Author Topic: New Heavy Weapon  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
New Heavy Weapon
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:03:59 am »
I would like to see another mid range heavy weapon that does explosive damage. Perhaps a triple barrel grenade launcher that has a large arc and fires explosive rounds with a explosive A.O.E

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: New Heavy Weapon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »
How would you make this separate from the Flak? It sort of needs to fill a different role.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »
I think what Spud Nick is asking for is something like the mine launcher, but instead of leaving mines the round just explodes without requiring impact on ships hulls to trigger damage. The damage would be applied like a mine explosion.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »
We definitely need a new heavy weapon, the standard 4 is a bit boring and during the beta i think there were just 3. but the heavy weapons play a big role so dont underestimate a heavy weapon slot.

Most poeple are looking at a giant gattling gun, or anticipating a giant gattling gun.

Personally, i want a cannon, just a plane old cannon built to destroy armor. Fires like the grenade launcher. One shot. But takes atleast 2 consecutive hits to take down an avreage hull armor. Cant aim much down but can aim up. Left and right aims is that of the mercury.

Or something that takes out hull armor because quite frankly, the 4 heavy weapons are allready good for the few damage types. Lumberjack being the hybrid of Hwacha and Twin Carronade. While the heavy flak needs its counterpart. And that is armor percing, but i dont want it to be a good killer. The lumberjack that was mostly made to be a long range disabler kills alot quicker than the twin carronade because of the Braking damage. It takes hull health down too quickly.

WICH SURELY THEY WILL PATCH SOME WAY OR ANOTHER! RIGHT? HINT HINT!

But yeah, either a cannon,

Or a short ranged Tesla Coil type weapon.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:00:52 pm »
The lumberjack that was mostly made to be a long range disabler kills alot quicker than the twin carronade because of the Braking damage. It takes hull health down too quickly.

What's this "braking damage" you speak of? If you're talking about piercing, then no, it doesn't have any. It gets its armour stripping from flechette (the balloon popping one), which the carronade does more of per shot.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:57:30 am »
I see the flak as a long range weapon with it's arming time so I thought it would be great if we had another explosive weapon for close to mid range. A gun that would compliment a gatling gun, flamethrower or a heavy carronade.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:22 am »
I see the flak as a long range weapon with it's arming time so I thought it would be great if we had another explosive weapon for close to mid range. A gun that would compliment a gatling gun, flamethrower or a heavy carronade.

The hwacha already does that perfectly well.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:31 am »
He just wants some variety sheesh. I'd like a shiny new toy for my Goldie too.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:06:22 pm »
I'm not saying I don't want more heavy weapons (because I do), I'm just pointing out that the role he mentioned is already filled (so it wouldn't really help for variety).

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:31 pm »
I don't think it would be all that bad if a weapon filled the same role as another. The Magma Cannon coming out is to add more armor-striping weapons, so why not more explosive weapons? It doesn't have to have a role of it's own to add variety, just has to fill a role in a different and unique way. If every new weapon had to fill a unique role I think we'd run out of roles, and therefore new weapons.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »
It would have a faster reload time than the hwacha and have a downward arc to the shoots. It would fire more bullets than the flak but it would have less range and less damage per shoot. Think of it like a heavy version of the light mortar.

Offline Catfacechimp

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »
I agree with the tesla type weapon that I do believe somebody suggested in a post. It'd be nice to haver more variation and unique weapons, like a short range tesla charge or something. This could perhaps disable systems temporarily without causing any hull armour damage (Much like ion weaponry in FTL).

Also, I know we already have the lumberjack which sort of already fills this in, but perhaps a big, beefy, tank/artillery howitzer cannon. One that deals massive damage, but only holds one shell at a time and has the reload rate just faster than the manticore hwacha?

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:01 pm »
How about a ballista? Physics would work like the harpoon, but it's much bigger and doesn't have a rope.

You get one shot before a five second reload, the 'bolt' flies slightly faster than the current harpoon, and it causes piercing and impact damage.

The piercing could take out about 2/3rds of a Pyra's armor (haven't memorized the stats for the ships yet), but it also pushes the target a bit, like how mines do.

Some of yall might think 2/3rds might be too much, but the slow reload would allow for a mallet strike, not to mention it'd be difficult to aim. Now you have an armor piercer for heavy weapons that has moderate range (1000m), some difficulty to use, but wouldn't tear through armor like a heavy gatling might do.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:27:19 pm »
Tesla weaponry is something muse seemingly has considered for quite a while, and just like the "sun lasers" there's a bit of WIP renders for them. Though it's uncertain if they'll ever get implemented due to balance 'n stuff.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »
what about a gun that can spew a big fog cloud for you and your team to hide in

would be pretty funny