Author Topic: Planes  (Read 22674 times)

Offline Tim the Enchanter

• Salutes: 1
    • [GMU]
    • View Profile
Planes
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »
I'm gonna probably get heat for this, but I want to discuss planes.

1. Can we have them?
2. Is it possible to have a nice balance with planes and airships
3. If so how would Muse implement them?
4. Are planes even worth fighting for?

If this is something that has already been discussed I'm sorry I want to hear (READ) other people's opinions on planes. :P

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Planes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:21 pm »
duno about planes but what about an airship that works like one?

for example it can only slow down to a point or it starts to drop or something like that

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:36 pm »
Muse has actually recently mentioned plans for AI-controlled planes or gliders or something, but they didn't get any more specific than that.

They'd be cool, but I think that they would need an option to be turned on and off. I wouldn't want to see them every match. I don't think they'd be that hard to balance, though.

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:19:15 pm »
Muse has actually recently mentioned plans for AI-controlled planes or gliders or something, but they didn't get any more specific than that.

They'd be cool, but I think that they would need an option to be turned on and off. I wouldn't want to see them every match. I don't think they'd be that hard to balance, though.

Maybe when a host sets up a match they can choose to have planes on or off. Also, I like the idea of having a 5 man crew, so one can be a plane pilot.

Pilots would have to be excellent plane pilots so they can take down their adversaries and then try to influence the airship battles.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:21:28 pm »
If they do add planes, i hope i can fly one of them. But i think Captain Phil had a design concept for a whole new ship that acts like an aerial carrier with planes and helicopters back in the old forum archive

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:40:30 pm »
If they do add planes, i hope i can fly one of them. But i think Captain Phil had a design concept for a whole new ship that acts like an aerial carrier with planes and helicopters back in the old forum archive

See I was thinking of the airship going at full steam with a plane attached to a claw underneath the hull and with the right conditions the plane can be released and it will fly off.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:44:46 pm »

See I was thinking of the airship going at full steam with a plane attached to a claw underneath the hull and with the right conditions the plane can be released and it will fly off.

Or maybe, if at a high enough altitude, the plane gets released by the claw, unhooking it, and dives to get to get to its full speed.  (engines will be on off course before the drop)

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:52:03 pm »

Or maybe, if at a high enough altitude, the plane gets released by the claw, unhooking it, and dives to get to get to its full speed.  (engines will be on off course before the drop)

Actually, I like your idea a lot better than mine. It's more realistic and would be one helluva good time diving in the very beginning. But, the next issue if we have planes is we have to have some kind of AA gun if our Plane's Pilot is useless.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:14:28 am »
Actually, I like your idea a lot better than mine. It's more realistic and would be one helluva good time diving in the very beginning. But, the next issue if we have planes is we have to have some kind of AA gun if our Plane's Pilot is useless.

AA guns as in anti-aircraft fire to shoot down planes, if so then i think the curret weapons in game are good enough. But if you are talking about a gunner on a plane with a pilot, i dont know about that. i think it should be a single pilot though per plane. sorry if i misinterpret this

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:12 am »
Planes and airship carriers has actually been (next to boarding) one of the most discussed topics in the GoIO forums. As N-Sunderland said, the devs have stated interest (both a long time ago and more recently) about some kind of plane used by AI's and perhaps even players.

EDIT: Here's some of old threads about the subject that I could remember:
http://gunsoficarus.com/community/forumarchive/discussion/comment/5781#Comment_5781
http://gunsoficarus.com/community/forumarchive/discussion/comment/11179#Comment_11179
http://gunsoficarus.com/community/forumarchive/discussion/comment/7358#Comment_7358

and a bit of the fan-concepts for them
http://gunsoficarus.com/community/forumarchive/discussion/95/ship-ideas-and-design#Item_69
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:27:51 am by Sgt. Spoon »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:25:45 am »
There's a thread for a "carrier airship" on this forum, and several on the old forum.

My opinion is that it's perhaps ok for AI, but for player controlled planes the physics if fixed-wing flight aren't very tolerant of lag and connection speed issues.  The current four-person crew set-up is very strong and encourages team play, and most of the calls for planes are to introduce a single-player vehicle - that would change the competitive dynamic, and I don't think that would be for the better.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:37 pm »
Muse's response to the question "Are there planes in this game?" asked by somebody on FB.

"Not yet! But there will be in the future."

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:27 am »
Muse's response to the question "Are there planes in this game?" asked by somebody on FB.

I really hope it doesn't break the game (or rather the "feel" of the game).

Offline SeaMichelle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:08 am »

Oh dear. I'm gonna go hide.

Personally, I don't think planes are a good idea for skirmish mode. However, for adventure mode, that's a different story.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:51 am »

I really hope it doesn't break the game (or rather the "feel" of the game).

I don't think that this will break the feel of the game to be honest. This just adds a different type of strategy to the game. Muse would not sacrifice the current feel just to add features.  They will incorporate it in.