Author Topic: Any good loadouts BESIDES Gat/flak?  (Read 24439 times)

Offline WhiteWeasel

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Any good loadouts BESIDES Gat/flak?
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »
I swear gat/flak is as common as widowmines & speedyvacs in starcraft. Any ideas to break the trend? I seen a galleon with typhons & lumberjacks on each side and killed my pyra in less that 30 seconds. So that's a start.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Any good loadouts BESIDES Gat/flak?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:54:19 pm »
I think I see as many Hwachas as gat/flak, but... what ship are you asking about?

Offline WhiteWeasel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:03:48 pm »
Any ship that has light weapon points. G/F is super common on pyras and junkers. I main with pyra.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
I really like the gat/mortar... or the merc/art if you wanna go long range...and if Bubbles is to be believed, a dual poon ramming pyra is pretty effective... also there is the carronade rocket carosel... oh the choices :P though the gat/flak is one of the easiest builds to run with

*edit* the reason why the gat/flak is so good right now, is the fact that it combines piercing and explosive ammo types to give you the max killing power... most of my suggestions also follow this theory (except for bubbles' build)...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:16:11 pm by Shinkurex »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:25:44 pm »
If you play the range game merc/merc is preferred, but your gunners had better know how to shoot or you will be in a world of hurt. For close in work Gat/Gat works so long as you have a teammate with some explosive weapons to deliver the killing blow.

Gat/Morter vs Gat/Flack is being debated in this thread:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,821.0.html

The Gat/Flack  is so popular there is a thread dedicated to whether the Gat should be on the left side or the right:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,654.0.html

Recent patches have reduced the utility of using explosive weapons for armor stripping. So flying a ship without weapons of the "piercing" damage type is not recommended for anyone who plans on soloing a target. Still good coordination with your teammate is more effective than having the optimal 1v1 ship load-out.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »
The number one problem right now is probably due to the fact that there are only two piercing weapons now, the gat and the merc. I've seen some field gun pyra setups but personally find them boring, however until something is switched around with how effective piercing is against hulls the gat/flak loadout is not likely to go away.

But hey, experiment some! Take like a shotgun and a mortar, why not? The better you end up knowing all weapons they better you'll end up doing when things are balanced around :)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:35:05 pm »
Flame/mortar was awesome on squids before Muse screwed up how flames work. Was the ultimate chaos combination. I sunk so many ships till Muse ruined it.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:08:28 pm »
Carronade/Flak. Flechette does decent hull armor damage, and you get the bonus of biting their balloon. Very much a brawling combo.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:59 pm »
Carronade/Flak. Flechette does decent hull armor damage, and you get the bonus of biting their balloon. Very much a brawling combo.

Carronade Mortar
Same reasons, but if you're going to be that close with a carronade, you might as well use the higher DPS weapon that is harder to aim (but at close range, it should be simple)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:55:15 pm by Letus »

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 06:22:25 am »
carronade/grenade launcher on a junker

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:21 am »
What about a heavy flak and merc? oh wait... thats really just a long range gat flak.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:00:42 am »
we need more weapon choices

Offline Sonoskay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:16:27 am »

Junker. Left side: Carronade/flamer right side:  Merc/art   front: mortar
Goes with the whole short range/long rage broadside that a lot of galleon pilots like to do... The carronade/flamer was surpizingly effective, even with the flamer being "useless" at the momen

goldfish wirh carronade and flamers seems to work well too... (this is my standard goldfish setup.though i usualy keep a flak on one of the sides for some killing power if the ship refuses to go down.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »
I really like the gat/mortar... or the merc/art if you wanna go long range...and if Bubbles is to be believed, a dual poon ramming pyra is pretty effective... also there is the carronade rocket carosel... oh the choices :P though the gat/flak is one of the easiest builds to run with

*edit* the reason why the gat/flak is so good right now, is the fact that it combines piercing and explosive ammo types to give you the max killing power... most of my suggestions also follow this theory (except for bubbles' build)...

my team usually run the junker, Gats on bottom with mortars on top, and front is arturion. it works well.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:14:47 pm »

my team usually run the junker, Gats on bottom with mortars on top, and front is arturion. it works well.

well as long as we are talking junkers. Artemis on front bottom left and back left. for long to mid (even post rebalance nerf  burst rounds are really effective if you tell your gunners to aim for the general area of components you want down, plus they have a fairly large arc so you have an allowance for any dirty flying you gotta do.) Your right side is open to what ever you want then, but generally I  load it up to be a kill side for when you cut across the now disabled enemy ship.