Author Topic: ship popularity  (Read 21604 times)

Offline Devinstater

• Salutes: 2
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: ship popularity
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »
I think it is because they are easy. When I've gotten into some lobbies with level 6+ captains you see a lot of Galleon's, Mobula's, Spires, Squids, just a good variety. But at the lower levels it's all Goldfish, Pyra and Junker because they are easier. I can't fly anything but the Goldfish and Pyramidion well.

Pyramidion is also lots of fun for the players, you only need one full time engineer, the other is a balloon engineer, which means he mostly gets to shoot guns the whole time. And shooting guns is awesome. Basically if two people in your crew want to play gunner, having one be the "gungineer" on a Pyramidion is the only way to keep the crew happy.

My friend who was going to be our captain started us all off on the Galleon. Haha, it is pretty easy to be terrible with that ship. You need good positioning to have your guns lined up, and then people need to not miss their broadsides because they will only be lined up for that one small window of opportunity. Definitely not the easiest. You would think everyone gets to fire guns 24/7, but the second engineer has a monumental task just in getting a single fricken gun repaired enough to fire.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:40 am »
easy ships to fly:
Pyramideon.
Goldfish.
Galleon.
Mobula.

ships with a harder difficulty:
Spire.
Squid.

Offline Regule

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 03:40:48 am »
There is also a matter of ship coordination and versatility.
Goldfish, Pyramidon and Junker generally good all around with
means that you can play well even if coordination between captains
is very limited. However fragile ships like Spire or Squid  require not only
more experienced crew but also a good coordination between ships.

Even before match starts both captains must agree what their plan
is and how exactly they will execute it.

As for Galleon you pack a lot of punch but are limited in pursuit options.
So if you allay wont react correctly and pursue wounded enemy you will
be heckled by ships that in theory are much weaker.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 04:52:32 am »
Certain ships are also easier to crew than others. A Spire or Mobula is a bit harder than a Junker because the layout is slightly different and more separated and can confuse some (I spent a few precious minutes trying to figure out how to get on to the top gun above the pilot on a mobula)

Of course all the ships need some familiarisation and coordination for crewing just some have a wider learning curve

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 07:11:13 am »
just pick the ship that suits you best and fly alot.
try out diferent builds on it.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 06:22:56 am »
Spire.
Squid.

But those are my favourites!! :P

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 07:05:16 am »
Of course this is just my opinion but i would set up the ships as such

Pyra-Most popular kill ship, very rare support Straight up play, good for any starter pilot and devastating in experienced hands, easy to crew easy to fly, 

Goldfish-Mainly support ship with hawatch/carronade front for disable, very easy to fly, once you get more experienced with the ship can turn into a kill ship with side gun play,

Junker- In theory with the right build this is the perfect ship, with a good balance of long range and brawler, i would say this is the intermediate ship because you need good knowledge of weapons and angles to really maximize the damage this ship can do, also the ability to use the trifector long range and ability to switch to brawler side on the fly,

Galleon, The big hitter of the group, this is a hard ship to fly you need patience as it is not a fast ship the angels are smaller and you need knowledge of heavy weapons and practice to perfect a build that works on most maps and a good crew to fire the lower heavy guns especially if you go flak lumber jack long range, if you have the patience to learn this ship though you could be invaluable to any team comp,

Mobula- This ship is still establishing itself in the competitive side of the game at the moment it is the counter to popular junker builds just because you can get 4 weapons firing instead of 3, so this is a very good ship and popular with sniping captains on the more open maps like fjords and dunes, i don't think the flying of the ship is a problem more than the awareness needed from captain and crew as all the weapons are forward firing you need good positioning otherwise it will be a rough time also the captain needs good tool knowledge because hydrogen chute vent are essential especially against forward charging ships,

Spire- In some peoples opinions the most powerful ship in the game atm, you have 4 firing weapons similar to the mobula except one of them is a heavy weapon meaning it can take down anything and everything, it does have a major flaw and that is armor it can give out a lot of punishment but can not take much, meaning most people like to go mid-long range builds, it is very easy to fly but again the awareness of enemy ships and map position is the key factors to success here great for any pilot to try their hand at if the have the patience similar to the galleon when mastered this ship is devastating 

Squid- Save the best till last, the majestic squid this ship is everyone's worst nightmare in the hands of a experienced captain once in close this ship will have you cursing the day it was developed, the hardest ship in the game to fly because all of the following have to be taken into account-Map Postioning-Every Ships blind spots- Map Layout and cover-tool use and when-good crew- Knowing when to run- Avoiding Fire- Knowing who to target first-Communication- BUT.... all that being said their is no better feeling than circling a ship knowing the balloon is down everything is on fire the engineers are drinking moonshine the captain is crying in the corner shouting WHY DID NO ONE SPOT IT!! and the hearty evil laugh from you're crew I would avoid this ship until you are ready for one of the hardest challanges to win with a squid on any map against anyone i know maybe 2 pilots who could possibly pull it off, 

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 07:45:39 am »
This is a fantastic baseline guide - and is a near mirror of what I was telling my friend last night (I gave him the game for Xmas). If anyone wants to know about ship types, Grey's post is the perfect summation.

It also explains why I love the Squid and Spire so much - I adore doing exactly what you described whilst at the helm of one. Good times; good times.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 12:22:45 am »
I love the squid, don't get me wrong, but on any map except paritan rumble the squid is going to be.. well not quite useless, but close. Any half-decent aretmis or mercury gunner will kill your (rather exposed) engines before you can get close enough to fight back, and will then proceed to pummel you at range. The squid might stand a chance against a traditional gat/mortar pyramidion in the open, and it can disable/balloon lock any ship it catches off guard. However, it will get shredded by any sort of long-range disable, and atm the game has a lot of long range disablers.

Disregard all that for the paritan rumble map, squids rule on there.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:06 am »
If he's seeing junkers he's already out of beginner matches. They're now limited to just pyra and goldfish.
Junkers ARE in beginner matches.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 02:45:08 am »
If he's seeing junkers he's already out of beginner matches. They're now limited to just pyra and goldfish.
the junker is such a good all-round ship.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 03:01:54 am »
the junker is such a good all-round ship.

Originally it was only Goldfish and Pyramidion when those novice restrictions came out.  Junker novice builds came in a later release, maybe DMaximus' post is before the Junker build release.

Offline Dolphirus

• Salutes: 5
    • [DWG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 08:42:03 am »
I cannot help but think a lot of people got burned out on the pyramidion. For a while there it was literally the only ship I saw anyone flying. It is still the most popular ship by far, though the pool has bee gradually diluted.

AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING!

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 11:08:10 am »
Spire.
Squid.

But those are my favourites!! :P

Squid master race. By far the best ship if you are with a good coordinated crew.

Pyra is best if uncoordinated.