Author Topic: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4  (Read 112563 times)

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »
Generally speaking, both ships (in a 2v2) do not go down at the same time. In most cases the enemy ships have been spotted, and as long as your ally is still spotting them, they actually appear on your map when you choose to spawn. Not to mention that they usually don't move too far after they kill you, especially if you're ally is nearby (which they should be, unless they just died.)

Some people say that it ruins a sniping build and promotes a brawl build, but that's not really true. If you have a long range build, just choose to spawn far away from your enemy. They can certainly spawn on your face and kill you, but then you just spawn far away and take them out again. It doesn't necessarily promote one or the other, but it does make it difficult for ships to survive any decent length of time.

Really the more I play with it, the more I dislike being able to choose my spawn. I've become accustomed to spawning further away and using that time to communicate with my crew what went right and wrong with the last death we had, letting them know the plan as we approach for engagement. However, it's far too beneficial to spawn right on them as soon as possible. It's a lot of back and forth constant fighting and not as much being able to maneuver and use the terrain to your advantage, which is something I miss.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »
Once initial spawn goes in, which could be a hotfix in the weeks, then only being able to spawn towards your side of the map or base will be available.

Again, the square maps suffer the most since the options were to have it the way it is now or randomly spawn you on your side of the map from a wide variety of spawn points that may spawn you much further away from your team that you want.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:33 pm »
I still have to ask what is gained from spawn choosing other than a far less tactical tit for tat brawl?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 04:05:21 pm »
Spawns could decided a whole match.
Either a lucky or a unlucky spawn after an engagement could decide the game for you or the opponent.
Such a luck factor doestn suit competetive gaming.
At least imo.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »
The former system was entirely random.  You had no choice and therefore no tactical input.  The only thing you did was submit to the spawn that was given to you (no matter how crappy) and react tactically.

By choosing, we hope, you can at least respond to the scenario that got you killed and try to fix it.  Do you want to spawn in the heat of combat to save your teammate?  Or do you need to spawn further away because you're a sniper?  Is my base being camped, do I need to spawn further away?

We never had any of those choices available.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 04:15:31 pm »
By choosing, we hope, you can at least respond to the scenario that got you killed and try to fix it.  Do you want to spawn in the heat of combat to save your teammate?  Or do you need to spawn further away because you're a sniper?

Problem is spawning farther away will just likely get your teammate killed, and then you again, so you pick the closer one. In competition I could see this being more of a decision (maybe), but in pubs, nah.

Choice is cool, and an improvement, but shouldn't be so close that killing someone becomes a disadvantage, as silly as that sounds.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »
There is functionally no tactical reason to not choose a brawler and immediately charge the guy you damaged int he fight. While it might be tactical to choose your spawn, everything being this immediate brawl means no real coordination with your teammate as you are constantly in the fight. So many strategies are now out the window because taking a minute to meet up with your team mate is somehow not tactical.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:31:47 pm »
By dividing the spawns into 'bases', insta-brawling will be taken care of.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
While that is marginally better (though just reinforces camping for some maps like canyon), why implement this amazingly half baked spawn system?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:56 pm »
I think the old issue (and I use that term loosely) was that the old random spawns put a lot of 'luck' into matches. After dying, you didn't get to choose where you spawned, and you'd have to make do. Sometimes you ended up in a beneficial location and sometimes you didn't. This could change the course of the whole match, especially if teams are relatively equally skilled. You might have started out with the upper hand, but went down and had a terrible spawn. You get back into the fight and manage to tie it up again, but the enemy gets a lucky spawn and wipes you shortly after.

The new system seems to be an attempt at taking more of the luck out, and putting more tactics into it. Now you don't have to rely on luck, as you get to pick where you show up. However, this has lead to an overwhelming amount of 'lucky' spawns, since they can always appear in advantageous position (right behind you). Since most ships are brawly builds, a lot of the complaints are of ships appearing right on top of them. The proposed solution is to force 'bases' or spawn zones for teams, leading to less spawning on top of each other. And while this may prevent that, I'm not sure if it will prevent sniping builds from popping up in prime locations. Since they don't want to be close to the enemy in the first place. They'd just have to pick a spot where they have a line of sight and some room to run.

Overall I'm more ok with dealing with the random spawns than trying to balance how ships should be able to choose their spawns. The current system is 'fair', but not too enjoyable; where the next iteration might tip the balance towards sniping builds.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
Before there was a chance your team would get an unlucky spawn. Now it is guaranteed the enemy will get a lucky spawn

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 05:33:54 pm »
After playing around with these spawn points I have decided this is atrocious. Games start without any engagement as usual, but once the first attack happens and the first death, it is a constant fight until we hit 5 points. Matches don't last more than a couple minutes in DM and it's a big cluster the entire time.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 05:35:54 pm »
What about in Canyons and Fjords?

What if all DM maps moved towards that model?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »
What about making it optional on match creation, like the crew shuffle? Then you could have several options. Random spawns (like previous), Base spawns (random or chose your own), or full map free choice spawns (like now).

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »
I think a simple for or against spawn choosing poll may be in order.