Author Topic: Firing mechanism and damage explanation  (Read 114583 times)

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Firing mechanism and damage explanation
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:43 am »
There is a bit of travel through for lots of the projectiles in the game though the devs never tell us how much.

I know frequently prior to 1.14 that a mercury shot could break a weapon and the hull in one shot. This was due to it traveling through the gun to hit both the gun and the hull.

Maybe this is what you observed?

Yes. But the question still remains, does it only set the first thing it hits on fire or everything it hits? Also, what are its other stats, since its information seems a bit outdated?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:21 am »
There is a bit of travel through for lots of the projectiles in the game though the devs never tell us how much.

I know frequently prior to 1.14 that a mercury shot could break a weapon and the hull in one shot. This was due to it traveling through the gun to hit both the gun and the hull.

Maybe this is what you observed?

This was because back then, damage would spill over from extra damage. So if you shot out a component (hull armor for example) with a merc, and leftover damage would then be applied to the hull using incorrect modifiers. I forget when that was changed, but now it shouldn't spill over at all.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Damage would spill from hull to armor but not from component to hull.

Awkm admitted a long time a go that some weapons would penetrate  but only a very small distance. Then sometime after that admission the mercury seemed to stop doing it without any official comments in the patch notes.

Anyways, just some stories from an old salty aeronaut.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »
How do the cloud highlighting mechanics of the flare work?

Sometimes I shoot a flare into a cloud, and my ship gets spotted but the enemy ships are not visible.
Sometimes I shoot a flare into a cloud, and I see the enemy and the enemy sees me.
Sometimes I shoot a flare into a cloud, and I see the enemy but they don't spot me back.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the distance from the flare or cloud, but a more precise answer would be appreciated.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:41 am »
Flares "illuminate" within a large radius once they trigger.  Ships that are illuminated and inside a cloud - regardless of team - are drawn as visible shadows on the cloud.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 02:23:15 pm »
Since you may have missed my questions, does the flare gun only set the first thing it hits on fire or everything it hits? Also, what are its stats, since its information seems a bit outdated?

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 02:31:26 pm »
Since you may have missed my questions, does the flare gun only set the first thing it hits on fire or everything it hits? Also, what are its stats, since its information seems a bit outdated?

Flaregun travels and sets everything it passes through on fire until it activates.  The distance between a hit and activation is rather small, but from my experience, far enough to go from the bottom of a Goldfish's hull to its balloon.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, could you update the stats of the Flare Gun on the weapons page? Seems to be out of date.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 11:44:09 am »
http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/weapons/

It seems like there are lots of mistakes in the AoE numbers. Among other things, the mortar should have 8 according to the 1.3 patch notes and the mine launcher should have 60. There's also no way the merc has 6.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52:25 am »
Yup it definitely looks like the aoe numbers have been shuffled.

Also the mine launcher damage stats are higher than the original patch notes.  Have they been changed recently?

I did notice that the light Mortar's aoe and direct damage numbers seem to have been swapped.  Has that been changed as well?

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 12:25:39 pm »
When you see errors in that spreadsheet, please PM or email me.

That stuff is updated manually by hand.  Honestly, it's one of the lowest priority items I have on my docket so any help I can get pin-pointing exactly what the errors are would be very very helpful and much appreciated.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 04:33:02 pm »
Several people seemed confused about exactly what Burst Rounds affects, so I'll set the record straight:

The +50% area-of-effect increases the radius of explosions (secondary damage on projectile weapons) and the size of particles (the flamethrower).  It does not affect raycast weapons whatsoever.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »
Wow, thanks for this.

I always thought it didn't effect flamethrower but did effect ray casts.

The more you know!

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 03:22:05 pm »
I've read over this a few times and I have a question, but before I ask it, I need some clarification.

Damage transfer only happens when the component you hit has already been destroyed, right?
Then the damage first transfers to the armor (unless it was the armor that was hit) and then to the hull, right?
And a multiplier isn't applied until it gets to the component that it actually does damage to, after which it applies the multiplier for that component, right?

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »
This is a complicated question but as far as I understand, the hull works differently from other components so this requires us to look at them separately.

For regular components:  damage will only transfer to the hull component (read this as armor or permahull depending on the state) from another component (ie the balloon) if that component (ie balloon) is already destroyed. So if you shoot at a destroyed balloon the damage will transfer to the hull component with the proper hull component modifier (this is a lot easier to conceptualize when you consider a destroyed balloon, gun, engine etc is turned into part of the hull hotbox. 

If however your shot breaks the armor of a ship, its damage can be split. Assuming the direct damage is enough to break the armor, the AOE damage will apply to the permahull though I'm uncertain which damage modifier it inherits.

Hope that helps answer your question.