Author Topic: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format  (Read 79964 times)

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 09:09:55 am »
HAHA COGS seeding, ain't that a joke? I'm sorry dude but we worked our asses off to get ready. Only to be told to fuck off. I really have no respect for this system. I mean 6 teams duke it out thats great.... and then the next week its 5 of the same teams with one new guy..... and then week 3 its 5 of the same teams against another new guy..... it was a unique idea when the population of the game was under 200 people. Not no more. It needs to graduate.

before you ask. Yeah Imadbro. We should be fighting today.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:14:56 am by Ofiach »

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 10:23:53 am »
HAHA COGS seeding, ain't that a joke? I'm sorry dude but we worked our asses off to get ready. Only to be told to fuck off. I really have no respect for this system. I mean 6 teams duke it out thats great.... and then the next week its 5 of the same teams with one new guy..... and then week 3 its 5 of the same teams against another new guy..... it was a unique idea when the population of the game was under 200 people. Not no more. It needs to graduate.

before you ask. Yeah Imadbro. We should be fighting today.

Five of the same teams with two new guys every week. Season 2 changed that bit.

I can understand that you're irritated... But... Well, to put it bluntly: It's not my fault you broke your arm.

There are other events if your team can't participate on a regular basis. The Cogs is a test of tenacity and adaptability under extreme circumstances... If your team can't play, it can't play. Likewise, if you signed up late, you have to accept that you're going to have to play after the teams that signed up before you. That's how a first-come, first-serve system works.

Now you haven't actually signed up yet... But the next spot available is actually during Week 1. I've got no idea where you got Week 3 from, unless that's when you actually planned to sign up... In which case, well... There's nothing I can do about that either.

I appreciate that your team performed well during Sky... But The Cogs doesn't seem from the Sky, just like Sky doesn't seem from Cogs. They're completely separate.

If you have any further comments or complaints, feel free to add me on steam or skype... But posting things ike "Only to be told to fuck off" when I don't think I've ever spoken to you before really just comes off as an effort to start a flamewar. I don't appreciate that sort of behaviour in the Cogs forums, we keep things civil here.

You can find the signup thread here:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1435.0.html

Feel free to sign up when your team is ready to play. Like I said: Season 2's newcomer matches have changed to support the influx of newer teams, all looking to prove themselves. Now the two newcomer teams face off against each other before going up against the Upcomer team in the ejection match. Still, I've got no doubt that Falconeers can take both matches effortlessly if push comes to shove, right?

A team can make it from the bottom of the cogs, right to the top in only three weeks. As a team, you only have to win four matches to dethrone Paddling. It's really that simple. With a little teamwork, analysis and talent, any team could do it.

Good luck.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 10:28:33 am »
All right. Now, something that I asked on another thread but may have been overshadowed by the other comments:

Why does the #1 qualifier for newcomers get 3b? 3c gets to play sooner, so presumably you'd want give that spot to the top-placed team in the round robin. Otherwise it's advantageous to place second in week 0.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 10:33:11 am »
Yeah Swallow answer the real issues here and stop using your baseless AUTHORITAH to pick on poor Ofiach!!!

XD

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 10:36:00 am »
All right. Now, something that I asked on another thread but may have been overshadowed by the other comments:

Why does the #1 qualifier for newcomers get 3b? 3c gets to play sooner, so presumably you'd want give that spot to the top-placed team in the round robin. Otherwise it's advantageous to place second in week 0.

Ah, right. Well, during Week 1, #3a will play to advance to challenger, whereas #3b will fight to avoid descending. #3c will wait until next week. So #3b actually plays before #3c... Except...

God damn it. I fucked up. Reverse the order from #3b-#3e. It's a little late to fix the spot numbers this week, but I'll get it done soon.

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 10:37:16 am »
Everyone was told week zero would be a round robin for new teams. Instead its 3 teams only. maybe this is baseless but I feel like i was lied to.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 10:38:31 am »
Everyone was told week zero would be a round robin for new teams. Instead its 3 teams only. maybe this is baseless but I feel like i was lied to.

...It's been that way from the start

Sunderland, can you fix this bit from the main post?

"The first of these round robins will feature the teams from the Week 9 Quarter Finals placed against each other for slots #3a, #3e and #3d.  In the event that one or more of the quarter-finalists are unwilling to participate, an additional team will be added to the Newcomer’s robin."

It should be

The first of these round robins will feature the teams from the Week 9 Quarter Finals placed against each other for slots #3a, #3c and #3b.  In the event that one or more of the quarter-finalists are unwilling to participate, an additional team will be added to the Newcomer’s robin.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 10:42:09 am »
All right, main post is fixed.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 10:46:55 am »
Ofiach, if you already stated you have no respect for this system, why are you whining in this thread? There are plenty of other tournaments out there for you.

Awesome, the Falconeers finished strongly in the Sky Tournament. Remind me what that has to do with Cogs again?

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:54 am »
Because we were told this was an open round robin format to decide teams for the COGS challenger bracket. It obviously is not that.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 10:53:13 am »
Not sure where you got that, but the Cogs system has remained the same for a while now.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 10:53:49 am »
I'm sorry Ofi, but the rules clearly state:

The second half will be first come first serve newcomer round robin for the remaining slots on the third cog. In the event of a full roster, there will be one more newcomer team than slots. For instance, if there are two slots available for newcomer teams, three newcomer teams will be permitted to participate in Week 0.

That section hasn't been updated since the thread was posted.

Offline Ofiach

• [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
Well i was obviously fed alot of lines of bull in steam and skype discussions.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 10:57:11 am »
From the rules thread
"Week 0
Week 0 consists of two round robin events to seed the five slots (#3a - #3e) on the Upcomer’s Cog.

The first of these round robins will feature the teams from the Week 9 Quarter Finals placed against each other for slots #3a, #3c and #3b.  In the event that one or more of the quarter-finalists are unwilling to participate, an additional team will be added to the Newcomer’s robin.

The second half will be first come first serve newcomer round robin for the remaining slots on the third cog. In the event of a full roster, there will be one more newcomer team than slots. For instance, if there are two slots available for newcomer teams, three newcomer teams will be permitted to participate in Week 0."

From the brackets thread
"Week 0 features two distinct phases to populate the third Cog on the board, the Upcomer's Cog. Six teams, three Season 1 veterans and three newcomer teams, face off within their respective groups for control over one of the five spots on the Upcomer's Cog. So who's playing? Let's take a look."

There is no mention of the Newcomer arrangements in the Announcement thread.

Again: I don't know where you're getting your information, but the rules thread (The first season 2 thread to go up) clearly states that at most, six newcomer teams would get to participate in Week 0... And even then, only if all three Season 1 seeded teams decided to drop.

I understand your frustration, but the newcomer's side of week 0 has been clear from the start.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »
I wouldn't have said this before, but it's getting ridiculous.

Something needs to be done about sniping matches. I have no problem with sniping itself, but I have a huge problem with matches being 3-2 after an hour. Every other team waiting to play has to sit through that, and it's the middle of the night for some of those people. It's not good to watch, it's not good for the teams waiting, and even the teams playing get bored (but still continue doing it for some inexplicable reason).