Author Topic: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing  (Read 81993 times)

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:25 am »
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks Phoenix for your kind words regarding CAs as a whole. That being said, can we please get this thread back on track with the OP? If you would like, I can split the current conversation off to another thread.

Thanks,
Shink

Offline Boarchild

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:57 am »
you some random person who has done nothing but to sully the nature of this game further dare to tell other people that the drivel that you call your ideas are both factual and sensible is an insult to this game and it's developers.

I'm sorry Phoenix, but I have not sullied the game, nor do I have an intention of doing so. I try to help out as much as I can, which you claim I don't. You are entitled to your opinion, but you did call me selfish, which I have not displayed, and in such, called me names. And as to who has insulted who, well, your last post was pretty insulting, but I'll let that go.

No-one is better than anyone else here so if you think that by calling me names and trying to belittle me when all I have done is tell you the plain and honest truth, which you don't seem to accept, then you have the wrong attitude for this game;

I agree, noone is above anyone else, and frankly, I've been very curtious from the beginning. I try to be constructive, I try to be nice, but you just won't let go, nor will you stop displaying a very angry undertone. I have no quarrel with you, but you seem to have with me. I might have the wrong attitude for this game, I might not. The fact that I find it entertaining, and captivating, is enough for me.

I admire all the CAs here, they do an excellent job. I haven't said anything negative about them, so bringing that up is a bit unfortunate of you. I have Always gotten an extremele professional experience dealing with them, and they deserve all the praise they can get.

As a conclusion, I Think we should heed the request of Shinkurex and discontinue this discussion here, and let the thread return to it's original intention. Let's agree to disagree on all planes, and I'll buy you a beer at the local pub.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:33 am »
Getting the post back on track?! An absurd request Shink! How dare yo-- alrighty then time to skip the page 3 warzone and requote from page 2.

I don't know wether there is an increase, or a decrease in population, but..

The social part of the game, needs improvements.

For starters; the ingame chat, on the main menu, clears itself way too often, leaving us not knowing what people are actually talking about. Getting a proper ingame chat in Place, will boost the Community aspect of the game.

What about a teaching channel? A help channel? Being able to see all players online?

I can go on and on about commubnity things though..

As Phoenix said a few posts ahead of this one, we do seem to have a cycle of incoming and outgoing players. Right now the steam sale is ripe and there is a push of new players incoming on top of the returning players from the patch - We'll see how far this will take the steady population.

I don't really feel there's anything to add to our social structure that isn't already in the works; Muse has been putting a lot of effort into reworking their social game through parties, clans, crews, and general improvements to chat. Teaching and help is offered openly in regional chat via CAs, Muse employees, and even friendly players willing to help out. Most even make it well known to ask if there are any questions or concerns.

As far as teaching goes, besides chat questions, there are weekly training matches held in the new player lobbies to provide hands on learning from the CAs. It's an amazing effort that shows our CAs dedication to this game as these exersizes are voluntary yet tend to have a good showing of goodwilled players willing to help. If you're interested in learning more about them, I direct you to the training day board.

The playerbase fluctuates as new people jump in, old people grow bored, and new people give up. It's like any other game. The difference is: There are actually people here who care very strongly about this community and will do everything in their power to keep it going. You can see their voices everywhere and most carry a CA tag by now. Unfortunately you cannot force knowledge into someone unwilling to learn, however the stress induced by these bad eggs is often short lived. I can say from my experience, that for every one player unwilling to learn I have found another 3-5 new people to friend.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 10:27:47 am »
Getting the post back on track?! An absurd request Shink! How dare yo--

Blaming Shink for the moment...................................

I don't know whether there is an increase, or a decrease in population, but..

As others have stated, the community fluctuates in numbers again and again. Still, I remember back in the earlier days it was hard to scrap up enough people for a game, at least the community is large enough for people to actually play.

Wouldn't that have other graphical side effects? Post processing is a pretty big part of quality.

As far as I know, post processing is mainly just fancy after effects, things you really don't need to actually enjoy the game. Like Shink said, turn off Post Processing in the options menu.

Offline Boarchild

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:21 am »
Muse has been putting a lot of effort into reworking their social game through parties, clans, crews, and general improvements to chat.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of Muse staff you see in the ingame chat. It's a real treat. I'm impressed :)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:38 pm »
Muse has been putting a lot of effort into reworking their social game through parties, clans, crews, and general improvements to chat.

I'm actually amazed at the amount of Muse staff you see in the ingame chat. It's a real treat. I'm impressed :)

With a pinch of luck, a few will even drop into a game with you.

Just, be careful. A couple of 'em have some pretty crazy builds.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »

With a pinch of luck, a few will even drop into a game with you.

Just, be careful. A couple of 'em have some pretty crazy builds.

This is a true fact. Beware of Cullen.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »
I don't want to derail any further, but just a quick note. The issue mentioned earlier in this thread:

For starters; the ingame chat, on the main menu, clears itself way too often, leaving us not knowing what people are actually talking about. Getting a proper ingame chat in Place, will boost the Community aspect of the game.

has been fixed.

Offline Boarchild

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 03:22:15 pm »
I noticed that, great news :)

Offline Barujin

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
Honestly, I agree with the third post in the thread that these problems are mostly fixed with the new social features. Otherwise, some nice suggestions were made. I'd love to see larger crews (like five or six, maybe).

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 01:10:09 pm »
I just heard today that that is not planned.
"Teamwork gets a little wonky" is the quote, I believe.

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 02:50:59 pm »
Teamwork is wonky now. :P I'd love to see that quote for more info.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »
Unfortunately, it was in-game.

The Devs are around often enough, you can ask 'em yourself.

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 05:45:11 pm »
Yeah, I just saw them and asked about it. They're really stuck on the number 4 for some reason. I asked if we could have just one more crew member, making it 5. They seemed rather stubborn about it. They mentioned camping on repairs and said that it becomes impersonal for the captain with more than 4. That's all of the explanation I could get.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
There is some psychological research that shows humans can't focus on more than 3 at once. We can compartmentalize and abstract, so if we have 5 engineers we can compartmentalize the idea "engineering crew" instead of thinking about each engineer. That is why there are a lot of 4 player team games out there. Self + 3 other players is just enough for a player to keep track of before our brain starts having to abstract concepts.