Author Topic: The Barracuda Sky Torpedo  (Read 38692 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: The Barracuda Sky Torpedo
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 11:17:28 pm »
Talked with ressorius today a little on this. Asked if he'd forward this to muse in some way. But he did like the idea of a torpedo in game. Wasn't sure on a tracking function but liked a magnetic ability so there would be a friendly fire risk potential.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
Maybe the friendly fire aspect could merely act as a minor ram.

We don't want to make it too easy on those nasty trolls.

Offline The Churrosaur

• Salutes: 12
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 03:06:35 am »
Bit of a necro here.

But re-reading the thread, I noticed somebody mentioned the possibility of an adjustable arming time....

Ooh, idea. What if arming the warhead of the torpedo somehow popped its balloon, turning it into a rapidly arcing slugs of death.could add a whole new level of challenge to gunning them.

Would also let me drop them as bombs in a pinch. :p

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 07:02:10 am »
lol slugs of death. Like it but it might be a bit too difficult for gunners to handle.

Oh update, I did contact Muse directly on it and it has been noted.

Offline Captain Rico

• Salutes: 0
    • [SKH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 02:07:04 am »
stay with the armorpiercing thing.
give it impact
reduce the the explosion damage drastically but give it a big explosion radius. Hitting all modules at once, but not strong enough to destroy them.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 03:33:57 pm »
For those that question if Sky Torpedoes would fit the lore and world, I give you...the aerial torpedo design developed in WWI: http://io9.com/the-first-drones-used-in-world-war-i-453365075

Never saw completion unfortunately and was pretty much lost to history but the fact that there was ideas for it is nice. This however is more of a radio controlled rocket that the guy was inventing back then. Love that its actually called an "aerial torpedo."

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 02:55:07 am »
Im all for making snipers move more, but having a gun better than the lumber jack and the heavy flak in many ways is really problematic.

I would definetly want the new medium gun to have impact damage. And i do support how this could be used. But if anything, ide give this weapon a very bad vertical aim, but very wide horizontal aim.
Forcing the ship to be on the same level as the other ships.

And a Wide AOE. So that if it hits, it has a chance to also hit a neighboring ship. Or yourself if point blank.

With these adjustments you can make the torpedo go much quicker (much quicker), but add in one more nerf.  People are able to destroy the torpedo mid flight (Enemies can destroy it that is).

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:07 pm »
this idea reminds me of strapping three lumberjacks together and fire them all at once.

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:00 pm »
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but could the torpedoes be shot down and dodged? I know you mentioned dodging, but what if they could be shot down as well? They could behave kind of like the target practice ships in Sandbox except just delivering a payload. Launch your torpedo, hope it hits, and if not it could draw enemy fire or distract the captain for the split second you may need. Or perhaps a Hwacha barrage followed by a torpedo for pure destruction because no one can shoot it down?!

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 10:16:15 pm »
Either in this thread on one of the pages, or the other one I made in the gameplay forum. But yeah, shooting them down was a design concept.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
Imagine setting mines to your left... then... mines to your right... Then unleashing a barrage of slow-moving Barracuda Air-Torpedoes into the clouds to seek and destroy that camping Spire.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 12:15:48 am »
If we are trying to make it a good counter sniper (which I like) maybe we could have it bounce your ship around, just like the mines do, cause nothings worse that having your galleon spun the wrong way round right when your hwatcha gunner starts his burst

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:32 am »
That is what Impact damage does which is what the design calls for. Initial design was for armor piercing but a page or two in it changes to impact.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:00 pm »
I can see some very scary and funny moments going in with a tracker torpedo that could end up firing on a friendly...
Continuing on that ^ imagine mines that could track ships that draw too close or that simply drift around aimlessly in the general direction you fired them

Offline Sylas Firehammer

• Salutes: 2
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »
That actually makes me wonder, what DOES happen if you miss the target? Does the torpedo just continue on into whatever it hits next or does it go haywire due to the tracking? Or does it have an explosive timer after so far?