Author Topic: Turning Faster  (Read 12074 times)

Offline StrawberryDelite

• Salutes: 5
    • [NEKO]
    • View Profile
Turning Faster
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:56:18 pm »
I've heard people say that putting the ship in reverse allows you to turn faster... I've also heard others say that putting the engines on idle allows for faster turn speed as well.

Which is it? Reverse or idle? Or is it neither?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Turning Faster
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »
Idle is the quickest way of doing it. Switching your engines to reverse while turning is only good for cancelling forward speed.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
This is the basic theory. Everything is drawn to scale perfectly. Perfectly.

Basically reverse allows you to stay in line with them and get them in your view faster. This only works if the ship is moving by you though.

You don't turn faster, you just get them in your sights faster.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »
If you're moving forward quickly, putting your engines in reverse for the initial part of the turn helps. It depends on where you want to end up after the turn though.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:54 am »
While treseritops' explanation is valid. I think that that is more related to movement from idle to begin with. Another part I can fill in with a different perspective: traction. Anyone here that has learned to drive (from a decent instructor) is told to brake before turns and accelerate in the turns(not floor the pedal mind you...). This is for the simple reason that if you don't apply traction in the direction you wish to go, the car will still try to go in a straight line. Turning the airship in GoI is basically the same thing, just a little different. By staying forward, you are turning at max speed (or whatever speed you set) giving you the longest turning arc because the ships turn rather slowly. By going neutral you lose traction, which means you are going to go in the direction you were going before you turned your ship; this allows you to strafe. The third is reversing, you apply traction in the opposite direction you were originally going, slowing down the vessel and thus allowing a much sharper turn. In that turn of course there's a moment where the throttle should be set to forward once more as to not lose distance.

As such of course, there is no turning faster except for using a phoenix claw. But out of all the options available, there is no real best, just look at what you wish to achieve and pick the tool to do it.

Offline Bloodskal

• Salutes: 0
    • [TAP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »
This is the basic theory. Everything is drawn to scale perfectly. Perfectly.

Basically reverse allows you to stay in line with them and get them in your view faster. This only works if the ship is moving by you though.

You don't turn faster, you just get them in your sights faster.

I try to explain this, to a typical degree of success, to prospective pilots. Veering a quarter-turn at one-quarter to one-half speed, then full-reverse with manual speed-decay for an abrupt broadside. A lot of folks utilize this to align with an enemy who's trying to flank, too. I was pretty horrible with setting up my broadside arcs until I learned this concept^

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »
, you are technically turning faster when your engines are in neutral, however, when trying to get specific gun arcs on ships in a combat situation (i.e. changing broadsides) reversing is a far better than neutral. 
basically, the exact same thing everyone else has said but wording it slightly differently

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:17:56 am »
If you are flying a Mobula and one of your turning engines is down you will actually turn faster.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »
here is my question, are turning stats physics based or just numbers punched into ship stats.  As in, does the junker turn fast because of, say, where the engines are positioned in relation to center of gravity or does it just turn fast cause the devs said so?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
Some of them match up more or less with physics (e.g. Spire would probably have good turning speed in real life), but really they're just based on stats put in by the devs (the Junker, based on physics, should have bad turning speed).

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 12:49:11 pm »
Some of them match up more or less with physics (e.g. Spire would probably have good turning speed in real life), but really they're just based on stats put in by the devs (the Junker, based on physics, should have bad turning speed).

It's turning engines are mega-powerful then.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 10:09:17 am »
If you're not moving then you turn faster, if you are moving you turn slower. Putting engines in reverse just slows down your forward momentum.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:00:27 am »
If you're not moving then you turn faster, if you are moving you turn slower. Putting engines in reverse just slows down your forward momentum.

This because the streaming air to your left and right should try to keep moving at the same speed, creating an additional counterforce to any turn you try to make. Don't know if this concept actually applies in the game though.

Additionally: Neutral shouldn't turn faster than full throttle in any direction, when the wheel is at bedstop left (or right) the right (or left) turning engine should be on full throttle forward and the left (or right) on backward. So the only difference that should apply is how long a turning engine takes to switching into the reverse throttle. That means not the turn speed is reduced, but the time to reach full turn acceleration is doubled on full throttle as opposed to neutral. Time to reach full turn acceleration is neglible so the difference people feel it makes in turn speed is fully subjective or due to the difference in speed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:05:15 am by Sprayer »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »
At this point I would file a feature request for individual engine controls, because otherwise you can't be sure of which way of turning is which.

A pleasant side effect would be having the top engine running in reverse and bottom engines forward, letting you do backflips. :P