Author Topic: Request to swap positions/classes  (Read 15088 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Request to swap positions/classes
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 05:22:38 pm »
I think this is something else we'll agree to disagree on.  I can teach someone to Engineer if they have a spanner and a mallet, but not if they don't - no matter how many Gunner perks they have and aren't using.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »
Yeah, gunners need to have the right ammo to be of any more use than an engineer, quickjoining doesn't give you the luxury of choosing your loadout (even though it should while the game is loading, give you a map of the ship and your crewmates with options to change your loadout and class) and an engineer can fix everything that's inevitably exploding and/or on fire with very basic explanation from the captain.  If there's an issue with how engineers function, that's something that can be fixed with the on-screen tutorial messages or the UI.  Change the sound effect or something so it doesn't sound like it's "fixing" anything if you whack it while it's on cooldown, give more feedback so its easier for a new user to understand the repair mechanics.  If there's an understanding that new players are by default engineers, then there's not going to be any more cursing than there is already when a clueless gunner hops on the main gun and misses every shot while everything else is exploding.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 05:45:51 pm »
I bring up the default because I originally thought that all the level 1 gunners joining my ship were being selfish. They wanted to do the cool job and leave the Mallet whacking to some one else. Since I learned they were following the default settings, I have let up a bit on them. I still rage inside when my ship is on fire and my one AI engineer just got swapped out for a gunner.

My new player experience involved a few hours on practice mode then joining my first game as an engineer (where I felt i would contribute the least harm to my team). I still sucked and we died a lot but my first captain's response to "Hello this is my first game" was "that is fine you are more useful than the AI."

I would prefer new players start as engineer because:
1) What makes a good engineer can be explained verbally while what makes a good gunner must be learned from experience, and that experience can be gained from gungeneering.
2) It would cause less animosity from captains toward the new crew.
3) Giving a new player the tools to fix their own gun would allow them to be more independently effective, rather than increasing the work load (and animosity) of other players .
4) There is a greater need for engineers than gunners on most ship builds.

Keep in mind the first captain and crew a new player flies with is as much a part of the new player experience as the popup tutorial text. Hearing "Oh good we need some one like you" is preferable to "Oh god why did you join me ship?"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:02:09 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »
Alternatively, you could make gunners a bit more useful so that having 2 gunners and 1 engineer could be beneficial as well.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »
Alternatively, you could make gunners a bit more useful so that having 2 gunners and 1 engineer could be beneficial as well.

Again you wound me.... Next time your on, and you see me, come join the game... I'll show you the gunners usefulness