Author Topic: Supportive Round Types.  (Read 17875 times)

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Supportive Round Types.
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:15:23 pm »
Have you ever wondered why we have rounds that make fires, but none that put fires out?
This is just an idea that I've been mulling over recently, but there are a number of interesting support round options that could be explored. Integrating such rounds into the game would increase the value of the Gunner class, encourage cross-ship co-operation and more!

Hydrated Rounds:
Imagine a round type that, instead of harbouring an explosive shell or doing damage, has a casing of fire deterrent. Fire it at an allied ship, and it extinguishes fires on components upon their ship. This would be an incredibly clever round type to employ in teams and could potentially free up the time of engineers, allowing them to focus on other duties such as buffing. The tactical advantages could be highly valuable.

Smokescreen Rounds:
Envisage a situation where you want to be able to hide from an enemy but you are in plain sight. Perhaps a convenient cloud of harmless smoke might solve your problem. Smokescreen rounds could be a support round type that, whilst firing ordinance at your enemies, also allows you to mask yourself in a protective shroud. That kind of 'stealth' capability might allow you to escape a tough situation unharmed where you might not have otherwise. We all know that we have the capability to make a lot of smoke, might as well use it to our advantage.

Anyway, those are just a couple of examples of some interesting support round types that might come in handy. It would be very interesting to see a gunner equip round types like these in order to assist their ship in moments of peril in a way that isn't just shooting at enemies. Doing all sorts of funny tricks with weapons and the like could be used very sneakily and tactically - something I'd love to see.

Feel free to come up with more ideas for support round types and post them below. Let's see what we all come up with! :D

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Supportive Round Types.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:04:20 pm »
Hydrated Rounds:
Imagine a round type that, instead of harbouring an explosive shell or doing damage, has a casing of fire deterrent.
so a flamethrower with hydrated rounds puts fires out?

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »
I think water hoses could be interesting though not overly practical.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »
Hydrated Rounds:
Imagine a round type that, instead of harbouring an explosive shell or doing damage, has a casing of fire deterrent.
so a flamethrower with hydrated rounds puts fires out?
There are always going to be exceptions like that. Using Lochnagar with a flamethrower is also inadvisable :P
Perhaps it would turn it into an icethrower?
I think water hoses could be interesting though not overly practical.
Being impractical is where imagination comes in. Creativity is always a dangerous variable.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:38:26 pm by Jacob Fii »

Offline Regule

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:46:26 am »
This type of ammunition could have different effects depending on target status.
For example this "water hose" type of ammunition would extinguish fires on
friendly ships and slow player movement on enemy ones.

Penalty should be severe damage drop as it is utility type of ammo.

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:05 am »
This type of ammunition could have different effects depending on target status.
For example this "water hose" type of ammunition would extinguish fires on
friendly ships and slow player movement on enemy ones.

Good idea. I like the dual purpose.

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:26:24 am »
It's a good idea, but maybe a bit bizarre. I like the smokescreen bullets, though.

But I think the gunner already has a lot of round types, and the engie tools has little variance. Maybe we should think about spice up a bit the spinal class of GoIo before overload the gunner choices.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:50:30 am »
I'm pretty sure we already have a tool for the smokescreen thing.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:03:40 am »
I'm pretty sure we already have a tool for the smokescreen thing.
Oh certainly, but you can't hide in a Tar Barrel yourself without suffering severe damage.
Penalty should be severe damage drop as it is utility type of ammo.
That would be the plan yes - supportive round types would not do a great deal of damage (if any at all), they would be there for tactical reasons.

Offline Ernest Wolf

• Salutes: 5
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile page.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »
I think it's a very great idea. The smokescreen rounds would be very practical. I actually had the same idea, only a gun that would do a smokescreen behind a ship.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »
I personally use tar a lot to give myself cover from enemy fire. And yes, sometimes I forget about the wind factor at times. But I fear that giving the gunner the ability to create a smoke screen would be a bad idea. Better option (my opinion) would be to make it a Pilot tool, so you can have control of the smoke and can get it activated when you need it.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:24:39 am »
I suggested a set of water and ice guns in another thread. 'Trident' is a big squirt gun that soaks friend or foe, putting out fires and adding a chemspray-like effect. 'Aquilon' (meaning North Wind) fires canisters of liquid nitrogen, which shred any components that have been chemsprayed.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:59 pm »
I suggested a set of water and ice guns in another thread. 'Trident' is a big squirt gun that soaks friend or foe, putting out fires and adding a chemspray-like effect. 'Aquilon' (meaning North Wind) fires canisters of liquid nitrogen, which shred any components that have been chemsprayed.
That certainly is one way to go about it :D. I was suggesting more that we have round types that can perform the same duties - but new weapons are always gorgeous and I want them now.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:45 am »
i think that the harpoon gun might be usefull as support to drag your disabled teammate out...

Offline Mizhir Starsurge

• Salutes: 21
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:06 am »
Have you ever wondered why we have rounds that make fires, but none that put fires out?
Hydrated Rounds:
Imagine a round type that, instead of harbouring an explosive shell or doing damage, has a casing of fire deterrent. Fire it at an allied ship, and it extinguishes fires on components upon their ship. This would be an incredibly clever round type to employ in teams and could potentially free up the time of engineers, allowing them to focus on other duties such as buffing. The tactical advantages could be highly valuable.

I think I need to talk with James about getting your cake membership revoked.