Author Topic: Improved matchmaking via a ranking system  (Read 23408 times)

Offline Kuratius

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Improved matchmaking via a ranking system
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:00:05 pm »
I haven't been playing much (still relatively new to the game), but what's up with the matchmaking system in GOI?
Pretty much everyone I've played against with my friends (who also only started playing this around the same time as I did) was really, really bad.
Currently I've won 22 out of 24 matches in total (that's roughly 91.66 % of matches) , and a lot the time the enemy didn't even get through our ships armor.
It's not even really a challenge, seriously. We just keep having completely flawless victiories where we don't even die once and just obliterate the enemy.
I mean, we've only been playing the pyramidion and squid (Pyramidion+Pyramidion and Pyramidion+Squid were the setups we've been using most of the time), but are random players really that bad or is it that difficult to coordinate efficiently if you don't know each other?
Does the matchmaking system currently have any features that support bringing together players with a roughly equal amount of skill?
Because if not, that's something that definitely NEEDS to get implemented, otherwise those who keep losing will get frustrated and those who keep winning aren't presented with any kind of real challenge.
A ranking system of some sort that supports the option of matchmaking based on ranking would solve this problem without any negative consequences.
Remember: If you keep losing, your ranking will decrease and you will end up fighting enemies that have also been losing constantly, and thus you will probably end up having a fair fight whose outcome isn't decided before the fight has even begun.
However, if you keep winning, the strenght of your opponents will constantly increase until you end up with people who are on the same level as you.
I feel that this is definitely something that is needed very, very badly.
Games like Dota and LoL use such a system with great success already, and it doesn't sound too difficult implement.

Edit: I just realized that this is the wrong sub-forum, could a mod please move this thread into the suggestions subforum?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:06:22 pm by Kuratius »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Improved matchmaking via a ranking system
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »
Ranking systems come with all sorts of negative consequences actually, but as to your own predicament, venturing into non-beginner games will probably prove to be more of a challenge.

Regardless, you've stumbled onto probably the most important aspect of the game, coordination and communication.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »
Do you have your filter set on beginner matches?
If you want more competitive style play, I suggest you check out the clans.
If you're into more casual stuff, there are usually some fairly high level game floating around at any given point (not that numbers mean anything).

I'd disable your filters, and if you still have this problem, my only suggestion is to start making friends. The friends system in game is designed so you can casually track people you like flying with/against.

Offline Kuratius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »
Do you have your filter set on beginner matches?
If you want more competitive style play, I suggest you check out the clans.
If you're into more casual stuff, there are usually some fairly high level game floating around at any given point (not that numbers mean anything).

I'd disable your filters, and if you still have this problem, my only suggestion is to start making friends. The friends system in game is designed so you can casually track people you like flying with/against.
Filters don't apply to quickjoin, do they?
A matchmaking system that is based on rankings would be ideal for that, as it would allow you to quickly find opponents and teammates that are on the same level as you are.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:46:37 pm by Kuratius »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
If you fit the requirements for a Beginner's Match (I.e. All levels 3 or lower), then Quick Join will automatically put you in one. Try picking a non-level restricted match manually to get more of a challenge.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:49:03 pm »
I'd suggest stop using Quick Join and wander into some game lobbies and try and seek out competition.  Honestly, I've never ever used the Quick Join.

The community is not so big that I believe a ranking system wouldn't really work all that well.  Also consider who's ranking are we taking into account?  The Captain?  The Crew? A combination of all on the ship?  None of these would be all that accurate.  I rather enjoy the "system" of just finding people to compete against.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
Actually anyone who is under level 3 in all ranks will be put into a beginner match when they click quick join. It has defiantly diffused much of the rage vets feel when a powder monkey quick joins their ship at a bad time.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:53:43 pm »
Actually anyone who is under level 3 in all ranks will be put into a beginner match when they click quick join. It has defiantly diffused much of the rage vets feel when a powder monkey quick joins their ship at a bad time.

It was a common misconception that Quick Join put people into running games. Those powder monkeys were joining ships through the match list. It just occurs much less now because of beginner matches.

That being said, I do not recommend using the Quick Join button to anybody.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 06:59:26 pm »
Ranking systems rely on stats, Muse takes stats out of the gameplay so people (rightly) don't focus on them as the objective of the game. Ranks are largely cosmetic in terms of how they affect gameplay, however they are fairly representative of time spent in the game, which translates as experience in tools, weaponry, strategy etc.

Also since last weekend there have been a lot of new arrivals due to certain youtubers featuring the game, meaning a large chunk of the player base is new, and there will always people who instinctively "get" the game and those that need to work at it.

As Plasmarobo says - you can step up the difficultly by choosing matches with higher concentrations of higher level players, though be aware more will be expected of you by a more experienced crew.

