Author Topic: Level restricted games  (Read 11126 times)

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Level restricted games
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:04:03 am »
So we've got level 1-3 matches. That's quite good!

But what about level 4+ matches only? Making them restricted as an option? So that new players can't join them and don't want to play anymore because the match was meant to be only for high level players. They mainly get killed pretty often in those matches and then shout out that they're so bad/this game is so bad that they don't want to play it anymore.

Maybe this might help the high level players too so, if they want to do some inofficial tournament-like matches they don't get "interrupted" by those new players.

There should still be mainly the allround games, but at least an option to enable those restrictions might be helping.

Just an idea. Now please tell me what you guys think about it! Unnecessary? Or may it lead to high level players only making restricted games? Let's discuss it.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: Level restricted games
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:36 am »
Levels 1-3 are a good indication of a newbie to the game, 4+ isn't an accurate indication of an actually competend player. I've had many level 4s+ play like they were still completely new.

The point is, leveling is depentant on achievement hunting, so it tells nothing of the player's actual competence level. The only thing a 4+ level restriction will do is make such players think they are actually 'good' enough now to since the restriction says so, when they obviously aren't.

Personaly I don't like it, I prefer to get a level 1 that will listens than a level 4 that might think he is good and not listen cause of such a system. Good players can be awesome from level 1 on this game, that's the magic of it. If they don't listen, they would never do it anyway, doesn't matter if they are level 234312, they are still bad players and will probably never learn.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:21:07 am by EchoLG »

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:48 pm »
That's why it should be only an option, not the regular.
Furthermore it's not that much to protect the high-level players from new players but to protect the new players from the high-level players if there's only level 6 and higher in there.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 01:31:02 pm »
I don't think making segregated lobbies by level will be good for the community as a whole. As it stands low level players tend to quit out of high level games out of frustration or fear. I have had frustrating play sessions due to the quality of crew and captains, but some of those crew and captains were level 4+.  I would prefer a kick feature so that captains can unload dead weight from their crew, but we all know that is not going to happen.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
As said: it should be only optional. But yeah, you're probably right. People will tend to create only those restricted lobbies and the community might be getting splitted.
Yeah, exactly, low level players tend to quit because of frustration. And that's exactly a first impression they shouldn't be getting, confronted with players that are much more experienced than them and thus roflstomping them. Most often those high-level games are stacked on one side with high-level players and beginners on the other side. That's exactly what shouldn't happen. Mixing it so there's an equal amount on each side would be nice. That's what the "open" lobbies are for in my opinion, to mix it up and take away the fear from new players.

I agree, there are high-level players that have only been farming and thus do not know how to really play the game. But you can show them how it's done! Help them to learn how to play the game in a team.

Once again, the idea is not to protect the high-level players or seperate the community. But since there is no matchmaking feature this was an idea how to help making the game a bit more userfriendly.

I don't like the idea of a kick feature I gotta confess. It's just so random, not limited to anything. It's not fair for most people. And I wouldn't prefer it over anything, even if it was vote kick. Sorry.

I'm open to other points of view on this topic!

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:52:20 pm »
I suggested this on the old forums, but a ship shuffle option would be nice. As you said the high level players tend congregate on ones side causing rofel stomps. I would like the loosing side to be giving a vote for ship shufffel at the end of the game. If the vote passes the ships of the winning and loosing sides are intermingled into two new teams. The crews of each ship remain the same, but the side that got lost now has some of the winning ships, an the side that won now has some of the loosing ships.

This will ensure if one team has come really good or really bad players the pain/glory of flying with them will be spread evenly among all players. It might not be good for clans who want to practice by stomping pub gamers, but since I don't belong to any clan, I could care less.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »
Now that's a cool idea! Ship shuffling, I like that. That could even out the teams a bit more, indeed.
There would still be the problem of captains shouting at new players because they don't know what to do, so it might still lead to frustration on both sides.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »
If one team is completely obliterating their opponents, chances are that changing the ships won't result in much of a different outcome.

Additionally, you'd get trolls who would all go Spires, and then all vote in favour of switching after the match (relying on the fact that at least one person on the other team wouldn't vote). That's certainly not something we want to see.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:20:42 pm »
I don't think making segregated lobbies by level will be good for the community as a whole. As it stands low level players tend to quit out of high level games out of frustration or fear.

I think it would be a good idea, for the reason you just gave. People ragequitting is a problem for people on both teams... And often it's because of:

As you said the high level players tend congregate on ones side causing rofel stomps.
That. It's not much fun for either side when games are so obviously mismatched. I really don't see why the higher level captains do this. Often they'll even see several people join on the other team in the lobby and quit straight away. Making more "approachable" games would mean they'd start quicker. I don't like playing in such games (on either side). Why not just move your whole ship across to balance things out? You may not be playing with your friends/clanmates, but by playing against them you'll actually have a challenge, rather than just obliterating the lower level ships yet again. And who knows, by each teaming with a lower level captain, you might even find new recruits for your clans.
Captain level mainly; a low level crew with a high level captain can hold their own against a higher level crew, but a higher level crew with a low level captain don't have much hope. Yes, I know level and ability aren't directly linked, but there is generally a correlation...

One thing I suggested in another thread was a number displayed, for each game in the list, showing the average captain level. That way potential joiners (both high and low level) would have an idea of what to expect.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:30:24 am »
That. It's not much fun for either side when games are so obviously mismatched. I really don't see why the higher level captains do this.
It is extremity frustrating flying with people who don't get it.  Once you have been on a highly competent crew/team going back to "lol I shot the bomb, why is my gun broke?" or worse yet  "Leeeroy Jenkins!" is hair pullingly aggravating. I totally understand why stacked games come about. This is why I suggested the ship shuffle. It will help spread the aggravation around the entire server until the newbies learn to be less newblie. I can put up with a bad match or two if there is the chance of foisting my horrible co-captain off on the other team so I can get a good match in.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:06 am »
I've actually always thought it would be a good idea for the losing team to be able to suggest a ship shuffle and the winning team to accept if they like.

I unfortunately am frequently guilty of flying with "stacked teams" since I like to get as much practice as possible in with my team and clan however I'll usually switch up teams if the other team requests it.  Having a way to just straight switch entire ships and crews would make this way easier.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:46:00 am »
If the teams are badly stacked (and I'll admit, I play on stacked teams a lot) I'll usually jump over to the over side and bring out the Duck Pharaoh with some kind of hugely preposterous build in the hopes that I can win. That is, unless I'm practicing for Cogs or having an especially good time on the ship I'm on (in which case I'll suggest switching teams to my whole crew). As Smollett said, switching entire crews around would be a nice feature to have. Hopefully that'll come with the crew system in the next feature patch.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:52:23 am »
There would be nothing stopping teams just making a new lobby to get around the lobby ship shuffle.

I'm not a fan of the idea anyway because I'd feel punished for playing with friends and clan mates.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
If you and your friends are driving newcomers away from the game you should be punished. Don't worry Zill this is I mean isn't all part of an elaborate campaign to have you nerfed.   ;)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57:38 pm »
It's mostly because I don't have sympathy for people who lose one match and call a game terribad. I certainly didn't win much starting out.

I also don't target newcomers to crush into the ground either, cause really there is no benefit to that.

Plus they always nerf me indirectly anyway, like lagging out Yiski, or making walls sticky, lol.