Author Topic: Other Options other than the tried and tested Gat/Flak  (Read 16122 times)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Other Options other than the tried and tested Gat/Flak
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:52:13 am »
I've recently been messing about... literally, and come out with some AMAZING results. such as..

An all banshee squid, with a certain angle you can get two firing at once then kerosene away and get the side and rear firing.

A junker with banshee at front, Gatling and flamers on sides.

any other Random loadouts that have helped you? let me know :) i want to try anything! :)

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
Re: Other Options other than the tried and tested Gat/Flak
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:20:56 am »
I now have pretty often seen a Gat/Flamer/Artemis Junker. I dont know about that one, you need a special way of approaching (other than gat/flak) which may be hard for new players. Furthermore you need a good co-captain to win with this setup. Also it highly depends on your enemies.

I figured out a way to use a Galleon effectively, been using it since... a long time. You need to know the basics of how to pilot a Galleon though (move as less as possible, stay at one position, only turn your sides with the enemy).
It contains 2 far range guns on the left side as well as a mercury and 2 CQC guns on the right side. Rear gun is a carronade.
That way you can shoot them from fair away and if they get close - simply turn your right side. If they get behind you and you cant aim for them (although using claw/kerosene) just shoot them down with the carronade, gives you time to repair and reposition.

I don't know about the all banshee squid... you don't have piercing guns on there and the banshee doesnt do that much damage.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:42 pm »
The banshee has a wider turning thus its forn/side overlap sweet spot is much wider than the overlap you get with the gat/flack. However there is an overlap with the gat/flack or gat/gat. When I went squid (before the last patch) I went Gat front Gat side and asked my ally to bring the explosive finishing move. The build was useless in a solo fight, but paired with a tanky explosive dealing ship it was pretty effective.

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »
I figured out a way to use a Galleon effectively, been using it since... a long time. You need to know the basics of how to pilot a Galleon though (move as less as possible, stay at one position, only turn your sides with the enemy).
It contains 2 far range guns on the left side as well as a mercury and 2 CQC guns on the right side. Rear gun is a carronade.
That way you can shoot them from fair away and if they get close - simply turn your right side. If they get behind you and you cant aim for them (although using claw/kerosene) just shoot them down with the carronade, gives you time to repair and reposition.

hmmm i might try that, sounds amazing! thanks man

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:05 am »
I've used a Field gun and Flak combo on the front of my Pyramidion. From a long distance you can take out their engines and  peel away their armor as your approaching. By the time their armor is down, you're in range for your Flak to finish them off, or a good ram if that doesn't work. If your front gunners are good shots, you should be able to obliterate anything but a Galleon in a single approach.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:57 pm »
Double carronade Pyramidion with Flaks or Mortars at the broadside. Blendermidion is best Pyramidion.

Also Carronade/Carronade Junker and Carronade/Mortar or Flak Junker with Artemis up front.

What can I say, I like carronades, I have to use one with anything.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:40 pm »
Favorite junker build is 2xBanshee left, Flamer front, and art/merc right. My ship takes some serious damage if we don't get the ambush, but in all other cases, if we get a handful of seconds before the other team has a chance to engage... everything has too many stacks of fire to focus more than one gun on us. And that gun usually goes up in flames, too.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »
Gat-Flamer was fun on the Pyra, born of a desire to knock off several achievements simultaneously (ram kills, set fires, crew/individual destroy components with flamer/incendiary).  Whilst it wasn't entirely effective when both Captains were using it, it was fun.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:30 am »
Mortar-Gatling is actually better than gatflak once you get close enough.

I've been wanting to try a close range carronade-mortar Pyra, which I've seen pulled off before. Would have probably been quite a bit better if it weren't for the silly carronade nerf.

My personal favourite is my double front gatling Pyramidion. Combined with kerosene, moonshine and chute vent, it makes for a lot of instakill rams.

Offline Masashi

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:14 pm »
mortar/mortar on the front guns of a Pyramidion I've seen work very effectively, and its fun to gun (however a bit punishing to keep repaired) The entire aim of it is to get in close, blow all hell up and then ram the opponent. Rinse repeat.

Great fun for going against spire and goldfish, if a galleon has a decent build, a good crew or a good view on you approaching, it can go a bit south though.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:00:10 am »
I fly a Junker of varying builds, like my mining Junker or my Artemis/Mortar build with a howitzer up front. I've also used Flamer/Mortar which is loads of fun.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:06:49 am »
one I used recently - flame + carronade on the front of a pyra

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:04 am »
Mines and mortars make a good combo.

Offline Ventidius

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 07:51:19 am »
An all heavy carronade Galleon on Canyons:

1: Park yourself in the fog between two mesa's.
2: Patience.
3: When no patience is available, send out bait-squid.
4: More patience or wait for baitsquid to return with new friends.
5: Explosions, mass screaming, wailing and general mayhem.*
6: Peer over the side to enjoy the view of downed ships getting aquinted with the ground. 

*(Manical laughter, barking of fancy commands to your guncrew and/or insults to your crumbling foes is highly recommended)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 01:03:44 pm »
I'm seeing a few more double-mortar pyras about.  It's effective, but pilots need to be a lot more aggressive when using it.  There's a real timidity about most pyra pilots these days, and it's a ship that needs to be flown hard and aggressively when you get into CQB.