Author Topic: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing  (Read 80884 times)

Offline Adino

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »
To memory, I've never noticed that damage log on the top left, and I'm sure a large percentage of the playerbase hasn't, either. I'd like to hear more about these "tons of visible indicators". The valuable ship data on the website is, indeed, difficult to access.

Really? It's, like, bigger than the chat box. In the top left corner when ANYTHING on ANY SHIP is destroyed or repaired, it will say so up there. Example:

Zenark has destroyed Hull Armor
Or
USS Enterprise has killed Crimson Chin (Yes Kirk, I used you)

Not to mention that with the new update, when Hull Armor is destroyed, a big black 'poof' appears around the ship with fragments falling down as if you actually see the Armor falling apart.

Those are not damage numbers, nor are they any indication of damage dealt whatsoever. I'd hardly consider them combat notifications. You can obviously see that you've killed someone, and since most matches are 2v2, you only need to look at the score to know if your teammate has died. It doesn't really matter who dies on the enemy team as long as one of them dies, unless you're in the heat of coordination and battle, in which case you'd probably notice which one dies, anyway.

Offline Adino

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:44 pm »
Damage indicators include the following:

-The damage log in the top left
-The balloon deflates as it takes damage
-Black smoke comes from heavily damaged/destroyed guns and engines
-A rather large black explosion when the hull armour goes down
-The ship visibly degenerates as it loses hull

It's still less than sufficient. Weapons smoke when damaged. Armor shatters after being destroyed, but we don't know how close it is until it finally goes boom. We don't have any clear readout as to the precise performance of our own ship's weapons.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 03:48:50 pm »
To memory, I've never noticed that damage log on the top left, and I'm sure a large percentage of the playerbase hasn't, either. I'd like to hear more about these "tons of visible indicators". The valuable ship data on the website is, indeed, difficult to access.

Really? It's, like, bigger than the chat box. In the top left corner when ANYTHING on ANY SHIP is destroyed or repaired, it will say so up there. Example:

Or

Not to mention that with the new update, when Hull Armor is destroyed, a big black 'poof' appears around the ship with fragments falling down as if you actually see the Armor falling apart.

Those are not damage numbers, nor are they any indication of damage dealt whatsoever. I'd hardly consider them combat notifications. You can obviously see that you've killed someone, and since most matches are 2v2, you only need to look at the score to know if your teammate has died. It doesn't really matter who dies on the enemy team as long as one of them dies, unless you're in the heat of coordination and battle, in which case you'd probably notice which one dies, anyway.
This game is far better off not having damage numbers or health bars displayed. Yes, there are indicators towards what's damaged and what's broken, and recognizing those is an important part of the game. This really doesn't need to have numbers thrown about on screen where you end up not looking at the fight itself, rather just looking at some hp window staring at numbers.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »
It's still less than sufficient. Weapons smoke when damaged. Armor shatters after being destroyed, but we don't know how close it is until it finally goes boom. We don't have any clear readout as to the precise performance of our own ship's weapons.

HUD-envy?

Sorry, but life doesn't have a HUD and too many games cater for the AR-nerd and forget that gameplay should be fun.  Precise numbers/status is not needed in game.

Offline Sailorman

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »
And thats the beauty of it, there are no numbers on the screen, no health bars, no HUD. Precise numbers would ruin the mood/immersion.

Offline Adino

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »
We don't need health bars. I agree bars would clutter up the UI, also. However, discreet-grey numbers in small font would not ruin the game's immersion. Many games even have a function to enable or disable damage numbers.

Some people want them, and others don't. I'm one that does. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to play without them, but I should be allowed to play with them. Same goes for the silly looking old-movie overlay. I can't stand that thing. A simple toggle in the options would solve both issues.

I do think the pilot should get his/her own HUD, though, that displays the status of all ship systems. I think that'd be a lot more efficient than constantly scanning one's screen or twisting one's camera to check on things. It could be as simple as little icons in the bottom middle of the screen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:14:21 pm by Adino »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »
Some people want them, and others don't. I'm one that does. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to play without them, but I should be allowed to play with them. Same goes for the silly looking old-movie overlay. I can't stand that thing. A simple toggle in the options would solve both issues.

Turning off the old-movie effect is done by setting the Post processing option to false.

Offline Adino

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »

Turning off the old-movie effect is done by setting the Post processing option to false.

Wouldn't that have other graphical side effects? Post processing is a pretty big part of quality.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »

Wouldn't that have other graphical side effects? Post processing is a pretty big part of quality.

I've only really noticed it removing the film grain and similar effects. Give it a go and see what you think.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:53 pm »

Or

HECK YEA.
*ahem*
It's also color coded by team. Components and players on the blue team appear in blue, and the same for red.

I.E.
Or
USS Enterprise has killed Crimson Chin (Yes Zenark, I used you)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:55:26 pm by James T. Kirk »

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 06:35:14 pm »
For long time and experienced players the beauty of the game IS that shooting is gone by estmation as is with the damage you've coused (estimation). [That sort of things IS the beauty of indie games]
By following the combat log you can learn a lot (as hull engineer I do actualy have a decent grasp of what's going on).

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 08:05:02 pm »
Is this really an argument AGAIN.

People keep saying theres a decrease in players: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1382.msg28953.html#msg28953

But then suddenly a wild Influx appears: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1490.msg25569.html#msg25569

So you guys tell me are we gunna keep going round in circles OR ARE WE GUNNA GET OVER THE FACT WE HAVE A CHANGING PLAYER BASE IT HAS BEEN SINCE DAY 1

This game has been almost a year and it had a recent kickstarter so no one can say its dying. JUST GO RAGE IN PRIVATE.

Luv and kisses Captain Phoenix

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:28:20 am »
For long time and experienced players the beauty of the game IS that shooting is gone by estmation as is with the damage you've coused (estimation). [That sort of things IS the beauty of indie games]
By following the combat log you can learn a lot (as hull engineer I do actualy have a decent grasp of what's going on).

+1

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 04:44:13 pm »
Anyone can count and do the math to see when a ship is about to die, that makes it easy. The fact that there are not any numerical indications of damage means that players need experience to know when to use what.

To me, this game is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to require tactics and skill that can only be acquired through playing on the different ships, guns, maps, and classes. This isn't a game you can learn to play alone... Well, you could, but that's no fun.

Offline Boarchild

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 04:25:21 pm »
I don't know wether there is an increase, or a decrease in population, but..

The social part of the game, needs improvements.

For starters; the ingame chat, on the main menu, clears itself way too often, leaving us not knowing what people are actually talking about. Getting a proper ingame chat in Place, will boost the Community aspect of the game.

What about a teaching channel? A help channel? Being able to see all players online?

I can go on and on about commubnity things though..