Author Topic: The Spire.  (Read 57516 times)

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Re: The Spire.
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:26 am »
So the math suggestion got buried and I'm just now getting around to crunching for everyone's reference. Please feel free to make corrections as needed.

Spire hull armor- 500/10dmg=50 shots of gatling. 50/5shots per second=10seconds to take down armor.

hull health- 750/90dmg=9 shots of mortar. 9/1.82shots per second=5sec to finish off the hull. (not sure about the primary and secondary damage and how to count it).

Point is under ideal conditions the spire needs to kill a ship in under 15 seconds.

The two most common and most difficult ships for a Spire to kill would be Pyra (everyone flies it) and Goldfish which has the most total hull of a commonly flown ship (1500).

It takes a Spire 8 seconds to take out a goldfishes armor. (400/10=40/5=8sec) and then another 7-8 to bring the hull down. (1100/90=13/1.82=7.14sec)

For pyra it gets messy. It take 65 shots to take down the hull armor. That's a minimum of the full 12sec of the magazine, a 4-5sec reload, and then one more sec of firing for a grand total of 17secs. Add in the 4.4secs to bring the hull down and you get a whopping 21.4 seconds to kill a pyra vs the 15 to kill a spire. The spire has been dead for 2seconds before it can even get the hull down on a pyra.

All these numbers assume no gunner misses a shot, and no engineer repairs but its better for crunching.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:26 am »
I purposefully kept this separate so that I didn't write a whole essay but the focus of the spire's cannon needs to be on piercing. The lousy arcs and limited amount of loadout choices dictate the way a spire can behave.

If we change anything it needs to be focused on bringing the engagement time to a shorter end. Down to killing in 15 seconds or less. Double gatling gun, or change the arc of the gun mounts so that a hades can double up, that's all up for debate but at least we have a benchmark.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2013, 01:19:23 am »
Just a quick correction, your math left out damage modifiers.  Actual "ideal" engagement lengths where all shots hit and are timed perfectly are actually  shorter.

Still, the health disadvantage of the spire is nonetheless the same and easily verifiable anecdotally even without precise math.  The solution is to give it enough dps to compensate.

Gotta have more cannon

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2013, 06:29:29 am »
Thats if you are using the spire as a close range ship, Changing it to a long range ship completely adds new differentials to this equation.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2013, 10:52:48 am »
-snip-

Just a correction, I know your mentioned something about it, but here's how it works.

The Gatling deals 17 damage per shot to armor, not 10, because you have to apply both damage types and their respective damage modifiers, piercing on armor is 1.5 and shatter on armor is 0.2

so the Gatling that has 10 piercing and 10 shatter deals 15 piercing and 2 shatter on the armor, for a total of 17.

Of course your theory implies both ships start firing at each other at the same time and nobody misses a shot, but this is exactly why I think that close range builds on a Spire doesn't work, as a Spire, you absolutely NEED to get the first shots in, else you will die to any proper ship, and since nobody is perfect, shots will be missed and then it's when you are royal screwed over.

Just a quick correction, your math left out damage modifiers.  Actual "ideal" engagement lengths where all shots hit and are timed perfectly are actually  shorter.

Still, the health disadvantage of the spire is nonetheless the same and easily verifiable anecdotally even without precise math.  The solution is to give it enough dps to compensate.

Gotta have more cannon

Honestly Smollett I agree with you on the Mid range thing, it honestly feels that the Spire should be a mid range ship and I can feel it while playing it as well, you have the power to close in and make shots easier for your gunners, but the problem still lies in the fact that the moment you get in mid range, it's also easier for them to shoot back and you can't take those hits as well as they can take yours.

So which will it be? More cannon and leave 70% of your engages with critical damage or dead, or more health with the current cannon, which will be balanced out by the added health to give the ship more durability in a mid range situation?

I've had a discussion about this with one of my clan mates last night to be honest.

So, why did I make this thread in the first place? Because I honestly think that Muse can't get away with just giving the Spire 100 more health and call it a day.

But as someone said to me last night: "True, but the entire nature of the thread is hilarious, as like all Gameplay forum threads, it devolves into rant and counter-rant based around one-upmanship. Ultimately achieving nothing, and only adding noise. Everyone revisits grey-area arguments." (I won't give out a name for privacy reasons, but I think that what was said is true.)

Now ask yourselves, will this ship ever truly be a Glass cannon while the Galleon is in the game? Nothing has more firepower than that ship so please let's stop using that term, the Spire is not a Glass cannon, it's just glass at this point and it will never be a Glass cannon cause it will NEVER have more firepower than a Galleon. Point.

