Author Topic: Mobula builds  (Read 41889 times)

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Mobula builds
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:49 pm »
I've been told several times that my Mobula build is slightly unorthodox or weird on occasion. And it got me thinking that the Mobula is a ship so rarely used that, to my knowledge, I am not aware of any Mobula meta. I mean, I've seen duel purpose Mobulas with a sniping side and brawling side, but I'm not so fond of that idea.

I prefer to set it up with a mortar on top, duel gatlings, a mine launcher on the left and flare on the right. Though, to be honest, the side two slots are basically just for utility.

but it did just get me thinking, what do people put on their Mobula and why?

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Mobula builds
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »
Artemis -- Mortar -- Merc -- Mortar -- Artemis

One guy always on Merc.  Two side engis start on Artemis -- 2 Artemis and a Merc do some crazy damage.  When the target gets closer the side engis jump to the Mortars to really bring the pain.

Simple.  Easy.  Effective.

If you aren't firing 3 guns at the same time, then I think you aren't getting the most out of the Mobula
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:02:39 pm by RomanKar »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:56 pm »
I have double merc on the left side, and a mortar/gat on the right (mortar on bottom deck). For the top mount I have a flare gun. Engineers work the lower deck guns while the gunner runs the entire length of the top deck when we switch between long and close range guns. as for the flare gun I certainly don't use a secret jumping technique to reach it from the helm. No such technique exists and any damage attributed to bright green lights coming from my ship are clearly a figment of an overactive imagination.

On an unrelated note I have been listening to too much "Night Vale"

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:46 am »
Artemis -- Mortar -- Merc -- Mortar -- Artemis

One guy always on Merc.  Two side engis start on Artemis -- 2 Artemis and a Merc do some crazy damage.  When the target gets closer the side engis jump to the Mortars to really bring the pain.

Simple.  Easy.  Effective.

If you aren't firing 3 guns at the same time, then I think you aren't getting the most out of the Mobula

I have the same guns but with the artemis and the mortars swapped - I tend to find that ships will try to slide around the side of the mobula to get behind it so having the mortars on the wing tips means I have a wider, more rear facing arc of fire as I turn to keep them front and center.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:28 am »
The general build I've noticed, with variation, is the merc/artemis side and the brawler side, with whatever on top. And I'm torn on whether to adopt this tactic. On one hand it seems logical for dual purpose builds... but on the other I've sworn to never snipe ever under any circumstances.

Who has any neat ideas for full brawling Mobula builds?

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 05:30:39 am »
Artemis - Gat - Flak - Gat - Artemis

Two engineers on the side top decks, One gunner with pipe wrench on the top deck.

When engaging from long range, the engineers man the artemis to start harassing. When the fights get close (or the enemy notices us) both engineers jump to the lower deck, and alternate focus fire with gatlings with fixing either hull or balloon, whichever they're in charge of.

Since it's a front attack ship, engines are usually protected, but if necessary the gunner can go back and fix the main engine. Meanwhile, the gunner has the hardest job because he must keep strict timing to harass with the Flak, but at the same time make sure it's ready on a full clip to unload when the enemy loses the armor.

This has so far worked very well for us since it makes crisis management easy. Everyone has very clear roles, and the role which requires the most strict timing (flak gunner) is almost distraction-free, which makes sure the gunner always nails the salvo in time.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:25 am »
Pure brawler:

Main deck gats
Bottom deck flaks
Top flare gun

One gungineer on each gat, and a main engi on the hull. The gungineers tear up the enemy ship's armour with double gat, then jump down to the flaks and finish them.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
The dual gat on the lower deck and mortar on the top seems to be the best brawler build. It's a hard ship to brawl with but it is very fun to fly.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:44 am »
It's also very effective. The combined force of 2 gatlings goes through armour like tissue paper, and having the main damage out put be up top means the captain, should everyone else be busy keeping the ship alive, can use the secret jump technique to fire it themselves.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:17 am »
that secret jump technique. . . . that doesn't exist. . . i might as well just make one that does exist and call it a day. . .

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:42:40 pm »
I use mercs on the right side, flak in the center, and carronades of the left. Jumping up to the flak with heavy clip can land the killing blow at long range with the mercs and at close range with the heavy clipped carronades. Since the mobula also has great ascending and descending speeds popping the balloon of anyone who gets to uncomfortably close sets me up for quick get aways and hopefully better positioning. For the most part it's a very kill before being killed strategy

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:52:39 pm »
that secret jump technique. . . . that doesn't exist. . . i might as well just make one that does exist and call it a day. . .

it does exist and I'm hoping it stays in after the update :D

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »
Cake clan has Sandy's Platform Birthday with 5 banshees, though I doubt that's something you'd be looking for.

Offline Laughanistan

• Salutes: 0
    • [DiB$]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:31:15 am »
I'm sure my build is unorthodox but I was on a ship where the pilot used it to great success so I've copied for my own piloting uses.

Mercury Field Gun on top, manned by the gunner who also repairs the main engine.

Two Banshees below, manned by the Engies and two Artemis's up top for when the enemy starts getting close and we have to start precise shooting their weapons or engines.

Basically, you sit back and let you allies head in to draw out your opponents ad you snipe from long range. With burst ammo on the Banshees enemy balloons get lit up like nobody's business. Only threat is someone getting close to you but usually if you fire at them constantly they blow up before they can get in position, however two ships coming from different angles requires a quick decisions to either fire on one or fly away and try to spin around so you can fire on both.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
Actually a more common, effective and often used build, the double banshees are a good choice as they have a good range, can shoot balloon and perma hull to good effect, I've seen it used a lot of times. :)