's to-do list. You can ask politely to stream or even just join a match, sometimes people will let you.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:34:43 am »
the idea of having others in-game watching competitive play is what I dislike.
Reasons:
-NSA type of guys who give away positions. (yes there are people who cheat)
-Lots and Lots of lag.
-Trollers that spam the chat of the streamers.
-Streamers will be in disadvantage because then people be rather in-game then watching the actual stream.
-More work for muse...

What would be a better solution:
Add an tab in-game called "Stream" and make sure that you there have a list of streams that are fully focussed on Guns of Icarus. This has been implemented into the game called Smite. There you can watch the stream while you are actually in-game.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:13 am »
...just have an index of streamers in the tab, if they're online, etc, but require an 'application' on the forums (i.e posting links/a short description of content) to be added to the list.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:08 am »
...just have an index of streamers in the tab, if they're online, etc, but require an 'application' on the forums (i.e posting links/a short description of content) to be added to the list.
Posted the new idea.
I would like to know if people support this idea or have anything to add to it.
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3418.0.html

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
Add an tab in-game called "Stream" and make sure that you there have a list of streams that are fully focussed on Guns of Icarus. This has been implemented into the game called Smite. There you can watch the stream while you are actually in-game.
The problem is that there's... pretty much only one, maybe two of these, which would be the cesports and the goio channel (and even that is only being used once a week). Everyone else who streams Goio almost certainly streams a plethora of other stuff as well.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »
The problem is that there's... pretty much only one, maybe two of these, which would be the cesports and the goio channel (and even that is only being used once a week). Everyone else who streams Goio almost certainly streams a plethora of other stuff as well.
Why not having some players streaming actual gameplay?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:19 pm »
Why not having some players streaming actual gameplay?
There is, sometimes. I'm just saying that as far as I know, there's not one person who streams nothing but Goio gameplay.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »
They can't (or won't) do more spectator slots (I've brought it up with them a lot. xD ). Like ramjam pointed out, there was issues with massive lag just from the sheer number of spectators. It was cranked down to 4, and I don't believe they have an intention of changing that.

I think having a better way of finding the streams for the matches would be better. It's hard to find a competitive match that's not streamed. Usually you'll get cepsorts or therobanddan show with something, but when they're tied up, there's a number of other streamers that tend to sub in. I've done this on occasion (although it's not comparable to an actual caster).

Available casters aside, one problem with streaming is that once you start, you can't advertise your stream anymore. You're in the match and have no way to interact with global. Sometimes other players fill in for them and post the link and say what's going on, but only sometimes. It'd be better if the stream was integrated into the game or they were able to make it more visible that they're streaming a certain match (Such as a little icon next to the match you can click to link you to the twitch, or a stream tab in social, or whatever).

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:57:11 am »
or a stream tab in social, or whatever).
I see what you did there...