Author Topic: Rapid Fire - Left Click  (Read 49776 times)

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
Rapid Fire - Left Click
« on: September 08, 2013, 05:40:01 am »
Hi,
So with a tiny bit of experimentation I found it was possible to have the carronade, mortor and traditionally click to fire weapons act like the gatling gun, flamer, etc which are click and hold to fire types of weapons.

The most universal way this can be done is through using software such as autohotkey which allows you to define your own global shortcuts.

For example this script enables the insert key to toggle rapid fire left click
Ins::Suspend
LButton::
Loop
{
SetMouseDelay 30
Click
If (GetKeyState("LButton","P")=0)
Break
}
Found at: http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/39855-rapidfire-left-click-script/

Certain mouse drivers also support this type of integration.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Rapid Fire - Left Click
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:52:13 am »
I like that people look for advantages to get in games, but using methods outside of/not provided by the game itself isn't what I would call "equal and fair sportsmanship".

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:36 am »
If the tools and guns didn't have their own internal cooldowns, I'd call it cheating. Really though, this is just saving your mouse's lifespan. No issue with me here considering you can manually click far faster than the cooldowns of said tools and guns.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
You can click faster than this? Hm... I thought it was quite the contrary. Considering this, why not use it for the people who would like too.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:59:49 am »
You can click faster than this? Hm... I thought it was quite the contrary. Considering this, why not use it for the people who would like too.

It won't make a mortar fire any faster, but it will save your fingers. I guess I'd allow it, but I'm not gonna use it myself. Clicking as fast as I can is fun. It's actually kinda cool, though.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
While I reckon the benefits of such a script to be rather marginal, I think it's still cheating. I personally click with roughly 4-6Hz on guns like the carronade/mortar. That's roughly 200ms inbetween two cliks - quite a time gap which can be filled with scripts like yours. If you're able to fire each shot of a mortar volley 50ms earlier than me your last round will leave your gun 0.5s-0.9s earlier than mine. Not a biggie imo, but it still might possibly grant an advantage in outgunning situations.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:51 pm »
With server lag taken into account, I imagine the benefit would be hard to reap consistently.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:47 pm »
Iunno about anyone else, but I take pride in my burned out index finger muscles due to massive spam clicking....that and when it comes down to engineering, I found out that spam clicking still works better than holding down (in the case of buffing and rebuilding that is) by maybe a few milliseconds, but that adds up.

That's what reloading / cooldown is for ~ shake loose your muscles then get back at it.  Also the feel of full control with such weapons where you have to rapid click....that whole "I did that" feel...
like blasting out four lesmok rounds into a ship 2km away with a Lumberjack and seeing all four hit indicators after those few seconds of silence...feels too good...

Offline RaptorSystems

• [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:58:13 am »
Yeah, personally I'm considering it from an RSI preventative point of view, it would be easy enough to measure one's own average click rate and then adjust the script to match, however that can't be easily policed or detected.

I could be wrong but I would assume that clicks are filtered both client and server side, networking is expensive, you don't want to send pointless packets. Would need a muse developer to comment to really know though.

Also for clarity, I didn't write or modify the script, I just found it on that forum.

Edit: spelling correction.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:09:20 am by RaptorSystems »

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »
Well, i can click 12 times per second when I need to, and I have pretty good timing regardless, so I wouldn't get much benefit from a script like that. =p Clicking once every 83ms isn't as good as once every 30ms, but it's good enough for me. I can count the number of times those 53ms would have saved me on zero hands. (Actually, there might have been one time where it could have saved me, but that's about one out of a few thousand times)

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »
As I mainly play the engineer role I tend to do a lot of clicking.  I'm worried that one day I'll get RSI from all the repetitive clicking at some point and have to stop playing this game.  So I am pro anything that reduces the stupid amounts of clicking you have to do in this game :).

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
As I mainly play the engineer role I tend to do a lot of clicking.  I'm worried that one day I'll get RSI from all the repetitive clicking at some point and have to stop playing this game. 

To be fair there already is a click and hold function for continuous hits.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »
As I mainly play the engineer role I tend to do a lot of clicking.  I'm worried that one day I'll get RSI from all the repetitive clicking at some point and have to stop playing this game. 

I think a lot of people don't realize this because the timing of the rebuild hits don't match up with the animations. Like, if you tap the left mouse button when rebuilding a part, it animates each swing that rebuilds the meter, but if you just hold the button it still rebuilds at the same pace but the spanner/wrench/whatever doesn't match up with the "ticks." At least, that's what it is from what I can tell.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:53 pm »
Ok, just to kill off this thread.

Modifying hardware to manipulate inputs sent to a game is not a cheat. Having hardware that offer things that override the application's ways of working is a cheat. Having software that changes the game's behavior(like aimbots) is a cheat. This is the best part of course, the game has no way to distinguish a good clicker from a macro because there really isn't any difference. The script in OP post is permitted by what I just said. If the macro makes the game behave differently, then that's a flaw in the game and the game's developers should be fighting it. Easy as lie... I mean pie.

Offline treseritops

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »

I think a lot of people don't realize this because the timing of the rebuild hits don't match up with the animations. Like, if you tap the left mouse button when rebuilding a part, it animates each swing that rebuilds the meter, but if you just hold the button it still rebuilds at the same pace but the spanner/wrench/whatever doesn't match up with the "ticks." At least, that's what it is from what I can tell.

At least for rebuilding it does *not* actually click as fast as a person. If you click and hold it clicks every x amount of milliseconds but the problem is there is no cool down for rebuild. So if you can somehow click once every millisecond you can rebuild the hull in like 10milliseconds (like when two or three engineers all rebuild a hull at the same time...no cool down).

I accidentally let our ship die yesterday experimenting with this. "Wow, this rebuild seems slower... oh my god it definitely is! HURRY HURRY HURR- BOOM" hahaha