Author Topic: Tar bomb laucher  (Read 12688 times)

Offline bullethose

• Salutes: 2
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
Tar bomb laucher
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:51 am »
an alternative to normal tar for weaker ships and a strategic weapon you could set up a wall of tar to defend your team mate or prevent enemy fire from being accurate not really useful for big open maps but very good for something like the labyrinth.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Tar bomb laucher
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
For weaker ships? Squids take tar a lot more often then I see other boats taking it.

Feels a little redundant to me in terms of mechanics. I'm all for utility guns that do what a pilot can't with his tools, kind of like flares currently. Just my opinion though.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:34 am »
...and make the tar flammable  !!111!! (yes I'm on a crusade )

Offline bullethose

• Salutes: 2
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:09 am »
reminds me of flares in that way except it does the except opposite of what they do I meant ships with bad engine placement e.g. mobulla. oh and it does everything normal tar does except destroy the engines.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:39:53 am by bullet hose »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:08 am »

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1160.0.html

Have a good read on that argument. It really won't accomplish anything over making tar OP, create lag, and generally be useless if it was to be balanced.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:17 am »

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1160.0.html

Have a good read on that argument. It really won't accomplish anything over making tar OP, create lag, and generally be useless if it was to be balanced.

wasn't quite what I had in mind, the lag inducement discussed there being the spreading flames: while (flameOn ==true) {flame++} (continual checking over time)

rather than how flames are currently modelled in game:  if (coponentHit== true) then {flame on} (checks once then moves on)

But I can see the word "tar" in this context gets hackles up, so to clarify what I'm talking about is basically a remotely triggered flamer - or a flame mine if you prefer, ship components with in a certain radius will be flamed, both friend and foe.

Why do we need it? A nice counter to ships that group too closely, shake things up a bit for those happy campers.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:27 am »
I think good mine placement already accomplishes this. And tar already can create a wall that ruins line of sight. A decent gunner can guess where you'll be tho. Just pair it with chute vent or hydrogen.

Honestly I find it fairly easy to avoid tar. You just choose a proper engagement distance. 
I actually see this being used as a sniper defense. If you are grouped up and getting charged, lob a firebomb at them and watch 'em run away. Currently the mine launcher is a super tactical weapon: easy to avoid if you can see it, devastating if more than one is hit.

Not sure why you want to counter ship grouping. It's a tactical choice that precludes flanking and a number of perfectly legitimate tactics. If you are trying to nerf snipers I'm not sure how this would do it. Wouldn't you need to be close enough to lob the 'bomb' at them anyway? Or do you expect them to randomly move into the weapon radius?

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:52 am »
I have 2 situations in mind - when a brawler is surgically grafted on to a ship with a long range build, and those fun times when to get to your team mate you basically have to re-enact "the Warriors".

As to range I was really thinking of firing it somewhere then triggering it remotely.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »
I have 2 situations in mind - when a brawler is surgically grafted on to a ship with a long range build

My suggestion for this is coordinate with your fellow captains better.
Also the junker can fill both roles wonderfully. So can a Galleon (my asymmetrical Galleon may be considered heresy by some by I <3 it).

Tar in particular is kind of strange. First of all, you either make it massive and game changing (IE OP) or you make it really dependent on the enemy entering a specific area, to which I say mines are a more balanced and challenging way to perform area denial. A tar mine would just be a two-for-one on not having to carry tar or mines both. Maybe a "tar flare" that's not remotely triggered.
The Torpedo discussion is kind of a grey area (moving mines or timed mines) that would also need a high amount of balance. However a mine explodes once, a torpedo would explode once, a tar could would presumably last for a bit of time (I think the current ones last for 15 seconds? Or is it 30?).

But...

Having a ranged "no" curtain just seems like taking the easy way out and/or solving a problem that doesn't really exist. If I've misunderstood you, by all means elaborate (I've never seen the warriors). To me, tar is an exceptional tactical weapon. It's easy to avoid, but generally buys you a few seconds, and makes hubris on the part of your enemy very costly. It also requires a bit of skill to use effectively. To automatically encase someone in that cloud...that doesn't quite seem fair.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:19 pm »
my asymmetrical Galleon may be considered heresy by some by I <3 it

Just about everybody runs an asymmetrical Galleon...

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:21:54 pm »
@Plamarobo

Yes, I think you are misunderstanding me.

Firstly you should see the Warriors  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/, it is a cult classic.

I'm not talking about tar. While this is in a thread called the tar bomb launcher, I read that as thermobaric weapon and wrote in that vein, intending:

1) a weapon that fires a round
2) the round will explode remotely in some way - shooting at, laying another one, remote trigger
3) when it explodes it will have AoE setting fire to components if any are within reach.

Think of it like a stationary mini flamer squid that will flame anything it can reach.

I think this sounds a fun weapon as it may or may not incapacitate a ship depending on how well you use it, but then I think making a pile of mines in a choke point in Canyons is fun, I appreciate it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Finally I believe these kinds of discussions to be like fantasy footie, while I may have conversations about my dream team, I will most probably never win the World Cup. But on the very slim chance that someone walks up to me with the World Cup I will not turn it away.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:23:57 pm by Calico Jack »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:49:20 pm »
I'm not talking about tar. While this is in a thread called the tar bomb launcher, I read that as thermobaric weapon and wrote in that vein, intending:

1) a weapon that fires a round
2) the round will explode remotely in some way - shooting at, laying another one, remote trigger
3) when it explodes it will have AoE setting fire to components if any are within reach.

This sounds eerily similar to a Incendiary Mine except without the impact/explosive damage.... imho

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:34 pm »
infact I reckoned that impact damage would be OP

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »
So you think that incendiary mines are OP?

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »
I think a mine with a damage model 100% faithful to thermobaric bombs would be OP - namely a blast AoE followed by flame AoE.

We already have mines with blast AoE, so you could actually have both AoE by having one of each kind of mine in close proximity but at the cost of 2 weapon slots, for weapons that cannot be used to fire directly on enemies - a fair trade off