Author Topic: Lock out noobs  (Read 25618 times)

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Lock out noobs
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 05:20:24 am »
I know the tutorials are still lacking, it still is the least new players should try to learn. They already cover "Spanner is used to rebuild parts" and "mallet is used to repair parts" and "cooldown of repairs". I am kind of sick of explaining those to all the Swabbies.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:39:18 am by Sprayer »

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:44 am »
Err, I thought that was covered by the tutorials... I'll double check when I get home.

Offline Sprayer

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 05:39:53 am »
Yes, that's what I said.

Offline Arnox

• [Sw]
    • View Profile
    • Sand Wasps
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 06:45:48 am »
I think we will have to wait and see what Muse has in the trails :https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2327.msg39796.html?PHPSESSID=t2b2tauftkbuec56gpg32jqhr2#new.

One of the solution would be to integrate the tutorials as part of the classes rank unlocks (insert shiny reward here). This way a lot of more players will attempt the tutos, and with some luck will learn how to fix this damn hull.

I'm one of the most tyrannic, unfriendly, poor-english speaking captains outta here, but still : They are not all noobs, they are newbies. I'm often surprised to encounter smart and cool people in the 1 1 1 situation. They are curious, want to play the game and we had a lot of fun. Idiots will always be everywhere at anytime. An appropriate move to mitigate their impact, yes. A hammer bashing against any new player, I'm not sure the game would stand that longer...

just my 2 cents.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:45 am »
newb = newbie = novice = noob

There is no distinction between newbies and noobs. Now I understand you want to segregate between actual types of players, I tend to call the worser ones just 'casual' players(which by my definition is just a fancy word for retards), others just 'bad' players. As for those that have potential, I'd sure as hell would love to see them put in an environment where they can succeed.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:52 am »
Keep your thread to yourself. Nobody here agrees with that thread. Not a single person. I have a few things I really want to say to you but they might get me kicked out of the CAs, which is a position I really enjoy. Anyhow. Your idea is - one I strongly disagree with (edit: keep it calm) - and I really dislike every single idea you've proposed in it, from the "reporting casual players" to the idea that only the "cool bros" can be in the competitive scene.
Feel free to unleash whatever feelings you have towards me in pm. Keep in mind however that that is a two way street which means that no action can be taken against me for whatever reply I decide to make. Furthermore, I would like you to read the (full) post before you comment on it because something is telling me you missed just about half of it. Nowhere did I mention an elite scene or competitive scene. The competitive pool is accessible enough as it is, I see no reason to change that:p

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:40 am »
Keep your thread to yourself. Nobody here agrees with that thread. Not a single person. I have a few things I really want to say to you but they might get me kicked out of the CAs, which is a position I really enjoy. Anyhow. Your idea is - one I strongly disagree with (edit: keep it calm) - and I really dislike every single idea you've proposed in it, from the "reporting casual players" to the idea that only the "cool bros" can be in the competitive scene.
Feel free to unleash whatever feelings you have towards me in pm. Keep in mind however that that is a two way street which means that no action can be taken against me for whatever reply I decide to make. Furthermore, I would like you to read the (full) post before you comment on it because something is telling me you missed just about half of it. Nowhere did I mention an elite scene or competitive scene. The competitive pool is accessible enough as it is, I see no reason to change that:p

You're a good player and I value you in the community. I'm truly sorry about the previous post. It was completely out of scope. My humblest apologies.

Anyways. I tried the tutorials last night. The fire extinguisher one for engineer seemed broken. I'd extinguish a part but it wouldn't proceed to the next stage.

Offline Sprayer

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »
Tutorials worked fine for me when I started. About three weeks ago or so? Was there a patch since then?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »
If we locked new players to new player matches they may never find out what this game is about. New players should be allowed to continue joining regular matches to learn the meta then go back to "beginner matches" and pub stomp with that meta until they no longer qualify for "beginner matches." The best way to learn the meta is to fly with someone who knows it. The second best way is to fly against someone who knows it. Dicking around until something works is a distant third.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »
^
|

That.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 04:17:05 pm »
I would have sucked at this game and gave it up as a bad job had I not flown against Zill early on.
I thought I was hot stuff at the time, and then he, Yiski, and Shink pounded me into the ground a few times. I not longer thought I was good.

I dislike petty discrimination or segregation based on the fact that it's sometimes difficult to get along with other people. On average I have met great people who were willing to listen and learn, even if it didn't seem like it. I've had some very inexperienced players do a great job on my ship because I was a bit patient with them, and explained how things work.

If you are unwilling to teach newbies then you need to find a group of players to buffer yourself with. Otherwise you are going to have to take a good hard look at how you relate to new players. If you are consistently having a bad time, you might look at changing your own behavior, rather than trying to ship away the "problem".

It seems to me like you are trying to find an easy way out, rather than take the time to sort the problem properly. It is true that some people are there to ruin the experience for others. But really there are at least three better ways to tackle this particular issue. Nobody should have to be put in the "Pool on the Roof" group.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »
If we locked new players to new player matches they may never find out what this game is about. New players should be allowed to continue joining regular matches to learn the meta then go back to "beginner matches" and pub stomp with that meta until they no longer qualify for "beginner matches." The best way to learn the meta is to fly with someone who knows it. The second best way is to fly against someone who knows it. Dicking around until something works is a distant third.

Read OP, all of you. This thread is about forcing tutorial/ranking up to level 2-1-1 to players. Or at least that is my understanding. I completely agree with you about everything else. I don't want to alienate new players. I don't want to do anything of the sort. I guess the title is sort of misleading. Nobody here wants a separation of players. (Okay, I shouldn't speak for everybody, but it's safe to say most of us don't.)

Edit: Requesting name change to something more descriptive of proposal. Maybe "Require new players to complete tutorial or reach level 2." or something. I see how it's misleading.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:43:11 pm by Keon »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:52:27 pm »
Easier solution: mandatory tutorials.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »
I supported that idea as well, if you recall.

Offline Niels Juel

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »
Easier solution: mandatory tutorials.

I second this!