Author Topic: The Mine Launcher  (Read 57833 times)

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: The Mine Launcher
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 02:48:22 pm »
Is there friendly-fire damage?  i.e. can it be turned against you or, more importantly, them?
There is friendly fire damage. Mass hysteria on the test server when we were using it in Canyons... hehehahehehaaha

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »
I just realized... I thought the sixth one detonated all of the previous ones, but it might just have been that they were too close to each other. So there you go. They blow other mines up. The explosion should act like a normal detonation (it was hard to test that, and I didn't get around to it).

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
Is there friendly-fire damage?  i.e. can it be turned against you or, more importantly, them?
There is friendly fire damage. Mass hysteria on the test server when we were using it in Canyons... hehehahehehaaha

Problem is that people just wont go into the canyons when they see mines on the other team.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »

Problem is that people just wont go into the canyons when they see mines on the other team.

This is what the test server is for. A possible counter to it is getting there first and firing a Hwacha volley that catches them too close to the mines they just layed out. And there are a lot of different passes. A downside for them is that they cant pass through either so if you circle you have them cornered and if they go to close to their mines that's awesome for you.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »
Well as long as I don't have a pyra with dual launchers up front shooting mines at me to kill me in 5 seconds, Ill be less worried.

While friendly fire for mines is pretty much required, it does open up potential for the less honest people of the internet too.

I think Im at a point that Ill have to use them myself to see.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »
*put mine launcher on back of Squid*

*go annoy Pyramidion*

*run away*

*drop tar barrel and wait a couple of seconds*

*launch mine backwards*

*wait for epic results*

Offline Seamus S

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 03:13:20 pm »
Does a tar cloud or sandstorm damage/detonate mines?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:54 pm »
I didn't get a chance to test that. Theoretically they should... Maybe somebody at Muse can clarify?

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 03:20:50 pm »
Can they be harpooned?

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 03:26:47 pm »
With friendly fire I see this getting some friendly and suicidal kills. Tar takes too long to do it right, but with something this powerful, it'd be easier to get the kill shot with. For a Pyra getting chased, it just fires the two MLs and runs into them.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 03:34:48 pm »
Double front mine Pyra gets up close, then starts backpedalling and firing mines. Yikes.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »
I did a brief test with the launcher. It takes 70% of the Pyra's Hull Armour, and 30% of the Permahull. Such, I assume it deals Pierce and perhaps some Shatter damage. I also noted a 5 stack of fire, but this is unconfirmed and highly unlikely.

On the topic of AoE, it is reckless to attempt to detonate the mines on purpose. The damage is substantial, and I suggest popping the balloon instead.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 03:47:23 pm »
Twin front MLs on a Pyra.. toe the launchers outward and slot yourself through the middle.  Anyone following has to be really careful to either thread the same path you took or make a wider/higher/lower avoiding turn.  Likewise front mount on a Junker, as long as you can swing the launcher far enough to the side to clear your own hull you can lave a nice surprise for a pursuer.  And it's probably masked by your hull until it's very late for the pursuer to take avoiding action.

This is going to be fun developing new tactics and strategies.  I've been looking forward to this every since I spotted Eric had added it to the Weapons table.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »
I'd like to know if it's 5 per gun or ship. 3 launchers on a squid...yum. Even one on the back, the hit and run is enhanced with a tar and mine gift as you leave.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »
Yeah, I've been really excited about these too. I'm just a bit worried about how they might work against pursuing ships.

On the topic of AoE, it is reckless to attempt to detonate the mines on purpose. The damage is substantial, and I suggest popping the balloon instead.

But if you want to detonate one in somebody's face, you need to go for the mine itself. You can do that with a merc pretty easily and safely.