Author Topic: Where, What, and How? An Engineer's Guide  (Read 44951 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Where, What, and How? An Engineer's Guide
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »
You can't really cover every deployment option on a junker without writing a novel. I would just stick with one or two deployment options, to give people an idea of how to treat the ship. People can improvise once they have the basics.

As for crewing a squid I find it an exercise in controlled chaos. There is no real plan and a lot of screaming. I normally ask for 3 engineers each taking different specialty ammo for each gun. Every one preloads their ammo before contact then runs hitting stuff and screaming. Did I mention the screaming? Screaming is very important on the squid, it makes the engines go faster.

I was going to start writing about the Junker, then I though "where the hell do I start?". There are a bunch of different options, all of which are dependant on the gun loadout, among other things. And the Squid... Ugh... I love engineering on the Squid, but I've tried so many different viable engineer loadouts. It would be impossible to cover everything without going over the word limit. I might even make a separate guide for the Squid alone.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »
You can't really cover every deployment option on a junker without writing a novel. I would just stick with one or two deployment options, to give people an idea of how to treat the ship. People can improvise once they have the basics.

As for crewing a squid I find it an exercise in controlled chaos. There is no real plan and a lot of screaming. I normally ask for 3 engineers each taking different specialty ammo for each gun. Every one preloads their ammo before contact then runs hitting stuff and screaming. Did I mention the screaming? Screaming is very important on the squid, it makes the engines go faster.

I was going to start writing about the Junker, then I though "where the hell do I start?". There are a bunch of different options, all of which are dependant on the gun loadout, among other things. And the Squid... Ugh... I love engineering on the Squid, but I've tried so many different viable engineer loadouts. It would be impossible to cover everything without going over the word limit. I might even make a separate guide for the Squid alone.

Junker Fight Club.. there's a thread for the Junker ;)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:03 pm »

I should really read through that again. Not sure if it really goes through what I'm looking at, though. All the possibilities...

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »

I should really read through that again. Not sure if it really goes through what I'm looking at, though. All the possibilities...

But it's a thread to soak up the clutter of all the possibilities without breaking this one!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »

But it's a thread to soak up the clutter of all the possibilities without breaking this one!

That's true. I could post the most common strategies here, and put some more in that thread.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 10:49:58 am »
Got the Junker done. I've covered the most important strategies, so it should work out. Remember to provide feedback!

Still not sure how to start writing the Squid one...

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:59 am »
I'd just add a bit about engineers using the front gun on the Junker - it's vitally important as an engineer on the forward mount to always be thinking, "Should I get off?"  Most pilots will be wanting to bring one or other bradside into play, the front mount will only get transitory targets and/or pursuit targets - optimistic pilots only - you aren't going to run anything down with a Junker!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
I'd just add a bit about engineers using the front gun on the Junker - it's vitally important as an engineer on the forward mount to always be thinking, "Should I get off?"  Most pilots will be wanting to bring one or other bradside into play, the front mount will only get transitory targets and/or pursuit targets - optimistic pilots only - you aren't going to run anything down with a Junker!

Of course that also depends on what gun is on the front. You can have a merc there so that you can hit enemies while approaching, and then swing over to the side. But then you could also have a flamer, in which case it becomes merely for pursuit or transition, as you said. I probably should add a bit more context-specific information. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:53:08 am by N-Sunderland »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:18 am »
I just realized that I never got the Squid guide up... Well, I'll work on that soon enough. I also plan to expand it with details for each ship on how to deal with sandstorms.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 02:57:59 pm »
Oh yeah, and if anybody has any suggestions about what aspects of engineering I should write guides for in the future, I'd be happy to hear them.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 04:42:46 am »
Spelling (hyperlink) mistake for this guide in the "Novice Deck" link.
the W in where isn't hyperlinked :P