Author Topic: Is this kind of behavior acceptable in GOIO?  (Read 33881 times)

Offline WhiteWeasel

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Is this kind of behavior acceptable in GOIO?
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:20 am »
The video is kinda old, but I haven't seen anything about it here. Not just PBG's experience, I have seen a few cases of compettytive players myself, and I'm sure others have too.
Happens at 4:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KF2rE8GbAk

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Is this kind of behavior acceptable in GOIO?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:55 am »
I remember watching this and being embarrassed for our community.

Happens more than it should.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:33:32 am »
Sad to say, but yes.  This kind of behaviour when a player decides to join mid-match as second gunner is tragically becoming all too acceptable. 

Howard has assured us that Quick Start won't drop a second gunner onto a crew, so the player must be doing this deliberately.

(I'm more restrained in my language when this happens, but I will very strongly encourage a player to exit the match, start-stop a Sandbox game, change role to engineer and come back)

Offline WhiteWeasel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:05:47 am »
What really gets my knickers in a twist is that (usually captains from what I have seen) treat their crews like this and they complain about noob scrub rage quitters. I could not tell you off the top of my head as to why players would rudely drop out on them in the middle of a match like that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:10:19 am by WhiteWeasel »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:26:25 am »
PBG...noted for block list addition. The other guy goes nuts, but PBG should have some sense to not be a jerk by doing that.

Offline WhiteWeasel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:46 am »
PBG...noted for block list addition. The other guy goes nuts, but PBG should have some sense to not be a jerk by doing that.
Block list? I was unaware of this function.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:32:44 am »
Humans. There's no escaping the fact that some people... Rrrrrrghghhhh. ><

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:28 am »
Oh. That video.

I have 525 thumbs up on a comment there. Also a reply from PBG.

Anyhow, no. It's not, and we're sorry it happened that way.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:15:37 pm »
If you click on a player's name, you can select "Block X" in addition to "Add X as friend." This will prevent you from being able to hear their voice chat and see their text chat, which comes in very handy for spammers and other rule-breakers so you can peacefully ignore them. Just make sure if someone's breaking the rules that you also click to report them so that Muse can take any necessary action against them.

Offline Queen Chrysalis

• Salutes: 4
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »

Considering it was Pbg's first game, I don't see why "have some sense" applies.  He didn't know, and it's not like the lunatic screaming at him was explaining what was wrong and why.  You need to be more willing to guide the new players, rather than shut them out and ignore them.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »
Does he say it was his first? I just skipped to the part. Not going to sit through his vid. He seemed to have some concept of what to do so didn't seem like a total noob to me. Keep in mind, some of us have had noobs on their ships which literally behave like untrained chimps. Shooting randomly, banging on things randomly, and flinging fecal matter at random crew members ;D.

Offline Queen Chrysalis

• Salutes: 4
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »
Does he say it was his first? I just skipped to the part. Not going to sit through his vid. He seemed to have some concept of what to do so didn't seem like a total noob to me. Keep in mind, some of us have had noobs on their ships which literally behave like untrained chimps. Shooting randomly, banging on things randomly, and flinging fecal matter at random crew members ;D.

If you're not willing to take the time to bother to see if it's someones first match, then you really shouldn't pass judgement.  He had done only the tutorials, and then that was the first game he'd ever played.  It irritates me that people are so willing to dismiss someone without bothering to ask simple questions.  Ugh.

Yes, we've all had the people that refuse to or don't want to learn, and it's frustrating.  Best you can do is try to explain what you need and why, and hope that eventually they'll learn (obviously not playing if they try to stay on your ship after the match.)

But if you just dismiss people instantly, you could miss out on teaching gold nuggets that will one day grow into strong community members.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 06:56:41 pm »
So.... time to barely glance at a video then pass judgement?

Sounds good.

Offline WhiteWeasel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:15 pm »
If you click on a player's name, you can select "Block X" in addition to "Add X as friend." This will prevent you from being able to hear their voice chat and see their text chat, which comes in very handy for spammers and other rule-breakers so you can peacefully ignore them. Just make sure if someone's breaking the rules that you also click to report them so that Muse can take any necessary action against them.
I can't stand players like that. Sorta the reason I was turned off of online multiplayer games for a long time. Oh don't worry. I will always have my new video capture software on standby when playing just in case if they decide to challenge my claim later.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:15:30 pm by WhiteWeasel »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 04:01:56 am »
What really gets my knickers in a twist is that (usually captains from what I have seen) treat their crews like this and they complain about noob scrub rage quitters.

They don't complain about quitters, you're missing the point.  They treat their crews like this to make them quit.  Particularly when mid-game joiners takes you from Captain (pilot) +Gunner +2xAI, to Captain +2xGunner +Pilot.

If you haven't shouted at a new joiner for being an idiot for joining a second or third gunner or pilot, then you're either a saint or a liar.

And I still don't want a kick option.  But I would like to specify the role for the slot.  And if I set a slot as Engineer, and a player tries to join as a Gunner they should see the message "The Captain of this airship has set a preference for an Engineer in this slot.  Continue Yes/No?"