Author Topic: Gunnery for dummies v1.3.2 - A beginner's guide to the common weaponry.  (Read 81486 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnery for dummies v1.3 - A beginner's guide to the common weaponry.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
I can't speak for Echo, but I suppose his reasoning is similar to mine.

Greased mortar deals much, much (much) more DPS than burst. In fact, a buffed mortar with greased can kill a Galleon in three seconds. While the AoE increase from burst is nice, it slows down the fire rate, and therefore is less beneficial for outright killing than greased.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
You mentioned on the flare gun that heavy reduces its velocity, but heavy doesn't have the effect anymore. You can hit out to the max range of 750m with it.

Also, while i was poking around some of the data files, i discovered that the flare gun has a jitter of 5 degrees. For comparison, light flak has a jitter of 4 and gatling has 3.5.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »
You mentioned on the flare gun that heavy reduces its velocity, but heavy doesn't have the effect anymore. You can hit out to the max range of 750m with it.

Also, while i was poking around some of the data files, i discovered that the flare gun has a jitter of 5 degrees. For comparison, light flak has a jitter of 4 and gatling has 3.5.

The confusion, indeed, by the time I reached that part for some reason I forgot Heavy clip doesn't reduce projectile speed anymore. Sunderland if you can take that part out I would be grateful. And yes it has roughly the same random spread as the Light Flak, I think I mentioned it.

Offline Arona

• Salutes: 1
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
As a new player, I appreciate  your guide very much!  I've found it extremely helpful as I try to understand all the factors that come into play with the guns.  I've spent hours in the sandbox with your guide, trying out the various guns and ammo combinations.  One question, though.  After the 1.3 update, the GoIO website (http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/weapons/) shows that the Artemis has a damage type of Explosive and an AoE of Explosive, while your guide says the AoE is shatter.  Didn't it change to Explosive with the update, or is the website incorrect?  Thanks again for taking the time to make the guide!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:02 pm »
The gun stats table got completely messed up in 1.3. Ignore it, most of those stats are completely wrong. The Artemis is explosive-shatter.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »
Yeah, whoever updated the table at http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/weapons/ put everything in alphabetical order, but for whatever reason a lot of the damage values and types got mixed around. I posted somewhere else to let them know that it needs a bit of fixing, but now I'm thinking I should write an email instead.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:28 am »
As a new player, I appreciate  your guide very much!  I've found it extremely helpful as I try to understand all the factors that come into play with the guns.  I've spent hours in the sandbox with your guide, trying out the various guns and ammo combinations.  One question, though.  After the 1.3 update, the GoIO website (http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/weapons/) shows that the Artemis has a damage type of Explosive and an AoE of Explosive, while your guide says the AoE is shatter.  Didn't it change to Explosive with the update, or is the website incorrect?  Thanks again for taking the time to make the guide!

Since I still use the gun in game on my Junker and checked the in game stats recently I can assure you the weapon still deals an AoE Shatter, not explosive.

Thank you for taking the time to read my guide and I hope to see you in the skies, if you wish to practice further, feel free to add me in your friends list as well, my username is Echoez in the game.

Offline DerZivilist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 04:58:49 am »
I'm a new player too, playing engineer. One of my level 1 achievements calls for using burst rounds to kill components. And with those, I made an odd observation yesterday (v1.3.1 already).

For one, I used them to great effect on the banshee. If it's already good at spreading fire around, than 50% more radius will make it even better, and two more rockets per volley helps as well. It already fires relatively quickly, so the slight drop in rate of fire isn't too critical.

And here's the odd part: the whirlwind gatling. It obviously has no AoE worth mentioning and will never hit multiple components, burst rounds or not... I loaded them anyway, because it makes the magazine go from 60 shots to 72 shots. And then I listened to the rhythm of the shots. And while on the banshee, or the echidna, or the artemis I was easily able to tell the difference in rate of fire... I couldn't detect any difference whatsoever with the whirlwind. It hammered at exactly the same cadence as before, as far as my perception was concerned. I even went in sandbox mode to doublecheck in a stress-less situation, and it still felt the same. Could someone please independently test that?

