Author Topic: 1.3 General Speculation  (Read 112726 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 General Speculation
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »
You guys forget vanilla rounds too. You don't have to use special ammo to shoot a gun. Buff a gat with vanilla rounds. Better than greased?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »
I predict Muse will have completely ignored the cries of pilots and still not fixed Hydro. Also all my cries about fixing the Squid will remain unheeded because all the effort will have been put on the flying pancake Manta.

The mine launcher will make me insanely happy but ultimately 1.3 will go down as yet another failure by Muse like 1.2. I will then continue to push for personal hosting so we can run older versions of the game which don't turn it into the horrid mess it is.

So, go in with low expectations and then hopefully be surprised. This from two major updates ago where I used to go in with great expectations. Congrads Muse, you are now a big box developer! :D

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 06:33:09 pm »
(Seriously, does no one else find it annoying to have only captain=pilot, crew=engi?)

I don't know what you are talking about, I only like playing engie and pilot. My gunner ranks are the result of some youthful experimentation I would rather forget.

You guys forget vanilla rounds too. You don't have to use special ammo to shoot a gun. Buff a gat with vanilla rounds. Better than greased?

I was thinking heavy for medium range, switch to vanilla at close if we are still running gat gungineers.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 06:37:11 pm »
I predict Muse will have completely ignored the cries of pilots and still not fixed Hydro. Also all my cries about fixing the Squid will remain unheeded because all the effort will have been put on the flying pancake Manta.

The mine launcher will make me insanely happy but ultimately 1.3 will go down as yet another failure by Muse like 1.2. I will then continue to push for personal hosting so we can run older versions of the game which don't turn it into the horrid mess it is.

So, go in with low expectations and then hopefully be surprised. This from two major updates ago where I used to go in with great expectations. Congrads Muse, you are now a big box developer! :D

As condescending as this post is, I'll say that they are going to look into the squid.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »
...all the effort will have been put on the flying pancake Manta.
i thought it looked more like an upside-down Belgian Waffle:D

Offline Sir Mathias

• Salutes: 1
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 09:17:59 pm »
(Seriously, does no one else find it annoying to have only captain=pilot, crew=engi?)

I don't know what you are talking about, I only like playing engie and pilot. My gunner ranks are the result of some youthful experimentation I would rather forget.

I mean that I like how the game has three roles, each with the ability to do the others but with advantages in their own. I think it adds depth to the game that you really aren't getting if the only difference in roles is whoever's in the captain slot has three pilot items and whoever isn't has three repair items. It feels much more like I'm part of a crew if there are different defined roles than if I'm just filling up a crew slot. If all crew are engineers, it's more like I'm a little worker drone than a daring, swashbuckling skyship crewman, which, in the end, is what the game is all about. Haha I'm not phrasing that very well, I think, but the gist is I like more depth. I agree that gunning isn't very useful right now, which is why I hope 1.3 brings a little bit of validation back to the role.

Offline timmymonsta

• Salutes: 16
    • [BSSN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:37 pm »
There's going to be stuff like this happening with the clan tags.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:04 pm »
So, my opinions, in rapid-fire form-

Mines are silly OP.
Mobula is engineering hell.
The new UI elements in the lobby area are nice.
I really don't like the extinguisher changes.
Mines are silly OP.
Some of the chat changes are good, some are not good.
Mines are silly OP, especially with Lochnagar.

It's fine that extinguishers received a nerf, since they really trivialize putting out fires, but they way they were nerfed makes the chem spray a necessity, and makes heatsink ammo a little too mandatory. You simply can't afford a 5 second repair cooldown in the middle of a fight to put out a small stack of flames. It's much better to pre-spray important components with chem spray so you don't have to deal with fire as often. An experienced crew will know to bring chem spray and heatsink ammo, and generally know how to deal with fires, so this change punishes new players far more severely.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd much rather see the extinguisher and repair cooldowns be separated, and the extinguish cooldown be transferred to the player's tool rather than be on the component. In other words, a player should be able to spray whenever, but only be able to spray again (whether it be on the same component or another) after a set amount of time. Justification could be that the extinguishing tool needs to build up pressure again.

