Author Topic: Aboard a Goldfish  (Read 50380 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Aboard a Goldfish
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:53:37 am »
I totally forgot that, I had Drog jumping around up there once, but we never thought it'd be of much use! I'll apply for moderation of the guides section, so that I can edit this trick in here and keep the guide updated! A Salute and a mention to you in the guide, Mr. Sunderland Sir, as soon as I get to editing it!

Glad to be of service :) A salute back for the excellent guide!

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:41:00 am »
Did you know that you can use the ropes near the helm to jump onto the roof? I go up there every time I engineer on a Goldfish.

ha! i'm a major platforming fan. . and I had to make and test that collision map to no end, to the point where i had become a platform wizard on that ship. so i more then know about that one since i left it in there! and its been a while, but i used to jump onto the shield plating, to run up the black steel beams to get to the helm, not sure if its still possible, there's been a lot of changes since then to simplify the collision map. but from a gameplay side, this only really helps a pilot who for what ever reason jumped off his his helm.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:44:17 am »
Did you know that you can use the ropes near the helm to jump onto the roof? I go up there every time I engineer on a Goldfish.

ha! i'm a major platforming fan. . and I had to make and test that collision map to no end, to the point where i had become a platform wizard on that ship. so i more then know about that one since i left it in there! and its been a while, but i used to jump onto the shield plating, to run up the black steel beams to get to the helm, not sure if its still possible, there's been a lot of changes since then to simplify the collision map. but from a gameplay side, this only really helps a pilot who for what ever reason jumped off his his helm.

It still works. I go up to the helm that way all the time! As an engineer, I've spent loads of time searching for the fastest ways around the ships. I love throwing myself off the side of the Galleon and landing on the staircase, or using the rail on the Squid to hit one engine in mid-air, then hit the next one after landing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:46:27 am by -B- N-Sunderland »

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
what our other guides lack, pictures!

Seriously though, it's a great guide. Same probably goes for the spire one which I'll just embark checking out

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 09:39:00 am »
If we're taking faster ways around the Goldfish, if i need to get from the top to the turning engines, you can squeeze past the front of the balloon and fall down next to them. Also from the top, I run to the helm and off the right side of the captain to quickly access the hull.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:40 am »
If we're taking faster ways around the Goldfish, if i need to get from the top to the turning engines, you can squeeze past the front of the balloon and fall down next to them. Also from the top, I run to the helm and off the right side of the captain to quickly access the hull.

Yup, those ones always work well for me.

I also like jumping off the roof, bouncing off the captain's head, and landing right near the front gun. I still haven't gotten the reaction I want from the captain.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

Yup, those ones always work well for me.

I also like jumping off the roof, bouncing off the captain's head, and landing right near the front gun. I still haven't gotten the reaction I want from the captain.

Engie for me, and you might actually get the reaction you're looking for :P

Offline Perkins

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:14 am »
I captain the goldfish "HMS Suprise" and the setup i go with is the hawacha rocket on the front and gatlings on the sides, i usualy pick on the straglers in a game by sticking on their tales and pouring fire onto them by alternating between gatlings and rockets (1st rocket barrage disables engines, one gatling fires on the hull untill ammo is gone, by this time the rockets shouldbe reloaded and are fired at the hull, then the gatling, then the rockets etc etc) i guess its made easier by the fact i have a dedicated crew (a group of friends) but it could work with a public crew willing to work together

Offline Sir Hawkeye

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13:22 am »
Thanks for the guide, I can't wait to use this for when I pilot my goldfish, great work all round.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:23 am »
You make me more than proud, my fellow Goldfish captains. You shall all be welcome to fair Styria, and we shall sit in a Buschenschank together, feast on a Brettljausn and sip pumpkin seed oil together!

Offline Enjix

• Salutes: 3
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 06:15:39 pm »
Just felt like adding to the goldfish jumping fun, but you can jump on the left turning engine and squeeze though gap between the armor plating and the staircase. It shaves 2 seconds off the run from turning engines to main engine, but it's unfortunately so glitchy that it only works half the time.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
I know this guide is old, but I do not agree with the loadout presented. I also recommend giving multiple loadouts and explain them instead of expecting to give just one cookie cutter. With the layout you present you are severely lacking in explosive damage. You have put 2 shotguns on the ship and one gatling, that means the primary form of damage is a gigantic amount of flachette + some piercing. The heavy carronade can destroy a hull on its own, so rather than putting on a chaingun, I recommend putting on an artemis, flak or mortar depending on what your priorities are. At the same time, the light carronade doesn't really add to the goldfish' abilities, so I would put a flare, minelauncher or flamethrower on it.

Alternative builds ->
Front: Hwacha,
Port: utility weapon/Carronade
Starboard: Chaingun/Carronade

Front: Lumberjack
Port: Carronade
Starboard: Mortar

Front: Flak
Starboard: utility weapon/Mortar

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 04:21:54 am »
I know this guide is old, but I do not agree with the loadout presented. I also recommend giving multiple loadouts and explain them instead of expecting to give just one cookie cutter. With the layout you present you are severely lacking in explosive damage. You have put 2 shotguns on the ship and one gatling, that means the primary form of damage is a gigantic amount of flachette + some piercing. The heavy carronade can destroy a hull on its own, so rather than putting on a chaingun, I recommend putting on an artemis, flak or mortar depending on what your priorities are. At the same time, the light carronade doesn't really add to the goldfish' abilities, so I would put a flare, minelauncher or flamethrower on it.

Alternative builds ->
Front: Hwacha,
Port: utility weapon/Carronade
Starboard: Chaingun/Carronade

Front: Lumberjack
Starboard: Mortar

Front: Flak
Starboard: utility weapon/Mortar

Back when it was written the Beacon wasn't used and the Phobos and Lumberjack didn't even exist, if I remember that right :D But yes, I agree with you! I'm currently working on the Guides for Pyramidion, Mobula and Galleon to have them done for the Community Guide, but once those are here I'll update the Junker, Goldfish and Spire guides to work all the suggestions in - including yours here, thank you!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:41 am »
The lumberjack existed at that point, and it was already a couple months old. It just wasn't very popular.

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 03:57:17 pm »
The lumberjack existed at that point, and it was already a couple months old. It just wasn't very popular.
Seriously? Hmmm. I definitely won't write the timeline for the Guide :P