Author Topic: 1.3 General Speculation  (Read 110705 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
1.3 General Speculation
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »
We don't need the Mobula and New Build threads to get clogged with general speculation about 1.3, so here we go. Speculate.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 General Speculation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »
With the heavy clip change and the fire extinguishing/chem spray nerf coming at the same time will gunners become the new meta or will three engineers become necessary?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »
I tested greased on the gat yesterday and it seemed to be terrible. Too many missed shots. On the other hand, heatsink will once again be important for keeping flames at bay. It'll take some testing to figure out.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:05 pm »
Let's talk about achievements. First, I hope the bugs will be fixed. For me, I almost cannot level past 8 on pilot because many are capture 50 or 100, white whaler, etc which are bugged. Secondly, I hope they change either the wording on defend, or better yet change it to mean killing a ship while you are on a capture point. Let's face it, as it works now, it's almost impossible to complete 50 defends with a galleon.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
I don't care too much for the achieves myself.

I'm just having a whole lot of trouble figuring out the meta. Flamethrowers meta? Yes. Mine launchers? Yes. Mobula? Maybe.

But what will happen to gatflak? Heavy clip will still be necessary for longer ranges, but you'll be dropping so much DPS from that fire rate decrease. You'll need to get up in their face to actually have the gat do something (you need to get, so, so close up to make the gat hit a decent amount without heavy). For that reason, plus the flak losing effectiveness from the heavy nerf, maybe we'll see mortars being used more often? But then you're also putting yourself at risk against flamethrowers.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:26 pm »
I tested greased on the gat yesterday and it seemed to be terrible. Too many missed shots. On the other hand, heatsink will once again be important for keeping flames at bay. It'll take some testing to figure out.

Actually that's the true spread of the Gatling, you are just too spoiled by using Heavy clip all the time like, probably, all of us.

What I expect from 1.3:
1. Rage
2. Prettier UI
3. More indirect carronade nerfs (because you can never have enough of those)
4. The already effective snipers are now the new 100% solid metagame.
5. Gat/Flak's range got the middle finger.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:00 pm »
Erm... I know... I was just saying greased specifically because it's viewed as the best option outside of heavy.

And yes, the UI is getting much, much better.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
I did forget something if fire cooldowns are indeed changing, and that is Heatsink.

Though, that makes it more a requirement again.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »
I was just kidding :P

Still, the firing rate nerf on Heavy clip pretty much screws over carronades, especialy the light ones, and they didn't need more nerfs, even if indirect. So now that the brawling builds got a massive hit, I'm curious to see if the game will devolve into LJ spam or I don't even know what.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »
Heavy in a light carronade wasn't that great anyway. I always liked greased more.

It is rather funny how carronades always get indirectly nerfed though.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
From what I've heard, the carronade seems to be the most viable way to deal with mines.

And you know that there are going to be lots of those in the upcoming days.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »
Heavy in a light carronade wasn't that great anyway. I always liked greased more.

the Hellhound does get a pretty massive hit from the Heavy clip nerf and the Light ones can still use greased I guess, but still Heavy was a very viable alternative for more focused damage on a single component if you used it as a disable and not DPS

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »

the Hellhound does get a pretty massive hit from the Heavy clip nerf and the Light ones can still use greased I guess, but still Heavy was a very viable alternative for more focussed damage if you used it as a disable and not DPS

But how much of a nerf is reducing firing speed on such a low-ammo capacity/slowish-firing weapon anyway?

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »
If carronades really need it, they can always buff the base fire rate to compensate. Nice quick fix.

As for the change to the extinguishers, assuming it's not a bug, I'd much rather see the extinguish cooldown be on the tool instead of the component. I'd like to see the repair cooldown be separate from the extinguish cooldown. You can justify it as the chem spray/extinguisher needing to build up pressure again before use. It would be more generally intuitive.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 02:13:49 pm »

the Hellhound does get a pretty massive hit from the Heavy clip nerf and the Light ones can still use greased I guess, but still Heavy was a very viable alternative for more focussed damage if you used it as a disable and not DPS

But how much of a nerf is reducing firing speed on such a low-ammo capacity/slowish-firing weapon anyway?

Exactly my view. It won't change much for the heavy carronade, and the light carronade is perfectly good with greased.