The chat system looks nice, but I don't really like how global and match chat are separated (EDIT: they're separate tabs, so you can't see global chat and match chat at the same time). I get that you're kind of running out of buttons to choose which chat to type in, but this makes me think it might be better to switch over to something like what WoW uses. In other words, press Enter, type /p or /crew or whatever to choose which chat you want to type in, and remember which chat you last typed in when you hit enter so you may not need to type /[channel] again.

Also, in such a team-oriented game, you should not be able to close the chat window.

Mines are a trickier issue to tackle. They're simply too deadly. They're too easy to stack and they probably do way too much damage. I'm not sure how to fix them.

As for the Mobula, I haven't played on it enough to really get a feel for the ship, but I will say that it would be really nice if there were stairs or ladders leading up from the side engines to the area under the center engine. Components are just ridiculously spread apart, so please throw us a bone and make it easier to get all the engines in one go.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:41:17 pm by naufrago »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 11:40:53 pm »
Mines are a trickier issue to tackle. They're simply too deadly. They're too easy to stack and they probably do way too much damage. I'm not sure how to fix them.
Probably bu changing how ammo types affect them.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 12:03:41 am »
Probably by changing how ammo types affect them.

That wouldn't change what's fundamentally OP about them, though. Even ignoring special ammo, they're too good.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 12:03:58 am »
I'm not a fan of the balance changes.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:15:49 am by N-Sunderland »

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 12:44:59 am »
I'm absolutely loving the balance changes. Mines change things a ton and mean you can't just rush a gat flak into the fray and win. Reduced gat spread and heavy clip nerfs are very nice. Fire now does things and keeps a ship disabled properly, giving an actual opportunity to attack.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 01:12:38 am »
If gat/flak is such a mess now then I guess we'll see a resurgence of Flunkers and Pyromidions outside of sniper battling.

I really don't like the reports coming in. Sounds like we are getting some nightmarish balancing and other issues which will likely overshadow the new ship. Sure wish balancing would be brought more to the community. Every balancing that happens is like they turn a gun from slightly OP to so useless no one uses it ever again.

It will be a sad day when mines get nerfed. Till then, I think I will abuse them as much as I can. Yeah I know, I'd be feeding the machine that kills it but theres likely nothing that could be done about that anyways. Probably all mines need is an arming timer to rebalance them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:14:11 am by Gilder »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 03:03:20 am »
Mines have an arming timer though lochnagar gets rid of it.

Heavy clip is no longer useful for long range chain gun since ray cast weapons now have range reduction corresponding to muzzle velocity reduction.

Think the jury is still out on mines and the manta.

Mercury seems too powerful currently, hoping it's dialed back to it's current strength.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 05:05:21 am »
Ok I went in with low expectations and I was surprised. See, it pays to expect the worst in patches!!

1. Gat is far too weak now. I can see the new meta turning into Merc/Flak or Merc/Mortar
2. Chute/Hydro actually work, somewhat. Not 1.1 work but they behave like a buffed balloon cept for a few sec instead of till you hit something. This will take adjustment but it is a step in the right direction.
3. Mobula...name stinks. Ship is going to be interesting and I can see potential for competitive play but the name stinks. Sounds like someone mated Morbie and Scott Bakula.
4. Mob...Manta would have been neater with 2 forward medium guns and a single small gun. There is a lot of seemingly wasted space on the flattop. Yeah, engineers hell.
5. Mines...heh hehe heheh hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe...don't ever change them...heeheh hehe heh heheh eh heeheheheheheheh...HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH EHEH HEHE HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!
6. Squid...still needs a turn rate fix. Still underpowered compared to 1.1. Same for speed and acceleration.
7. Kerosene appears to have been fixed. No more using it to turn faster like the claw.
8. Mines...hehehehehe hehehe hehehehe hehehehehehehehehehhehehehehe
9. Heavy clip should be a slower fire rate but distance shouldn't be cut.
10. Moving the Flayed map achievement...YOU SADISTIC @#$^@#&#@!&#@!!#%@!!!&#*#%*#$*@!!!!!! Please tell me I don't have to do that nightmare again!!!

Guys, when this hits...I am so hosting a Mine Wars event. Junker, Manta, Pyra, Squid...nothing but mine launchers on 3v3...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! Oh I can't wait.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:15:46 am by Gilder »