Author Topic: Leaver penalty  (Read 53180 times)

Offline Riley Thomson

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Leaver penalty
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:22:01 pm »
Hello people..

I see to many teams/ships getting completely abandoned these days and that really ruins alot of fun.

I think this game needs a leaver penalty.
Very simple: if you leave a match, you can't play another match untill the match you left has ended, either by surrendering or by being victory/defeated.

This only counts for INGAME, so lobby part doesn't count in this.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Leaver penalty
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:15:37 pm »
I agree with the sentiment that there's a bit too much rage quitting going on.

I proposed in another thread (there's been a couple on this already) that a tracking system be implemented so people know how prone to leaving their teammates are and can choose their allies carefully.

This should discourage people from leaving in the first place in order so as not to give themselves a bad reputation that prevents people from wanting to play with them.

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:03 pm »
As much as I'd like to see a way to stomp rage quitters, there's many occasions in my life that could cause me to drop a game for a series of reasons beyond being a sore loser.

I feel like punishing people for dropping out of games they're getting spanked in or not having fun in is akin to the very reason Muse doesn't allow vote kick. It just sounds like a great way to turn more new people off.

However, maybe leaving TOO MANY games in rapid succession could net you a 5 minute cool down before you can join a new game? That sounds more reasonable.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:30:49 am »
I find it a personal challenge when my teammate leaves the match. Never give up never surrender!

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:44:06 am »
I can understand rage quitting when you end up in a "bad" team, where no one communicates, captains don't work together and you get stomped by the enemy team. I don't rage quit, and I think it puts people in a bad mood to be losing and to see everyone leaving, thus encouraging them even more to leave. We shouldn't forget there is a Surrender button ( but if nobody communicates, I don't see how they will all agree to surrender ).

Maybe on of the reasons people ragequit is that quite often, I see tons of beginner matches, but when I play in a regular lobby, there are still some totally new people that join, and if the teams are not balanced to counter it, they end up in the losing team and it causes some ragequit.

Offline Riley Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:54:20 am »
As much as I'd like to see a way to stomp rage quitters, there's many occasions in my life that could cause me to drop a game for a series of reasons beyond being a sore loser.

I feel like punishing people for dropping out of games they're getting spanked in or not having fun in is akin to the very reason Muse doesn't allow vote kick. It just sounds like a great way to turn more new people off.

However, maybe leaving TOO MANY games in rapid succession could net you a 5 minute cool down before you can join a new game? That sounds more reasonable.

Well, if you have to leave a game for something IRL, the only penalty that you will get is to wait till the game you left ended before you can join a new game. I think you'll hardly notice anything of that if you had to drop out of a game because of something in reallife...

And well, there's ALWAYS the button that  allows you to reconnects to the game you left? ;)

Offline Riley Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:08:41 am »
I can understand rage quitting when you end up in a "bad" team, where no one communicates, captains don't work together and you get stomped by the enemy team. I don't rage quit, and I think it puts people in a bad mood to be losing and to see everyone leaving, thus encouraging them even more to leave. We shouldn't forget there is a Surrender button ( but if nobody communicates, I don't see how they will all agree to surrender ).

Maybe on of the reasons people ragequit is that quite often, I see tons of beginner matches, but when I play in a regular lobby, there are still some totally new people that join, and if the teams are not balanced to counter it, they end up in the losing team and it causes some ragequit.

There's a big difference between "understanding ragequitting" and "supporting ragequitting"

• [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:11:56 am »
Yep, but what I wanted to say is that I'm not a fan of punishing people, I prefer trying to find more "peaceful" solutions.

Offline Riley Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:08 am »
Yep, but what I wanted to say is that I'm not a fan of punishing people, I prefer trying to find more "peaceful" solutions.

It's not really a punishment tho is it? I mean, you either wait till the match you left has ended, or you reconnect to the match. What's punishing about that?

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 06:48:01 am »
There's no real solution to that. But rather then "penalty" or "punish" people there could be a more encouraging solution to reward those who stay. I'm not sure how to do that but maybe something simple statistically showing the "recommandation" of others on your profile.

• [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:19:30 am »
It's not really a punishment tho is it? I mean, you either wait till the match you left has ended, or you reconnect to the match. What's punishing about that?

It still is a punishment, even if it is a small one

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 09:22:33 am »

It's definitely a punishment. Not to mention that I've been in games that have lasted over 30 minutes. To limit the game like that would be ludicrous. I like the idea of commendations for staying, or a revamped commendation system that allows you to earn some kind of rewards for round loyalty.

Then again, maybe rage quitting isn't as big of a problem as it seems and we're just noting a few bad apples. Still, limiting gameplay based on other people should be avoided at all costs. Muse makes it very clear they aren't interested in putting in anything that would scare off new players and that a player's access to a game should not be controlled by others.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:24:26 am by Cloudrunner »

Offline Riley Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:41 am »

It's definitely a punishment. Not to mention that I've been in games that have lasted over 30 minutes. To limit the game like that would be ludicrous. I like the idea of commendations for staying, or a revamped commendation system that allows you to earn some kind of rewards for round loyalty.

Then again, maybe rage quitting isn't as big of a problem as it seems and we're just noting a few bad apples. Still, limiting gameplay based on other people should be avoided at all costs. Muse makes it very clear they aren't interested in putting in anything that would scare off new players and that a player's access to a game should not be controlled by others.

It's not a punishment (that prevents you from playing the game). You can reconnect to the match you left at anytime, so once more, it does not prevent you from playing in a match. You just are not allowed to leave the match you started in and join another match, before it's came to an end.

Offline Olencia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:44:05 pm »

It's not a punishment (that prevents you from playing the game). You can reconnect to the match you left at anytime, so once more, it does not prevent you from playing in a match. You just are not allowed to leave the match you started in and join another match, before it's came to an end.

I DEFINATLY agree there has to be a way to discourage people to stop leaving matches over 3/4 of the time I start with a full team, but by the end I'm forced to being the captain because everyone has left. If you're worried about punishing people, it's those left in the game with the AI who is being punished if they don't want to be a pilot.

There are other games that fix this issues with time penalties if you leave a match where you aren't allowed to join another one, or as the others have mentioned, make it so if you leave the match the only option you get is to reconnect rather then joiing another match.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »
I think that the best captains in the game should start looking for surrendered ships to take over. Make it fun for the players that choose to stay and use your fancy piloting skills to turn the match around. Lets not make it hard for the ones that leave but make it fun for the ones that stay.