Author Topic: Valuables  (Read 11019 times)

Offline Silas Knight

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
    • best
Valuables
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:20:53 pm »
So, I've been wondering some stuff and things and have some questions.

Is there a currency, if so, what is it?

What are valuable things/strategic resources?  (i.e. Salt, Wood, Gold)

Why is everyone fighting each other in the first place, especially since the world war ended, nearly wiped out all of humanity, and people have escaped the terrors of the ground to reach the skies?

Is there a cure/vaccine to the Red Death?

I'll expand this when I can think a bit clearer, going through some stuff and things.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Re: Valuables
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
Why is everyone fighting each other in the first place?

Well, the Yesha Empire feels that the world would just do a lot better if everyone followed their doctrine and are prepared to use force to convince others.

The Anglean Republic lies in an extremely technology rich, but resource poor area. So they are forced to send out raiders to nearby nations to gather resources for back home.

The Arashi League is, again, in an extremely resource poor area. But their war is mostly on a defensive front as......

The Mercantile Guild seeks to take over the Arashi territory so as to open up new trade routes with Yesha.

The Order of Chaladon doesn't really want to engage in war and preers just to sit on their island and tinker with chemicals.

And I imagine that the Fjord Baronies wouldn't mind having a bit more territory in the Burren, or even the island of Chaladon, where there are plenty of resources to satiate the Baronies.

Of course, the land is also ridden with pirates, who's only allegiance is with their own captain. They would probably be the main sources of conflict in the world.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:56:35 am »
I like this question, it brings to fore some of the possible game mechanics we may see in the future in relation to what kinds of cargo a ship might carry.

We know the intent is to build up cities that have been destroyed in the various faction wars, I can assume that valuable items may come from a long ago proposed crafting system if we consider crafting in tiers as follows.

Raw Resource<Refined Resource<Manufactured Parts<Assembled Goods<Refined Goods<Luxury Goods

There can be a lot of branching from this idea into various items that would need to be delivered to a city for the city to develop and evolve it's assets and defensive ability, improving the value of the actual city, or improving the kind of goods the city could produce.

With this previous thought we could see a chain of cities developing different parts of the chain of goods, making every resource more or less valuable in the city that it is sold in.

In Anvala finished goods would be required to assemble Superior goods, to be sent to Sanctuary to be refined into Luxury Goods.  Superior goods would be worth less in Sanctuary than they would be in Anvala, but Luxury goods would always be worth more than anything under them, but the best prices would be fetched in cities that consume Luxury goods, and not a city that refines raw material at the bottom of the chain.

We could expand on this even MORE, have entire unique lines of goods that require precious materials to start the initial chain, like gold, or silver, making those raw resources almost as valuable as Luxury goods of inferior material, but items that would still be less difficult to produce in quantity making them smaller profit margin, but safer investments from piracy.

(I put my EVE online hat on there for a moment.)

And then there is Skywhale oil, the most precious resource of all.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:40:31 am »
Raw Resource<Refined Resource<Manufactured Parts<Assembled Goods<Refined Goods<Luxury Goods<Instruments of War<Sky Whale Oil

Don't forget, weaponry will probably have far greater value than any other goods in a continent at war, well greater value than anything other than Skywhale oil

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:55:54 am »
Sky Whales are most valued.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:26:08 am »
Oh yes, that is most definately true about weapons.  I'd imagine the value could increase/decrease based on the need of the city at that time, with a count down timer to fill the city in questions need.  This mechanic would provide a kind of highlight for people to block lanes of access, or go into, thus directing some of the games traffic from just front line combat and border expansion to actual maintenance of the territories.

That could also play into whether or not a city degrades in it's current value to the faction that owns it, if a count down timer is not filled the city might become weaker, easier to take over, have a possibility of revolting (Multiple missed Refined goods quests leads the cities population into open revolt!  The city becomes a rogue faction spawning stronger pirates in the area)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:23:41 am »
more valuable than the resources or weapons themselves, would be the manufacturing centers.  a working factory in a shattered world such as this is just priceless. you only fight for these resources to supply your factories.

Offline Fantoompje

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:10 am »
What about labourers? Able crews? (a.k.a. the players!)

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:15:20 am »
I remember the good old days of Elite plus when you traveled from system to system and could trade, steal, sell, buy pretty much anything. slaves, computers, food, materials, technologies. Even some live cargo that could randomly harm the ship if it got loose.
What might be interesting too is jeweler and blacksmith, D3 style, that would require training to upgrade/combine some items into better/more valuable ones.

Great OP and interesting stuff. :)

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:27 am »
Why is everyone fighting each other in the first place?

Well, the Yesha Empire feels that the world would just do a lot better if everyone followed their doctrine and are prepared to use force to convince others.

The Anglean Republic lies in an extremely technology rich, but resource poor area. So they are forced to send out raiders to nearby nations to gather resources for back home.

The Arashi League is, again, in an extremely resource poor area. But their war is mostly on a defensive front as......

The Mercantile Guild seeks to take over the Arashi territory so as to open up new trade routes with Yesha.

The Order of Chaladon doesn't really want to engage in war and preers just to sit on their island and tinker with chemicals.

And I imagine that the Fjord Baronies wouldn't mind having a bit more territory in the Burren, or even the island of Chaladon, where there are plenty of resources to satiate the Baronies.

Of course, the land is also ridden with pirates, who's only allegiance is with their own captain. They would probably be the main sources of conflict in the world.
Since it's been necroed, I do love this ^
Excellent synopsis.