Offline Kuratius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »
If you fit the requirements for a Beginner's Match (I.e. All levels 3 or lower), then Quick Join will automatically put you in one. Try picking a non-level restricted match manually to get more of a challenge.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Still, the assumption that time spent playing the game equals actual skill and the ability to coordinate effectively is kinda flawed.
Wouldn't it be better for quickjoin to allow matchmaking based on actual success instead of merely on how much time you've spent playing the game?

Regarding concerns of how you'd determine the ranking of individual players:
You can use the already existing level system as a basis, i.e. how often did you win against opponents of similiar/equal level? If do so a certain amount of times, you automatically get put into a higher "matchmaking tier" regardless of the level of your character, and if you keep losing, you descend into a lower tier.
Most of the time, this would be a relatively accurate representation of how well you play.
While you might need to separate ranking for different classes (so that someone who doesn't have any experience at all at being a pilot doesn't end up in a higher tier match because of his engineering skills), this seems relatively simple to implement and generally beneficial to having a positive experience when playing the game.

@Calico Jack
Ah well, guess we'll just have to manually look for more skilled opponents.
Although my idea would solve the problem that some people immediatly "get" (understand) the game, while others don't, by putting those who do into matches with other successful players.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:07:23 pm by Kuratius »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »
Levels are achievement based not time playing based (but there is a correlation between how long you play and how much random stuff you accidentally check off on Muse's achievement list).
There are people who have logged less hours than me who are higher level, and people who have logged more hours than I who are lower level.

This community has benefited greatly from experienced players willing to take a few losses in order to teach less experienced players. Having an ongoing player rank and level based match making would lower the incentive for experienced players to do this.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:15:35 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
I agree with RomanKar about there are not enough players for a proper matchmaking system. Think about it: How many lobbys are there in average? Maybe 8-10? How many of those are in your region? Maybe 3-4? How many of those can you join with your friends to play on the same ship? So as you see, not many choices will remain.

I also think that the skill level is very hard to determine. It might be based on all the rank level, the invested time, the win/loose ratio of that played class, but having done that you'll still only have the relative skill level of a single member of a crew. All of this may mean nothing if the ship loadout is choosen poorly and/or the crew's class composition is bad, and/or there are communication problems (due to language barriers or whatever reasons), personal issues. So taking an average skill level of a whole crew would be as accurate as a random number.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:56 pm »
evodoc, you should really set the map filter to also show beginners matches, just to take a look. right now, there are dozens of games going right now. I've never seen so many lobbies in this game before. kinda crazy.

other than that, yeah, i agree that a matchmaking system doesn't make much sense for this game, for the reasons other folks have stated.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:58 pm »
How many of those can you join with your friends to play on the same ship?

You should try the "Form Cew" function - it allows you to create a crew then transplant it into a game lobby.

I also think that the skill level is very hard to determine.

As a crew you are the sum of your parts. However if you play regularly enough you will know the skill level of players and ships in your play slot. In other words your skill level is by peer review rather than working out how the program ticks boxes.

Still, the assumption that time spent playing the game equals actual skill and the ability to coordinate effectively is kinda flawed.

It's a generalisation and as such will not be true in every case

Wouldn't it be better for quickjoin to allow matchmaking based on actual success instead of merely on how much time you've spent playing the game?

In short no - how do you measure success in a game that requires you to team with at least 1 other crew? This game is designed to encourage team play, hence the lack of emphasis on personal kill counts, crew kill counts. The game only shows the final score not who scored the points. The stats, like the levels are there if you really need them, but they're not the focus of the game and you don't get rewarded by the game for prioritising them over co-ordinating with your team mates and crew, this imo is very intelligent design and one of the reasons I like this game so much.

Regarding concerns of how you'd determine the ranking of individual players:
You can use the already existing level system as a basis, i.e. how often did you win against opponents of similiar/equal level? If do so a certain amount of times, you automatically get put into a higher "matchmaking tier" regardless of the level of your character, and if you keep losing, you descend into a lower tier.

under the current system you can choose to stay in the level locked games until you reach level 4 or move on if you feel ready, it's a good compromise I feel, rather than forcing everyone though an arbitrary levelling or grading system, you get to choose.

Ah well, guess we'll just have to manually look for more skilled opponents.

you make it sound like a chore :), really it's just clicking on a different button.

Although my idea would solve the problem that some people immediatly "get" (understand) the game, while others don't, by putting those who do into matches with other successful players.
Personally I feel the problem is not the ones who "get" the game.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »
Seriously just come into the regular matches.

There are tons of people that really know how to play; and if you still keep curb stomping them, set up a scrimmage against one of the established clans or wander into their practice lobbies.  I guarantee you'll find a challenge against some of the best in the game.