Author Topic: Fire/gun mechanics  (Read 10681 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Fire/gun mechanics
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »
The recent discussion on fire stacks:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3271.0.html

Gave me an idea for an alternate mechanic for fire. Instead of a number of flame stacks kicking a user off a gun a smaller number of flame stacks would prevent the gun from shooting, but the user could still reload the gun with different ammo. Specifically heat sink ammo (which would put out the fire). This would strengthen the gunner class since they won't need engineers to put out fires. Also engineers without chem spray would face the possibility of having their gun flame locked from steady stream fire weapons like the flame thrower.

The current mechanics work fine. I am throwing this idea out for discussion because I think it would make the game more interesting.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Fire/gun mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:09:35 am »
Just sounds like a return to requiring heatsink if you are a gunner.

Doesn't heatsink only stop more stacks from accumulating, not also putting out current ones?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:41 am »
Right now it does, I am proposing a change in mechanics that would allow a gunner tool to put out fires. It would make them less dependent on engineers, which may or may not be a good thing.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:22:48 am »
Another suggestion to alter the kick-behavior of fire: Introduce a heat-bar for weapons. If a weapon is set on fire, fill the bar over time (the more stacks the quicker, starting at one fire stack already) and kick the users off the gun once the bar is filled (which indicated that the gun is too hot to be used). That'd ensure that even smaller fires can't be ignored forever and I also think the system would be more intuitive than the current one which doesn't give the player any sort of feedback what's happening until an arbitrary number of fire-stacks is reached.

I also like the idea of heat sink ammo extinguishing fires.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:24 am »
Because live ammunition and proximity to fires makes total sense.

I'm still all for a return to the classic way. Instant gun knocked out with any fire. Gunners must carry heatsink to counter flamers and chem has a much more important usage. It also forced gunners to for once get off a gun and repair something while their gun was out instead of sitting there with their faces glued to it burning with it like they wear an asbestos armor suit.

Game was much better. Even newbies quickly understood the importance of bringing something to put out fires. Now its like...oh theres a fire, yeah I got better stuff to do. Heatsink had a reason for existence and gunners were not the bane of all things good in this world.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:12 am »
I'm still all for a return to the classic way. Instant gun knocked out with any fire. Gunners must carry heatsink to counter flamers and chem has a much more important usage. It also forced gunners to for once get off a gun and repair something while their gun was out instead of sitting there with their faces glued to it burning with it like they wear an asbestos armor suit.

I haven't been around at that time, but that's probably for the better. instant gun knock outs sound like a horrible mechanic. That way a flamer can probably easily keep an entire ship locked down unless the crew adjusted their entire load-out to deal with a single weapon on the enemy team. - no thanks.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:08 pm »
I propose a simpler system- shooting guns or revving engines while they are on fire increases the number of stacks on the component. Seriously, you have a mechanical contraption filled with flammable fuel or explosive gunpowder and you expect it to work with bursting into flame?

It creates a choice on whether to keep shooting or and finish off the enemy while risking getting kicked off (or burn the engines and get an extra bit of speed now), vs thinking long-term and putting the fire out. I think it would be fun. You could also just not use the component, making you less vulnerable to fire if you sit still and focuse on fire control, at the cost of letting the enemy get a better position. This would make fighting squids more interesting.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
So if your engines catch fire you have to return the chadburn to neutral in order to avoid the stack increasing, Omni. ?

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
A very interesting idea Omni, I like it

Offline Omniraptor

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:19:27 am »
yep pretty much, since fire doesn't do much damage at first it's balanced, but if the engineers and pilot are careless the fire grows and grows :D

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:46 am »
Because live ammunition and proximity to fires makes total sense..

What if the gun was destroyed if you used it when it was on fire? Assuming you have ammo loaded in it besides heat sink.

Offline Omniraptor

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 02:31:46 am »
Instakilling guns while on fire seems like a bad idea.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:32 pm »
I propose a simpler system- shooting guns or revving engines while they are on fire increases the number of stacks on the component. Seriously, you have a mechanical contraption filled with flammable fuel or explosive gunpowder and you expect it to work with bursting into flame?

It creates a choice on whether to keep shooting or and finish off the enemy while risking getting kicked off (or burn the engines and get an extra bit of speed now), vs thinking long-term and putting the fire out. I think it would be fun. You could also just not use the component, making you less vulnerable to fire if you sit still and focuse on fire control, at the cost of letting the enemy get a better position. This would make fighting squids more interesting.
This idea has my approval.

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 01:42:42 am »

This idea has my approval.

Aye aye