Author Topic: Matchmaking ideas  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Mkah Mvet

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Matchmaking ideas
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:03:06 am »
I'm still new, and just wanted to give my feedback so far.

I've reached level 3 as a pilot.  Out of my first 30-ish matches in levels 1-2 I won about 25, many without incurring a single loss.  I researched my loadouts, I feel like I'm a decent pilot.

Then I got to level 3, and locked out of the level 1-2 matches.  It feels like all other pilots are so far out of my league, I dread actually joining a match.

If I could make a feature request, it would be for better tools to pick more evenly balanced matches.  Maybe quick join sets people up more evenly matched, I don't know, I never use that feature in any game.  Still, a "competency rating" of some kind for each ship+crew/team/match would be a nice tool to find matches that could be used to find balanced matches would be awesome.

Along those lines, it would also be awesome if there were a tool to help a crew swap matches together for those cases when they, for whatever reason, want to be in a different match (maybe more or fewer players, or in search of a more balanced match) but still crew together.  Yes, that could be put done with existing mechanics, but a system to facilitate it would be nice.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmaking ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:54 am »
this isnt a game with a massive load of people like world of warcraft or league of legends.
ofcourse some games will be unfair, but this is mostly because some people quickjoin and dont know what to do.

pilotting a ship is hard and you learn alot by playing.

using the quickjoin button is just letting you quickly join a match (thats why its called "quick-join"), it never was mend to get ultimate balanced matchmaking.
if you think the teams are unbalanced and you get annihilated, then get out the game room and find something else that is more balanced.

i hope this answerd your question.

Offline Mkah Mvet

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:28:44 am »
Well, it wasn't really a question.  It was mostly just sharing my experience, and how I think that experience could be improved.  I understand balanced matches aren't a thing that will happen every single time, but at least giving the players better tools to find a match where they can actually have fun, whatever their skill level, is a good thing.

You're right about the size of the playerbase...  with a smaller playerbase it will be harder to find balanced games.  I don't think that's a valid excuse to not have the tools to strive for them.  The better balanced the matches, the more fun those matches can be, the more likely to have higher player retention, the faster the playerbase can grow. 

I like to think I'm a pretty decent pilot...  not the best, but good enough to have an idea of what I need to learn.  How much more must it suck for people who can't get the hang of it?  It would be interesting to see some kind of player retention numbers.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:06:38 am »
Since the current quick-join just drops you into already created lobbies, filled with people from various levels, it'd probably take some effort to implement a new system that can gather people of the same level at the same time and open up a separate part for them (or maybe not, I'm not a experienced programmer). But it's nevertheless a very interesting suggestion, and since it's (kind of) already done in the low level matches it shouldn't be that hard? They'd just have to make sure to let people of different levels play with each other if they want, so that we aren't completely locked with each other.

...and to answer your other question. A party system is in the works, which will let your crew switch matches together. Looking forward to that.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:09:58 am »
A simple addition that would make choosing a game easier for everyone would be if the average level of the players (or maybe only captains?) was shown for each game in the list.
That way, a rough idea of the skill level could be had without having to join each game, and without limiting choice in any way.

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:36 am »
I'd say Moos idea is definitely the easiest approach. If you go a bit too far down the path of dividing matches in the community for a player base this small, it will just get harder and harder to start games.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
it will be alright if the quickjoin gets you too people at the same kind of skill level (achievement level)

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:34 am »
Honestly I love playing higher level players. IMO it's the only way I'll get better. Winning will just cause me to continue using the same boring tactics.

I agree there could be a better balancing system, but I feel quick join should simply be removed. In a game that requires coordination and teamwork, you should at least get to talk to the other players. Joining an in-progress game should be done with care, even if you don't get the chance to meet.

I guess the bottom line is sucking at something is the first step to being good at it.