Author Topic: Clans  (Read 16250 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Clans
« on: August 27, 2013, 04:12:31 pm »
Here's what I've got. Feedback would be awesome.

One of the great things about GoIO is how much more enjoyable the game becomes when you're playing with a group of friends. But what if none of your real life friends play the game, and the people in your social tab don't always show up at the same time as you do? That's where clans come in. Clans hand you an opportunity to be part of a community within the community, making it so you can always be online with a crew you know and trust. Guns of Icarus Online has dozens of different clans, each with their own traits. You might be interested, for example, in joining the just-for-fun clan X, the competitively-oriented clan Y, or a casual/competitive mix like clan Z. It all depends on what you're looking for and who you enjoy playing with. Some clans enter in competitions to prove their worth against the best opposition. Unlike in other games, the competitive scene of GoIO is extremely accessible. It's not rare for clans to pull off giant-killing performances mere weeks after their formation.

It should be noted, however, that joining a clan isn't an obligation at all. A lot of people enjoy staying out of clans, which means that they'll probably end up playing with a broader spectrum of players. Once again, it's all about your approach to playing the game.

Once you're in a clan, you can add their tag (if they have one) to your name in the social tab. This is currently the only in-game functionality with regards to clans, though other features can prove useful, such as crew formation. Many clans will also use features and programs outside of the game, such as Steam Groups, Teamspeak, or Skype in order to improve communication and organization.

If you're interested in joining a clan, you should check out the Docks board on the Guns of Icarus Online forum. A number of clans have recruitment threads there, and you can also make your own post in search of crew mates. For an overview of both the major clans and some up-and-coming ones, check out the Current Available Clans thread for details on each of them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:02:24 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Re: Clans
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:09 am »
That will fit in very well, I think we'll even have to raise it and add it in under the community section to have everything in one place! I like the in game examples, it'll make the clan scene look much more accessible. As we aim to make it the official GoIO guide though, Muse will have to tell us if mentioning certain clans in it will look like favorizing them too much :/

I'm just wondering if we should add in that most GoIO clans use Steam groups heavily for organization, which might be interesting for players who don't like to check forums, and that we've got some divisions of international gaming communities here as well.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:29 am »
While I was writing it I wasn't 100% sure about putting actual examples in, so if there's the need to do so at any point I can simply change the given clan names to "X, Y, and Z"

It now mentions how clans use outside features and programs like Steam Groups, TS, etc.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:04:36 am »
It is a well written piece, but I believe references to actual clans should be omitted. Of course it's down to Muse how they want their guide formatted.

from my perspective as a reader the article remains neutral even with the clans mentioned. (That may seem confusing given that I state clan names should be omitted. - What I mean is that mentioning specific clans may draw players to those clans rather looking in the dock for themselves, despite the article itself being neutral.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:06:41 am by Mr. Ace Rimmer »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:30:51 am »
Yeah, I've gone ahead and removed the specific clan names.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
will be great if we knew the background story of every clan