Author Topic: "Guns of Icarus" fans, holding game back.  (Read 69770 times)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
Re: "Guns of Icarus" fans, holding game back.
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 05:55:16 pm »
...how the silly fuck can you spend 184 hours on Portal 2.  I can't replay Portal 2, I tried just so I could listen to the commentary but I couldn't do it, I can remember all the puzzle solutions and I only notice that the game's design is what made me feel clever, not me actually being clever.  Is there a bunch of really good fan-made content?

But I do think a lot of Portal's concepts can be applied to other games.  Someone mentioned that new players should be reading the manual earlier; Portal has a much more alien concept but doesn't rely on a manual to explain it.  Whenever a game has you referring back to a manual, either you're playing DnD or you've done something horribly wrong.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 06:21:53 pm »
...how the silly fuck can you spend 184 hours on Portal 2.  I can't replay Portal 2, I tried just so I could listen to the commentary but I couldn't do it, I can remember all the puzzle solutions and I only notice that the game's design is what made me feel clever, not me actually being clever.  Is there a bunch of really good fan-made content?

I expected such a reaction :)

Portal 2's Puzzle Maker came out last year, and there is a lot of really good content. I spent countless (184) hours playing it and creating some myself.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2013, 03:24:31 am »

I expected such a reaction :)

Portal 2's Puzzle Maker came out last year, and there is a lot of really good content. I spent countless (184) hours playing it and creating some myself.

I'll have to give that a go then, do you have any recommendations?

Also I need more people to argue with me so my longass post doesn't go to waste.  Hate it when a potentially good thread gets tossed in the junk forum.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2013, 03:25:08 am »
Potentially meaning "I posted in it" of course.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2013, 04:06:46 am »
Spending 184 hours on portal is kind of silly. But you do have a point about there being some really awesome content for it created by the community.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:08 am »
Spending 184 hours on portal is kind of silly. But you do have a point about there being some really awesome content for it created by the community.

When you get really into it, those hours fly by. I would download dozens of maps at once, and play them all in one go.

In response to Helmic, the very best maps out there are made by a user called Mevious. You'd swear that his maps were made by Valve, except they're a whole lot harder (usually). There are also a whole bunch of fun mini-game and creatively done puzzles by Geneosis. You'll also find lots of maps made in the Hammer editor, of which one of the best collection would be 12 Angry Tests. You should definitely check some of those out.

It must be annoying to not get a response here. That's the problem with posts from the Pit not showing up in the unread sections.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2013, 05:02:58 am »
I believe the conversation about team stacking is essentially closed now. While yes teams with more experienced players makes a difference, if you are willing to learn, listen, and for experienced players even help out the newbies we can make this community much more successful. The problem can be that some aren't willing and those are the problem children that need to be ironed out somehow, either by knocking some sense into them or by letting them find the answers they are looking for themselves. You can't blame all of us for this issue as some of us do try and make a difference. As for blatantly blaming aimlessly at every experienced player you see, that isn't really helping the issue now is it?

Offline HumbleBee

• Salutes: 0
    • [SSTR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »

This is what you did to them. Guess where they went? To play the other games in their bundle.

Hello ^^

As a general note, not every game is for everyone. With games totaling in the millions world-wide, it's impressive if an online-connection-dependant game can stay afloat (Yay, puns!). With massive games such as CoD:BO2 and other "main-stream" gamers being shoved into the minds of games morn, noon, and night, there's naught else one can do other than play with those what you can find and be happy with it. I honestly have never found a crew I've not enjoyed playing with. Whether it was a group of level one Captains (Yes, 3 captiains and one Engi, meself) or under Zill, I enjoy playing the game. I fix things, run around, and generaly have a good time. "Friendship" is an added bonus. Mostly to pass the time between having my hull blown out. But let's not point fingers and get them back on our decks. Thank you ^^

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:45 pm »
Hello ^^

As a general note, not every game is for everyone. With games totaling in the millions world-wide, it's impressive if an online-connection-dependant game can stay afloat (Yay, puns!). With massive games such as CoD:BO2 and other "main-stream" gamers being shoved into the minds of games morn, noon, and night, there's naught else one can do other than play with those what you can find and be happy with it. I honestly have never found a crew I've not enjoyed playing with. Whether it was a group of level one Captains (Yes, 3 captiains and one Engi, meself) or under Zill, I enjoy playing the game. I fix things, run around, and generaly have a good time. "Friendship" is an added bonus. Mostly to pass the time between having my hull blown out. But let's not point fingers and get them back on our decks. Thank you ^^

That's really generic and doesn't say much of anything.  Other games have larger communities and they aren't Call of Duty or Battlefield or World of Warcraft.  People have room for several games in their lives.  While I disagree with a lot of what Aythreuk says, that main point about team stacking being a big issue still stands.  If you weren't lucky enough to get a great crew the first time you played, on the day of the sale you were met with gamecrashing bugs and hopelessly stacked teams, any sane person would have written the game off as shit.  We, the players, can't do much about the bugs we've already posted about, but we can control the team stacking to a degree by sheer peer pressure.  It has a real effect and if we want a larger community we need to take some initiative.

Now, since this thread's been posted there HAS been some initiative.  To be perfectly frank I don't the flight schools are going to accomplish much beyond communicating that the game is so hard you need specialized training that only a handful of people will ever be on to get, but that there's a desire to do something like that means the community does want to address the issue.

What I think is having more of an effect is the change in attitude towards that "AI is better" joke.  When I first started playing during the Steam sale I ran into that comment a lot and it gave me a negative impression of the game's community.  I've heard it a grand total of once since: the guy was telling people joining his crew to leave because he preferred AI, so everyone else just proceeds to shit on him, saying if he can't lead newbies better than AI he's a terrible captain.  Now I'm sure some pansy is going to whine about being vulgar, but the fact that people are willing to be vulgar in defense of these new players (and then proceeding to kick ass with them) speaks MUCH louder than the quiet denouncement here on the forums.  It's like with baseball, sometimes it's worth arguing with the umpire just so your players can watch you do it.