Author Topic: Art meta is boring  (Read 91218 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Art meta is boring
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
It's true that there are some maps and situations where countering is just not going to happen. Dunes, fjords, and some of the 3v3 and 4v4 maps are a lot more open. I know there's a few alternate approaches on dunes and fjords, especially if you use the cloud cover. But all that fancy flying can't get you close enough to them before they spot you, especially if they predict you're going to try it.

Then it's just them backpedaling, taking out your engines, and slowly working your ship down.

You can't outrun the gun, it has the second fastest projectile speed of all the light guns (third overall if you include the heavy carronade). No recoil, -massive- turning arcs, and a long range make it difficult for even an absolutely new person to miss. What Muse and most of us have noticed is that it lacks the risk vs reward that Muse tries to shoot for.

But the balance is a constant up and down. We can certainly hope that the tweaks that are made put it into that perfect balance, but what sounds and looks good on paper could be totally different in practice. Then it's back to the drawing board to try again. It's just how these things work.

**Edit: Also the squid is an amazing ship. >=P Good day sir!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:48:23 pm by Thomas »

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:08 pm »
^^ Eric at the helm, probably true. Oh well, one day he says balance is great, don't wanna touch anything, next time it's a heavy nerf. Nothing in between with that guy. That's alright, Gents can at least go back to using lumberjacks and heavy flaks again...until those get nerfed.

BTW gilder, Zuka has been running a squid (it's tied as best ship with junker imo) against my arti build and it's really tough to beat. I'm a huge advocate of the squid but he barely has flown it before and he was still handing me my ass.

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 05:48:30 pm »
That's the only complaint about the patches in this game I could have, Gilder. Instead of moderation in the tweaks in the game, they frequently radicalize a patch. A little OP? Better make it unusable. Not used frequently? Better make it SUPER OP! I really hope this isn't the case if the Artemis gets tweaked.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »
Well if/when the changes occur, they'll be up for testing and criticism in the Dev App, which is a better place for making suggested changes (especially while it's due for a change). One thing to remember is to try and remain (or at least appear) unbiased and neutral. Heavily biased opinions usually aren't constructive and easily ignored. Try not to get become too invested in the change you want to see happen, and allow for some other options. If all you do is push for the gun to be exactly as you envision it, it's not going to be seen as constructive.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 03:38:19 am »
^^ Eric at the helm, probably true. Oh well, one day he says balance is great, don't wanna touch anything, next time it's a heavy nerf. Nothing in between with that guy. That's alright, Gents can at least go back to using lumberjacks and heavy flaks again...until those get nerfed.

BTW gilder, Zuka has been running a squid (it's tied as best ship with junker imo) against my arti build and it's really tough to beat. I'm a huge advocate of the squid but he barely has flown it before and he was still handing me my ass.

What build? Carronade/Art?

I hate those disably builds. I feel dirty when I fly a disabler squid after mastering attack squid. Its boring, its uninspired, and it isn't real squid flying. All you do is maneuver into place and grind on an enemy. Theres no finesse or skill involved. I won't stop fighting for a return of the old squid. If I lived in NY I'd seriously consider standing outside Muse with a picketing sign. At least for one day. Love to be someone with 10k that could just drop by and say "heres 10k, now fix that ship."

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 05:01:39 am »
In the Gents we take carro/flamer, do a charge with the carro going, ram their balloon at full speed, and then sit on them with flamer for a teabag kill :D

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:08 am »
In the Gents we take carro/flamer, do a charge with the carro going, ram their balloon at full speed, and then sit on them with flamer for a teabag kill :D

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:22:08 am »
Love of God Gilder. The squid is in a good place right now for everyone except you. 

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 04:05:25 am »
Love of God Gilder. The squid is in a good place right now for everyone except you. 

Everyone being those who joined post 1.1 then yeah...and they can all eat a mine for all I care. I'll stop mining and forcing teams to rage quit when Muse finally gives me my baby back.

Offline Thomas

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 04:46:50 am »
Try to keep this on topic, you can start a new thread about the state of the squid if you need to.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 05:13:24 am »
Try to keep this on topic, you can start a new thread about the state of the squid if you need to.
i think combining a squid with artemisses could be considerd highly lethal.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 10:38:28 am »
i think combining a squid with artemisses could be considerd highly lethal.

I remember we did a double Artemis Squid with Cullen once with me and Chrinus on the guns. Then again if you wanna do spam disablers, you might as well go with the Junker and get 3 of them.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Clouds
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 08:17:56 pm »

Pyra + Mortar + Gatling + Clouds = OPer

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 10:15:06 pm »
The best way to counter a sniper on an open map like Fjord if there isn't enough constant cloud over is to wait for them to come closer while you hide behind a large protruding ice formation or a wrecked ship.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 10:16:02 pm »
Force the sniper to come to you.. or at least get them inside a cloud and then charge the cloud.