Author Topic: Risk - planning  (Read 20798 times)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Risk - planning
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:19 am »
This is not for sure, all hypothetical.

I had plans a while ago - loooong while ago, okay  ;)- to set up a gigantic risk board based off the adventure mode map. Instead of rolling dice, battles would be resolved in game.

Clans would gain reinforcements (ships) by land control, and by controlling a faction (aka continent). These ships could be deployed in any city. Then clans would attack from one city to another connected by trade lines. Instead of rolling dice to decide how battles are won, players would take to the field in game with the number of airships they had in the game board.

EG: Gents hold Anvala with 4 airships, and Corvus has 8 stationed in adjacent Sarin. So Corvus attacks Gents, using their max of 7 ships (One has to stay in Sarin), vs Gent's 4. They arrange a time and have a duel. The match ends with Gents taking a 5-2 victory. So they need to start another match, then and there preferably, this time with Gents having 2 more ships defending, and 2 ships on the attack with Corvus. So they both fight and --

You know, I can't use these guys as an example, otherwise it's going to look like I'm taking sides. So forgive me, Gents, because I need the offence to win so I can explain some stuff.

So Corvus wins the next match 2-1. There isn't a "Huzzah" screen or anything, but both teams should surrender, say their ggs, and report this update to the thread. So Corvus caps Anvala and moves their one surviving ship into it. They've won, but it was a costly victory. Play continues. Each week teams get reinforcements, at the end of the week cards can be handed out, etc.

So I ask all of you, who would be interested in doing something like this? What are problems you see? How should I change the rules to fix them? Obviously I don't want this to take over cogs or CeSports of Muse's new game, or the other many tourneys we do. But it would be a cool way to get different teams to scrimmage. So what do you think?

Edit: I'm sleepy this probably makes no sense. If you don't understand just ask and when I wake up I'll say something more intelligent.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
Re: Risk - planning
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:05:50 am »
I think this would be a great, extremely long-running event. But in your example of the strategic combat, shouldn't the Gents, after winning with their 4 ships against Corvus' 7 with a 5-2 victory, both sides would surely be left with 2 ships, seeing as Corvus lost 5 and Gents lost 2.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 06:05:22 am »
if you make clans and teams team up instead, you would eliminate 10-16 participants who needs to get their turn.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:22:06 am »
This sounds really cool actually. I wonder if the real adventure mode will be similar in any way...

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:30:07 am »
It sounds like it would be challenging to organize, but if you pulled it off, man it would be cool.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:58:45 pm »
Just thinking how long a game of Risk can go with just dice rolls, this would take a long, long, long time to achieve total victory. That being said, sounds like a fun idea and one I'll be interested in following to see what you come up with.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »
This sounds awesome and I want in so badly.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 06:46:12 pm »
One thing I've always had a problem with is starting a Risk game. Should we take turns choosing territory? Should I just randomize it? I need your input!

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:46 pm »
So forgive me, Gents

It's cool, I know you had good intentions.

But on topic, this sounds so amazing.
Like seriously amazing.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
if you make clans and teams team up instead, you would eliminate 10-16 participants who needs to get their turn.

Sorry, I don't really get what you mean.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »
He's saying there are so many active clans that including them all separately on different teams would make the game take excessively long.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:44:26 pm »
He's saying there are so many active clans that including them all separately on different teams would make the game take excessively long.

Ah. That makes sense. I'd only do this if there was a need to. How many clans/teams would be interested in doing this? If we only have 5 or 6 I don't want to, but yeah. 16 is a bit much.

Also, it might be easier if I had each turn take 1 week for all the teams. The attacker and defender would have to find a time to scrimmage on their own. Reinforcements would be given out on monday to all clans, but other than that, I don't see the point in saying: "polaris, it's your turn." when I could just say "It's the attack phase, post all battles and their outcomes".

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 12:09:19 am »
Also, the world map has something like 188 cities. I could either trim it down to just major cities, or we could agree to only play in one area, say the burren. Which would you guys prefer and if it's the second, what area?

World map is here, btw:

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 03:36:28 am »
I think that for the first game of risk, being an experiment for proof of concept, the played area should probably be cut down to the Burren, Firnfeld, Middle plains and Fjord area. But here's another thing to consider, the amount of cities needs to be a multiple of the amount of teams, so as to make sure all teams start with the same amount of cities.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:06 am »
so  what i meant was, that this requires participants from each team to  make it work every week or so.

lets say my team corvus cant make it one week, but our team ally xxxx can, and they will fight for the team that week.