Author Topic: How to tell when to go for the kill  (Read 10551 times)

Offline snor-laxatives

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
How to tell when to go for the kill
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:26 am »
Alright, so I know that piercing weapons take out armor, and explosive are used to seal the deal after that, but when is the armor down?  I know that there's a hint for when the armor is down, but I havent been able to pick up on it.  Does the armor disfigure in someway similar to when the hull itself takes damage?

Help would be appreciated, and if any of you skilled fliers want to try and screen shot a ships armor as it goes down you should put it up here so that other semi-newbies and myself can pick up on it.

Thank you!

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell when to go for the kill
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:18 am »
Upper left hand corner is where you need to look. It will say the name of the player who destroyed the part and what the part is.

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:22:38 am »
There are also visual markers but as of yet I don't think there is a comprehensive list of them with screenshots or w/e. Hmmm... anyone want to help me do this? A little stint in sandbox mode with a Cap and a spectator should be all we need.

Either way, you don't always have a visual so the infostream is probably the most reliable way.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:30:17 am »
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1335.new.html
No need to double post. :) I had actually answered your question a few seconds before this one went up.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:44 am »
When a ship starts to take hull damage, you can see the condition of it deteriorate. Generally, if I see it pass through multiple stages of damage in a short amount of time, then I'll charge in after it, because that means we were doing a huge amount of damage. If, though, I see that it may only change once, then I will linger at whatever distance I was at and keep the damage up, because flying in closer can give that enemy team an easier time shooting at us, and give my team a harder time aiming for specific components.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:02 pm »
There are also visual markers but as of yet I don't think there is a comprehensive list of them with screenshots or w/e. Hmmm... anyone want to help me do this? A little stint in sandbox mode with a Cap and a spectator should be all we need.

Either way, you don't always have a visual so the infostream is probably the most reliable way.

I started a damage animation reference thread in the old forum, but I never got around to finishing it off.  If I post up what I have in a new thread, feel free to chip in with the ones I'm missing..

Offline Raystgar

• Salutes: 2
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:53:37 am »
If you are fireing a gun (eks. the Gatling) and the enemy hull armor goes down you can easily tell by your hit-markers getting smaller. I don't know how easy this is to see if you are on another gun. The way I usually do it is by telling the 2nd gunner in voice chat when I break the armor (or he tells me if he is on the piercing weapon).

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:48:18 am »
As a pilot who frequently flies a Squid, I'm always watching for our targets armor to go down so I can swing around for my starboard gun to destroy the hull. I pretty much tell my side gunner when to fire unless he's worked with me before and knows the drill.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »
IS THE ENEMY STILL IN THE AIR?!  GO FOR THE KILL! LEMME SEE YOUR WAR FACE!

This is my airship. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My airship is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my airship is useless. Without my airship, I am useless. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my airship and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:20:06 pm by JaegerDelta »

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 02:08:14 am »
IS THE ENEMY STILL IN THE AIR?!  GO FOR THE KILL! LEMME SEE YOUR WAR FACE!

This is my airship. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My airship is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my airship is useless. Without my airship, I am useless. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my airship and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

You really butchered my creed, just now.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:29:37 am »

You really butchered my creed, just now.

lol adding asterisk. *not actual rifleman's creed but modified quote from Full Metal Jacket (that i missed a sentence in).

better? :P