Author Topic: Ragequitting pilot captains and what to do about it  (Read 39989 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Ragequitting pilot captains and what to do about it
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:01 am »
How's this for an idea - level 1 players are level locked into playing with level 1-3  players unless invited to a match with higher levels, and vice versa for more experienced players, ie they can't crew in a level locked match unless they get invite/s from players in the match lobby.

Note I baulk at the idea of completely level locking the game.

That gets around a lot of issues while leaving relative freedom of play, also allowing higher level players to mentor new players in matches consisting of only new players if they (the experienced players) wish. In the sessions I've been running the response from older players has been fantastic, we've had completely experienced crews focused on training one role, yet organising involves a lot of waiting about, because while I have access as a trainer, I can't just set up a level 1-3 match then call in the experienced dudes.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 05:54:06 am »
QKO is level 3, so level restrictions wouldn't help there. Also by preventing the low level players joining "normal" games, they'd take longer to discover "how it all works", unless they are lucky enough to get more structured training like you suggest. That'd include stuff like how it's a team game, and how ignoring everyone and just doing your own stuff isn't going to get you anywhere...

And for QKO... Yes, surrendering is less easy, but ragequitting is lame, so...
Quite likely the troublesome players will quit after the match, especially if you tell them why you surrendered. You can report them if they are persist in being nuisances. You can also create a new lobby, or just jump to another existing one. Presumably this is what you'd do if you had just quit, so surrendering doesn't really make a difference here...

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 07:22:14 am »
Also by preventing the low level players joining "normal" games, they'd take longer to discover "how it all works", unless they are lucky enough to get more structured training like you suggest. That'd include stuff like how it's a team game, and how ignoring everyone and just doing your own stuff isn't going to get you anywhere...

that's exactly what I'm suggesting it to be used for - I'm seeing regular players getting involved in structured training sessions already ostensibly showing new players how to play a role, yet at the same time demonstrating what a "healthy" crew and team looks and feels like. There are however organisational issues which means spontaneity gets killed a little ie making sure everyone is on the same page as to what exactly it is we're doing takes time, a lot more than just clicking on Match and Ready, while this however is a handy filter for removing the "GO! GO! GO!" kind of player, it does mean people volunteering their game time need a lot of patience.

Also the kind of players that want to learn proabably won't have any trouble getting invites to non level locked games

surrendering is less easy, but ragequitting is lame, so...

especially if you tell them why you surrendered.

I had a game like that today - started out with an all AI squid then found myself with 2 level 1 gunners and a level 1 captain. Oh and the captain wasn't responding to voice chat or text chat, that with a level 2 team mate who was comming but had a crew consisting of a non-comm level 1 plus AI. I was in no condition to help him as a team mate nor was he me. I abandoned the match and told my team mate how to do the same in team chat.

After I went into global chat and explained why.