Author Topic: 1.3.3 PILOT, PILOT SKILLS, AND SHIP BALANCE  (Read 28804 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
1.3.3 PILOT, PILOT SKILLS, AND SHIP BALANCE
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
Changes here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14-1AnOLfaEKuPvbthlY1WfNvL8_0nijTRHZDCq8XAuA/pub

No changes to pilot or pilot skills so I'm looping it into Ship balance as well since major changes happened to the Spire.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.3 PILOT, PILOT SKILLS, AND SHIP BALANCE
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:04:04 pm »
Is it me or did you guys just render the mobula obsolete?

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:21:33 pm »
Changes to the Mobula are coming, they will require much more time.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:22:27 pm »
Is it me or did you guys just render the mobula obsolete?
Where did you get this idea from o.O

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:25:14 pm »
Im actually curious to try mine out in the new patch as a lot of its easy counters got scaled back.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 04:51:19 pm »

Probably because the Mobula's real strength was the ability to easily get 3-4 light guns on a single target. With the changes, the Spire can easily get 2-3 light guns and a medium gun on a single target, making it have strictly more firepower than the Mobula, while also being easier to Engineer on (especially now that the hull is in an easier spot to get 2 people on without sacrificing your ability to quickly switch back to shooting).

It sort of leaves the Mobula high and dry, as it's role of "concentrated firepower on a single target" is now better done by the Spire in virtually all cases.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:36 pm »

Probably because the Mobula's real strength was the ability to easily get 3-4 light guns on a single target. With the changes, the Spire can easily get 2-3 light guns and a medium gun on a single target, making it have strictly more firepower than the Mobula, while also being easier to Engineer on (especially now that the hull is in an easier spot to get 2 people on without sacrificing your ability to quickly switch back to shooting).

It sort of leaves the Mobula high and dry, as it's role of "concentrated firepower on a single target" is now better done by the Spire in virtually all cases.

Exactly this. However, i am glad to hear that the Mobula is being worked on and I look forward to seeing if it's worth the wait :)

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:36 am »
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the mobula as viable. True, they are very similar in roles with the exception that the Spire has a heavy weapon option. However what the mobula lacks in firepower it makes up for in versatility in guns. I normally have a merc, two artemis, and two caronades, all in a mirror config. This allows me to have 3 guns firing at long range, and 2 guns just in case a brawler ship closes the distance and gets too close. A spire with 4 long range guns might not have that close range defense. However, with the nerf to the brawler builds, I guess you could be right since no one's going to be getting within 450 meters of a good sniping platform any time soon!

Either way, hearing that changes to a mobula are inbound makes me very happy

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:25:49 am »
As a pretty formidable mobula pilot I'm keen to see how the patch will affect the viability of it. Don't forget the dual trifectas have pretty big implications when it comes to deciding the range of engagements (as NoWuffo points out above), not to mention the balloon position, vertical size/height and manueverability of the mobula compared to the spire. I'm sure I'll find out the hard way tonight! Looking forward to flying the spire again too. I've always had a soft spot for it.

While there might not be any direct piloting changes, there's going to have to be some changes out there in the skies now the engagement distances have altered so dramatically. Brawlers are going to have to be a lot more creative. I'll be glad to see fewer gat/mortar pyras and blenderfish/pyras flying directly at me if nothing else as well! I kind of love the disarray after a patch.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:27:29 am by geggis »

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:27:03 am »
To be honest, I'm kind of torn on the Spire changes.
On one hand, I like that ship and seeing it buffed is a good thing.
On the other, I HATE the trend of "foward-pointing guns are the way to go". I hated the Mobula because its whole deal was "look how many foward facing guns I have", which felt like a cheap way of making a ship powerful.
Point and fire, in my opinion, is NOT a fun way to play this game, expecially not on slow ships. Can't we have a bit more creative weapon placement so to encourage a radically different play style from ship to ship?

Anyway, here's hoping that the now-obsolete Mobula is redesigned with a different phylosophy in mind.

Offline geggis

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:32 am »
That's exactly what's fun about the mobula for me! And like the spire, there's plenty of risk involved with that much firepower frontloaded on a more fragile ship that's harder to repair and maneuver. If you're wanting glass cannons and light weapons platforms, the spire and mobula are the ships for you. If you're wanting something else, you've got the junker, pyra, squid, galleon and goldfish. It's nice to have the choice.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:37:50 am by geggis »

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:46 am »
The problem is that the Mobula and Spire are now virtually identical in concept, with the difference that the Spire has superior firepower and it's easier to repair in battle.

Offline geggis

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 07:06:49 am »
The spire has superior firepower at a specific range. I'm not saying the mobula is fine as is now, what I am saying is that there are other differences and reasons for choosing one over the other (some mentioned above). Whether those differences are substantial enough right now I don't know. I'll see later when I have a play with the new patch.

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:21 am »
Not much else to say really. Want to try the spire, the mobula didn't really have a place before (never saw it used) and now certainly wont until changes are made.

Offline geggis

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:47:25 am »
It's the ship I fly (flew?) the most Krieg so it definitely had a place before! ;-)