It's out-gunned and out tanked but almost all ships in the game and it's ALWAYS the weakest link in a team setup, which is why it's never used 95% of the time. Why take a weak link while ANY other ship can fill that spot withouth giving the enemy a clear primary target that can easily fall to dust? Not only is it the weakest link, it's also slow and can't dodge to save its life and has no armor to speak of what so ever and it's guns are easily taken out, effectively crippling its firepower very easily.

So what about those things? Why is everyone overlooking these? Does everyone in here think that it's perfectly okay for that ship to stay as is with minimum changes?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
That is the big question, ye.

Im just too afraid of it becoming too powerful with a potentialy small buff here or there.
I can withstand and do very good outside and inside pub matches, but damn arent the weaknesses of flying the damn thing so obvious.

There is a great deal other ships that have the power to abuse what they are anywhere, the spire lacks this.
Again, omniraptor listed it pretty well.

Making guns point forward, leaving everything else will make the spire a pick in maps such as fjords, dunes, maybe canyons and go just sniper. This will make the spire a glass cannon, specialy with orginized play but every ship can perform like a muthafuka on any map, so the slow, weak stick that is the spire will just be that "punching bag" again on those closer maps. Then why choose it. From quadfecta until you take damage, then it is Tri until you have to turn the ship, then it is Bi etc etc.

Turning up the acceleration by a noticable ammount, and i mean noticable would make the spire a very duke heavy ship. It can also have the potential to duck in and out of cover quickly and play a stealth game. Now i love this idea, but i doubt if it will be played that way or that the acceleration buff will make it apparent enough for players to play the spire in that sense. Or use its body type to help itself out with it... at all.

Buffing the health/armor is quite a common buff and has been around for many days, but its big, the baloon is begging for it to be shot. The hull is easy to confirm a shot, the guns are easy to take out. etc etc.

Looking at its stats, it is below average. With outside stat related effects like the hull and the baloon and the speed backfiring.
The good things are the guns and its added stat bonus to vertical acceleration. Dat it...
Oh dont forget about the bad component placement for the engineers to handle...

So, why did I make this thread in the first place? Because I honestly think that Muse can't get away with just giving the Spire 100 more health and call it a day.
-
So what about those things? Why is everyone overlooking these? Does everyone in here think that it's perfectly okay for that ship to stay as is with minimum changes?

I wonder when they give the spire some "more" love, what they will decide to do with it. No honestly, i am actualy not having a pleasant thought. If its just a lackluster buff, or an over the top buff im not happy either way.

An off topic question: If the spire would get a decent buff to be left as is of, what other ships do you think would then need a buff? My cents go for either the squid or the mobula.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »
Not to take this off topic but as of right now the squid is in a good place and conpetitive in my opinion.

As for the mobula, I really think the jury is still out.  I've had good success with it in recent pub play but that doesn't say much. If anything a very small boost to turning acceleration would help it but the ship doesn't feel like it needs too much currently.

Now that Spire has only dps and turning speed as its strength and it's weak to balloon popping, weapon component disables and outright being killed. 

Are we really worried about the Spire being op?

That Spire's gotta have more cannon.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 02:00:43 pm »

Turning up the acceleration by a noticable ammount, and i mean noticable would make the spire a very duke heavy ship. It can also have the potential to duck in and out of cover quickly and play a stealth game. Now i love this idea, but i doubt if it will be played that way or that the acceleration buff will make it apparent enough for players to play the spire in that sense. Or use its body type to help itself out with it... at all.

I'm curious about this solution, not just for the Spire.  In theory, what would we do with a Spire that could get up to top speed very quickly, even if that top speed was relatively slow?  It would be like suddenly juking, taking shots out of arc, even for just a second.  The superior turning of the spire allows it a sudden burst forward or back, a turn, keeps its guns on target and avoids maybe a second or two of damage. 

Spire, the Picard maneuver.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »
I like the idea of a faster acceleration speed for the spire. That combined with 4 front facing guns could give the spire all it needs to be competitive.

That Spire's gotta have more cannon.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2013, 05:58:32 am »

I'm curious about this solution, not just for the Spire.  In theory, what would we do with a Spire that could get up to top speed very quickly, even if that top speed was relatively slow?  It would be like suddenly juking, taking shots out of arc, even for just a second.  The superior turning of the spire allows it a sudden burst forward or back, a turn, keeps its guns on target and avoids maybe a second or two of damage. 

Spire, the Picard maneuver.

Thats what i want, and thats what i feel like it needs. But god damn there is so much going in my head about these buffs. I wonder how hard the spire rams then versus a stationary target up against a wall. Will the spire be even more velcroed to objects because it goes in just the right speed at that very moment.

I am at glee thinking about the good sides of it, but then again I WANNA TEST IT ALL!