Author Topic: Spire Builds  (Read 27371 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Spire Builds
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 04:54:30 pm »
I did a double harpoon, hwatcha spire once...

I was...more effective than you would think.  Granted the double harpoon made the ships swing behind you...but that's what tarbarrel is for...

Don't quite remember if that was before or after the mass update.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34:32 pm »
Polaris won a Cogs match with the old Spire using double Carronade.  Used to be really good when they could aim down.

Offline Sugar Honey

• Salutes: 0
    • [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 02:17:19 am »
Okay, I found my optimal Spire build right now... or whatever you want to call it, but I'm running a medium-range sniper/brawl combo build with hwacha and merc on the stern guns. Left and right respectively are flare and light flak.

It works... BUT...

I haven't gone solo and I'm a bit wary. We disable the living hell out of anything that comes at us including pyramidions and goldies, and so far I have a couple deaths out of the three or four matches I flew it in, so amazing success.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 11:36:09 am »
I am gonna go Double Gat + Manticore Spire today. Wish me luck.

Offline Sugar Honey

• [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »
Double gat? Ermm..... Okay, lol. Think if you're running gats that you should us a hwacha because of range issues, but I suppose a lochnagar or heavy clip should extend the range of the gatling if I'm correct.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
Double gat? Ermm..... Okay, lol. Think if you're running gats that you should us a hwacha because of range issues, but I suppose a lochnagar or heavy clip should extend the range of the gatling if I'm correct.
The Manticore is the Hwatcha if I'm not mistaken. And you're thinking Lesmok. Lochngar breaks the gun with  single rocket.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »
The Manticore is the Hwatcha if I'm not mistaken.

You're not.

Offline Sugar Honey

• [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »
Yes, I meant to say Lesmok. :I

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
Letus and I just did a lumberjack / fieldgun / light flak spire. That was... so much fun. He used the standard lumberjack stuff, and I used Lochnagar shot. I was ripping open balloons and hulls in one shot with that piercing stuff.

Offline Sugar Honey

• [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »
Sorry guys, the drugs they gave me for my surgery are messing with my head... so all guns are pretty much the same for the next few days.... idgaf.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »
Letus and I just did a lumberjack / fieldgun / light flak spire. That was... so much fun. He used the standard lumberjack stuff, and I used Lochnagar shot. I was ripping open balloons and hulls in one shot with that piercing stuff.

I do love using those rounds. A lot of pilots hate when Gunners use them though. If used right, I think they're pretty effective. Challenging, but fun.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »
So I tried out the 2Gat/Hwacha Spire today with some people, it can work with a good crew and a decent ally, any games we won, were pretty close and it's pretty hard to handle it. Also, Mercuries are still a problem and don't get me started on Lumberjacks..

I'll call it 2gatcore for now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:23:31 pm by EchoLG »

Offline Sugar Honey

• [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 10:00:33 pm »
I like that very much, Echo X)

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:14 pm »
Keep in mind that it's still far from being effective, we had some luck on our side and didn't get horribly double teamed, even though my ally was pretty sub par during those games, the games we won were harsh and were in non-open maps except that one time in Dunes.

This ship, it's not realy not effective- well.. not as efficient as one would want it to be, it's very hard to pull off a trifecta without backfire from the enemy and the moment they can backfire, you will break like a piece of thin glass hitting the floor. It's way too risky for the rewards it offers and breaks way too easily, I honestly can't see how the devs can just say it is 'working as intended' while it's not even worth using over anything else other than just having some fun I guess or if you like its looks.

The more I think about it, the more I want that secong gun on the top deck to be facing bow, so it can get 2 mercs and a heavy gun on a single target, then it might be worth using over the Galleon sometimes, it would still be horribly fragile for an airship of such mass, but at least it would put out a lot more damage for what it;s worth.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:42:22 pm by EchoLG »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:56 am »
Never forget how close the helm is to the top gun.  Yes it's difficult, but if you put a flak on the starboard mount and preload it with heavy, a slight tweak to the wheel and 2 seconds off the helm can get a life saving kill. 

No Pyramidion can charge into gat and hwacha fire without losing it's armor at least once, some well placed flakshots will make sure it never arrives at its intended destination.