Author Topic: Voice promixity  (Read 11181 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Voice promixity
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:12 am »
Instead of talking and everyone hearing you at the same volume level, if you are far away from someone you'll hear them much quieter.

Imagine being the captain and hearing your crew call out enemy positions from where they're standing (the port/starboard sides), or a crew member repairing the engines and calling out that he needs help. It'd definitely help the sense of realism.

Even cooler: radios or talking funnels/tubes on big ships. The Galleon could have one or two next to him and when the gunner below deck talks, it would come out from the funnel next to him.

---

Voice proximity isn't a big thing in gaming, which disappoints me, but it does exist in some games. Most notably Resistance and Liberation, a realistic WWII FPS, Planetside 2 (a huge MMO FPS) and some others.

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Voice promixity
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:18:16 am »
Instead of talking and everyone hearing you at the same volume level, if you are far away from someone you'll hear them much quieter.
Wouldn't Muse have to make everyones voices the same volume at the baseline. It is already difficult enough to hear some people who play as their mic is quiet anyway..

Not being able to hear my crew because we're taking hwacha is plenty enough realism for me :)

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:56 am »
I think it would make captain chat drowned out by crew chat almost all of the time.  People would just abandon chat and use steam chat, teamspeak or skype instead.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:53:38 am »
I think it would make captain chat drowned out by crew chat almost all of the time.  People would just abandon chat and use steam chat, teamspeak or skype instead.

How?

The volume level would not increase over the current level. It would simply lower depending on the proximity of you to the person talking.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:09:11 am »

How?

The volume level would not increase over the current level. It would simply lower depending on the proximity of you to the person talking.

I totally agree with Xyem because of the reasons he named. This game needs the chat - making it unable to play if the two captains are on different positions of the map because one just spawned.

Wouldn't Muse have to make everyones voices the same volume at the baseline. It is already difficult enough to hear some people who play as their mic is quiet anyway..

Not being able to hear my crew because we're taking hwacha is plenty enough realism for me :)

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:48 am »
People would just abandon chat and use steam chat, teamspeak or skype instead.
This is the key thing, really.

If you make in-game audio worse for gameplay, people will naturally move to external voice services due to being superior. Those that play with in-game voice would then be at a further disadvantage. "Further" because a team that uses an external service is likely to have more play together anyway.

There is already a little bit of this which happens to me personally. I turn the music off completely so I can hear SFX and voice as clear as possible. However, Muse decided to put the "enemy near" drum beat as part of the music track. This puts me at a disadvantage (particular in Canyon Ambush) as my opponent knows when I am near, but I have no idea if they are (unless my crew mention it).

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 08:24:16 am »
There is already a little bit of this which happens to me personally. I turn the music off completely so I can hear SFX and voice as clear as possible. However, Muse decided to put the "enemy near" drum beat as part of the music track. This puts me at a disadvantage (particular in Canyon Ambush) as my opponent knows when I am near, but I have no idea if they are (unless my crew mention it).

Huh. I've done the same, but I think playing without drums is not as bad as playing with worse communication.

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:29:41 am »
Huh. I've done the same, but I think playing without drums is not as bad as playing with worse communication.
Oh yeah, it's not as bad for sure. Hence "a little bit of this" :)

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:16 pm »

Funny - I was going to mute the music yesterday because I wanted to hear everything better, but I realised I needed it to know when the enemy is near.

Back on track: you guys make valid points. I'm still keen for it though. :P

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:52 am »

Funny - I was going to mute the music yesterday because I wanted to hear everything better, but I realised I needed it to know when the enemy is near.

Trust me, drums can be big. If you watch the community chat from this Sundays rumble, I mention how it allowed me to kinda pinpoint an enemy and get easy kills.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:30 am »
Trust me, drums can be big. If you watch the community chat from this Sundays rumble, I mention how it allowed me to kinda pinpoint an enemy and get easy kills.

I'm considering muting the music anyway. I hate music in games. I prefer the "realism" as much as I can, and I don't think music would be playing when you're about to engage in airship-to-airship combat. :)

Offline Zyem

• Community Ambassador
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:07:14 am »
Like quite a few things (e.g. the ship scramble), as long as it is optional, it's fine.