That would mean that you get 12 extra shots on a primary armor breaker with no penalty whatsoever. Whether that's a bug or not, at least until the next patch it seems like a decent enough option for close range. Greased rounds will still pull higher DPS in the short term, but will inflict less total damage per clip and negatively impact gun mobility and projectile speed.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:23 am »
I'm not sure the sound of the Whirlwind is synched to the actual firing rate, someone from Muse will have to confirm.  But using Burst Rounds on the Whirlwind has always appeared to be more effective than the numbers would suggest.  It's possibly the increased slip size giving a greater DPC, or the effects on the DPS(C).

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:34 am »
I'm a new player too, playing engineer. One of my level 1 achievements calls for using burst rounds to kill components. And with those, I made an odd observation yesterday (v1.3.1 already).

For one, I used them to great effect on the banshee. If it's already good at spreading fire around, than 50% more radius will make it even better, and two more rockets per volley helps as well. It already fires relatively quickly, so the slight drop in rate of fire isn't too critical.

And here's the odd part: the whirlwind gatling. It obviously has no AoE worth mentioning and will never hit multiple components, burst rounds or not... I loaded them anyway, because it makes the magazine go from 60 shots to 72 shots. And then I listened to the rhythm of the shots. And while on the banshee, or the echidna, or the artemis I was easily able to tell the difference in rate of fire... I couldn't detect any difference whatsoever with the whirlwind. It hammered at exactly the same cadence as before, as far as my perception was concerned. I even went in sandbox mode to doublecheck in a stress-less situation, and it still felt the same. Could someone please independently test that?

That would mean that you get 12 extra shots on a primary armor breaker with no penalty whatsoever. Whether that's a bug or not, at least until the next patch it seems like a decent enough option for close range. Greased rounds will still pull higher DPS in the short term, but will inflict less total damage per clip and negatively impact gun mobility and projectile speed.

I salute you for trying to experiment with the guns and see what works. Yes Burst rounds are indeed pretty good on the Banshee. After playing some time I can assure you that I can tell the difference between the fire rate on both the Banshee and the Gatling with Burst loaded. On the Gatling, using burst doesn't get you 12 shots for 'free', you lose considerable DPS and the most important thing of all is that you have absolutely no accuracy unless you are realy close to them, which is a big downside as missing a lot of shots hampers you efficiency a lot and the explosion radius you get is not realy worth it.

As for the missing round suggestions, here I suggest some general tips and ammo and I wanted to keep it simple enough, though I might need to change some things due to 'updates'.

I suggest you experiment for yourself as well and see what works on 'general' and specific situations. What do you want to use the gun for? Burst on Banshee for example, as you stated, is very good for lighting multiple fires, while greased is amazing at DPS and focusing on the armor or balloon realy quickly.

Fly safe!

Offline DerZivilist

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 05:41:57 am »
I'm not sure the sound of the Whirlwind is synched to the actual firing rate, someone from Muse will have to confirm.  But using Burst Rounds on the Whirlwind has always appeared to be more effective than the numbers would suggest.  It's possibly the increased slip size giving a greater DPC, or the effects on the DPS(C).

Huh. Well. That could be why I'm hearing no difference, truth to be told.

I'll see if I can find a stopwatch and time the clip durations when I get home later. If the time difference between normal and burst is greater than 20%, the gun will fire more slowly. Math says the clip time should be around 40% greater if the RoF penalty applies properly.

Offline RockZombie

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 02:55:40 pm »
Hey Ech!

I was surprised to see a familiar name on these forums :D

A very nicely written guide - extremely helpful for newbies like myself, just starting out. Just started playing this game and it has a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning. I really appreciate guides like this to help take the edge off.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:22 am »
Thank you, much appreciated!

Glad you've found this guide useful, though the ammo preferrences on some of the guns are kind of out dated due to the new update (1.3.2) and I need to revisit it to add the Hades Light Cannon as well, I should be adding Heavy guns at some point as well..

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope it helped, fly safe!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gunnery for dummies v1.3.2 - A beginner's guide to the common weaponry.
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
Updated to Echo's 1.3.2 version by his request.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Gunnery for dummies v1.3.2 - A beginner's guide to the common weaponry.
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:17 am »
I have recently had success putting greased on flare guns. The refire rate isn't that bad but the faster you can dump those two shots and get back to repairing the better. There is time to preload the flare at the start of the match, and in between respawns if the captain is not burning engines.