Author Topic: Freezing damage  (Read 15936 times)

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Freezing damage
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:56:36 am »
Was thinking in my chair,  when  I thought of this insane idea.

I was thinking,  as an alternative to fire,  components might get cold enough to the point of the steam inside turning to water and eventually freezing,  a frozen water pipe is bad,  bad news,  however,  since in real life coldness cannot build up,  so freezing damage would wear off over time,  but buildup stacks quicker than fire and maybe have a higher limit to stacks.  What applies this damage and how you get rid of it I'm still working on,  but maybe a gun that shoots a stream of liquid Nitrogen,  and to put it away immediately maybe a blowtorch.

Just a thought.  Completely useless? OP? Perfect? What do you think.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing damage
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:50:10 am »
Hmmm... I think it's interesting, but it doesn't add much to gameplay; since it seems to be an alternate for fire. I could see something similar, like a coolant or large scale extinguisher being used a support weapon, extinguishing your allies and giving them some fire protection. But for straight up freezing, maybe it just reduces components effectiveness without doing actual damage? Making guns turn and fire slower, engines have a reduced output, your balloon doesn't rise or fall as effectively, maybe the hull takes a small boost to damage taken (or even builds up a small amount of extra armor as a balance?).

But just doing damage and stacking like fire feels redundant. I mean you could certainly put some strategy into it, maybe having one flamer and one freezing weapon on your team, forcing the enemy team to try and carry both repair items to get rid of the stacks, reducing their effectiveness at putting out either. (ie: Right now they just have to deal with fire, if both engi's didn't bring a fire extinguisher, it'd take longer and be harder to put out all the fires.) I'd want to pretend that those two stacks would counteract each other, so you can't have a frozen and burning component, making your have to plan which weapons you want to use more carefully.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 04:27:19 am »
What steam? There are no steamengines in Guns of Icarus.

It could just make all parts move slower or not at all anymore or instantly destroy components once maximum stacks are reached. I heard frozen diesel is worse than frozen water.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:38:40 am »
Also find this idea interesting. But would liquid nitrogen be a typical thing for the era? To stay true to it it would have to be something else but what? Since liquid nitrogen is fairly modern.
A chemspray of sorts? Then it would need large pressurised tanks to the gun.
Gun would be like a firefighting platform but used as a weapon with short range.
Kinda like what they have on ships at sea.
Effect would be slowly degrading health like moonshine to engines or fire.
What would counter it? I believe if a unit gets freezed and is on fire it would nullify the fire and slowly break the component. If freezed and attacked with fire it should stop or reverse the damage slightly then take a short time before it sets the unit on fire. I don't believe they should be able to get used simultaneously. That could affect balance.
Woudl it be a light or medium weapon?
The visual effect on component something like the heatsink but more white?

The arc would have to act like a fluid. as long as pressure fairly low arc but then falls down quickly at end with maybe a light spray so the closer the better?
The weapon itself to withstand the pressurised cold would have to be more like the heavy flak or echidna than the flamethrower. Short spray of water with slight damage on weapon itself while firing due to the cold, then it would regenerate it back while reloading?
Hot items like engines, guns and balloon would have more slow damage but hull would break faster. It could be a hullbreaker for sure.

What would it be named? Permafrost?  ???

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:49:07 am »
What would it be named? Permafrost?  ???

Frostbite. :P

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:27:44 am »
I like the idea of a freeze ray. Like a flame thrower but with shatter damage.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
Was thinking in my chair,  when  I thought of this insane idea.

I was thinking,  as an alternative to fire,  components might get cold enough to the point of the steam inside turning to water and eventually freezing,  a frozen water pipe is bad,  bad news,  however,  since in real life coldness cannot build up,  so freezing damage would wear off over time,  but buildup stacks quicker than fire and maybe have a higher limit to stacks.  What applies this damage and how you get rid of it I'm still working on,  but maybe a gun that shoots a stream of liquid Nitrogen,  and to put it away immediately maybe a blowtorch.

Just a thought.  Completely useless? OP? Perfect? What do you think.

I'd hesitate to introduce new damage types that require a tool to deal with, as otherwise we actually both nerf Engineers (as they can deal with fewer possible situations) and buff either Frost, Fire, or normal damage (as someone somewhere is sacrificing something to be able to deal with the new condition).

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:45 pm »
I was actually pondering something like this yesterday, only my thought was more along the lines of putting fires out on a target ship with a short burst, while a longer, sustained attack would start doing progressive component damage.

Severe cold actually does more damage to hot metal than cool, so I would make it damage mostly guns and engines. Extra damage could be done by alternating rapidly between flame and cold. I would not add any extra effects. As Djinn stated, that would add a lot of balance issues with new tools.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:42:14 pm »
Going a bit off-topic here but what about countering fires as an ally helping tool instead of weapon? having ships stay close, do teamwork and put out eachothers fires??
There's the flaregun and harpoon but no shipsize extinguisher.. This could be something similar and we know there's water on goi.  :-\ hmm..

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:22 pm »
I think the whole problem with a freeze damage gun is that it just seems a bit too far outside of the "realistic fiction" of the game. Awkm posted about this kinda thing, where he didn't want the game to be realistic, of course, but he wanted it to seem believable. A freeze ray if you will would seem a bit out of place in my mind...
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,572.0.html

Now, a chem spray gun like Geno suggested... that's not too far fiction, I kinda like that idea!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:13:19 pm »
If it was a heavy gun (which it likely should be), I would name it the 'Aquilon', Latin name for the Greek god Boreas, bringer of Winter and the North Wind.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09XB9nMDRl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIdBynzl8Q

Here's some videos of kids playing with 'gas duster' (sometimes called 'canned air'). You can pick this stuff up in the store, spray it at stuff, and rapidly drop the temperature of it. I don't believe the OP ever mentioned a freeze ray, but they did bring up liquid nitrogen which is totally plausible. What the effects of that could be on an airship are left up to the imagination.

For some realism to draw on, picture the altitude at which the ships fly, and seeing them made from wood and cloth. There's a lot of water up there in the atmosphere (look at planes and such; not the mention all the coulds). Freezing water causes it to expand, which can rapidly damage both the wood, cloth, and even metal bits (metal contracts in cold) if there's moisture between the cracks, crevices, and such. This can then also affect the machinery in a negative way.

Here's what I could find about liquid nitrogen being sprayed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTa0lHTV2A4

(Not super impressive, but still interesting)

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 06:59:44 pm »
The ally ship utility will not happen since it could be only guns on ship. and no restrictions on builds. which is understandable.

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 07:42:28 pm »
Could we name it "The Cake Disruptor"?

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile