Author Topic: Ships with the power to kill  (Read 50909 times)

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
Re: Ships with the power to kill
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 05:38:18 pm »
Yeah, they should reduce the spread on almost every gun. It reduces their effective range to less than a carronade's effective range.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:02 pm »
Ok, just had to come to the defense of the Mobula, which with my load out is a long range disabler and a close range killer.  I use 2 artemis out wide and a merc on top.  This means from about 1000 yards out, I can start taking out all your precious guns you use to get an easy effective kill, then I can close and finish the job or just sit at range and keep disabling and eventually kill you, and it doesn't take that long.

If you use disabling to take out those pesky piercing/explosive combos by taking out the guns, or the engines, so they can't get in position to use said guns, or take out the balloon so they can't use the same said weapons, then that effective killing machine is not so tough.

If a ship has his gats on you and is just waiting for the hull to drop, the disabler has not done it's job.

Disabling can happen much faster than a kill, in some instances only takes one shot.  But it is risky.  You have to stay on them with the disable, keep guns down, and hope you don't miss that shot when the guns come back up.

Maybe this is why I have such success with my Mobula, it is meant to disable and kill.  Loading out my Junker in a very similar fashion with disable from longer range and killing power up close.

In this sense, the pyri is actually underpowered as it really can't bring disable along with kill power, at least not nearly as effectively as a Junker or Mobula or Galleon.

Side note:  Putting the Mobula and Spire in the same category is ridiculous.  The Spire is really quite useless.  Has to have a special tournament just to get some play.  IIRC the Mobula has won at least 2 Sunday Rumbles.  Just because almost no one knows how to properly engineer the ship doesn't make it bad.  I'd put my Mobie one on one with any ship in the game and I'm fairly certain I would win that match 90% of the time.  The Mobie is a proper glass cannon, the Spire is just glass, no cannon.

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:37 pm »
Coolstory Roman.

Sunday Rumble is a good indication...lolwut?:D

P.S i've already heard about some guy with 100+ win streak...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:08:43 pm by Xemko »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »
@Roman: I actually agree about the Mobula. I'd say it's the best ship outside of the top 3 (Junker, Pyra, Galleon). If you can use all five guns effectively, you have one hell of a ship.

And if you wanna test that 1v1 thing, I can ask Frogger to bring out the Dancing Feather so we can see what happens :P

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:58 pm »
Ok, just had to come to the defense of the Mobula...

Having personally had my ass kicked by your mobula I agree and think that your mobula is more or less the "meta" for the mobula. However, it is *really* difficult to set-up and use in a pub match. Yesterday I was in a match with two Mobulas (mobuli?) and the load-outs were about a step away from nonsensical. And even if you get the load-out correct you have to make sure the crew understands that this is not a pyramidion or junker, it has its own rules. And in a pub match the number one goal seems to be hitting ready and getting the game started ASAP, rather than setting up the game to work. We tried to explain putting piercing weapons here, using artemis for this, etc. And in the end we got a merc up top, one on the bottom right, a flamer on the other bottom, and I think the other guns were flak. The only luck we had was when another mobula turned to face us and for some reason literally never fired a shot. 

For most people (unfortunately) the mobula seems to be reduced to a silly/weak support ship with little to no purpose in its usage. The mobula has a very high reward for having the skill to use it, and a very high punishment for those who lack the experience.

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »
The mobula has a very high reward for having the skill to use it, and a very high punishment for those who lack the experience.
Just like any ship in the game.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:50 am »
The mobula has a very high reward for having the skill to use it, and a very high punishment for those who lack the experience.
Just like any ship in the game.

I think the galleon is pretty forgiving. The amount of health you have means that if you make a mistake you can usually heal your way out of it/all is not instantly lost.

If anything the Pyra and Junker have a lower reward than the mobula (less versatility in one build) but also take less skill as a whole crew. And inversely, if you really mess up your build for pyra or junker you can still mostly get around whereas a mobula is almost worthless without coordination.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 08:46:16 am »
For argument's sake I'm gonna say that staying under a Mobula is very easy and totaly screws it up, I've totalled a helluva lot of these ships by simply going bellow and popping their balloon with my Blenderfish, it's stupidly easy, takes one guy off the guns, easily campable balloon since the carronade has a massive upward arc and the mainframe is so weak, the moment you touch anything you are basically dead.

Now you can argue that you can stay at range and snipe, well good to luck to you, your ship is slow, unmanuverable and your ally will be helpless since you go down faster than a Goldfish.

Only the Galleon has the power to stay at range idefinately, never forget that and stop using it as an argument, by the time I get close you will have 2 people busy repairing your weak ship, you won't have 3 guns on me, ever unless I, for some reason, decide to stay away.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 09:31:46 am »
I sense a Falconeers vs Gentlemens match coming right up!

Though the match won't say a damn thing :D RomanKar: your words sound pretty fancy, but can you tell me what happened a few days ago when my Pyramiddion ran you through several times? And please don't tell me the devs can't aim:P

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 09:42:36 am »
Don't we already have a Mobula thread somewhere?

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:10 pm »
I don't think that anyone's disputing that smart people who are good at the game often have tactics to face other ships. Some people are good at the Mobula, some prefer Junker, whatever, and they each have reasons for doing so. What's being argued here is that in general, some ships are better at outright killing than others, and that fact is shaping the manner the game is played in ways that some of us think is boring/detrimental. One good ship doesn't really change that, again in general, the Pyramidion is by far the most popular ship, and that's because it uses some very simple, effective tactics.

I think that Zenark is right; the issue isn't so much with the current ships, but the current very strong status of the Gatling and Mortar guns. Every ship that can carry both at once has an advantage- not an insurmountable one, but an advantage nonetheless- that must be either countered or evaded. Simply put, a single Gatling and Mortar can kill most ships faster than almost anything else in the game...and they're also two of the easiest guns to use. A single Gat/Mortar combination can strip armor and blow up a hull faster than anything but an entire engineer team can repair. And if all your engineers are busy keeping the hull together, you're unlikely to be be able counterattack very effectively.

Now, some people have cautioned against lowering the damage of either gun, but I'm not sure what else to do. I just plain don't think any light gun should able to kill a ship in one clip- and the mortar needs less than a clip to kill most things.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2013, 02:22:20 pm »
For argument's sake I'm gonna say that staying under a Mobula is very easy and totaly screws it up, I've totalled a helluva lot of these ships by simply going bellow and popping their balloon with my Blenderfish, it's stupidly easy, takes one guy off the guns, easily campable balloon since the carronade has a massive upward arc and the mainframe is so weak, the moment you touch anything you are basically dead.

Now you can argue that you can stay at range and snipe, well good to luck to you, your ship is slow, unmanuverable and your ally will be helpless since you go down faster than a Goldfish.

Only the Galleon has the power to stay at range idefinately, never forget that and stop using it as an argument, by the time I get close you will have 2 people busy repairing your weak ship, you won't have 3 guns on me, ever unless I, for some reason, decide to stay away.

His disable build might break your weps and engines before you get the chance. ;)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
Now, some people have cautioned against lowering the damage of either gun, but I'm not sure what else to do. I just plain don't think any light gun should able to kill a ship in one clip- and the mortar needs less than a clip to kill most things.

I'm all for lowering the effectiveness of these. i ran with Gat mortar when my pilot refused to use flak during the META stages of gat/flak.

In my opinion
The Mortar's ammo clip and fire rate is ridiculous. Add Greased Rounds into the mix and you've got a recipe for disaster.
The Gatling gun could do with quicker fire rate yet less damage.

People please note that i said in my opinion.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:17 pm »
Greased round mortar is ridiculous. But when I reported it people disagreed and said that taking down the hull of a Galleon in one clip(after its hull armor is down) is a normal thing. If anything, the damage of the mortar should most definitely be reduced. Though I wouldn't change the gat. The problem with the gat is that it doesn't have any alternatives. If you're trying to build a kill ship, you're going to use a gatling, even if it would have worse dps than the fieldgun. We should probably wait for the new gun to see what that does as far as that goes.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2013, 12:38:55 pm »

This is more a matter of if I let you below me.  The Mobula has the most vertical mobility.  And if I can keep your Med. Carronade down while you approach, which, if I can't with a merc and two Artemis, then I deserve to die.

Yes, if a pyri gets the right angle and approach and gets a good ram, it will destroy a Mobula.  But I'm pretty sure everyone has been ram killed by a pyri in every ship, including a pyri, so, QKO, that really means nothing.

If we are talking about what ship can bring the most killing power, the Mobula is the best and has to be because of how squishy it is.  Yes, it gets double teamed a lot, first, because of what it is and does.  Just needs to be protected a bit.